Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Measuring vial?  (Read 3012 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Measuring vial?
« on: January 07, 2014, 08:50:16 am »
There has to be a better and more accurate way to measure lactic Acid than what I have been doing.  I have a pipette and bulb, which work well for drawing the fluid out of the bottle, but the amounts I add are hard to discern on the pipettes that I have, and it is apparently beyond my ability to keep the bulb pressure steady so as to keep the right amount in the pipette once I think I have it.  The consequence is that I am sure my volumes of Lactic Acid are inaccurate and way too variable.

I have in mind that there must be a small vial-like thing that has the tenths of milliliter measurement marks (my last brew required .7 of a milliliter) on the side so I can use the pipette to draw and the vial to measure and deliver to the mash.  Is there such a thing?  What is it called and where can I get one?  maybe there is a better way - if so, what?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline james

• Brewer
Re: Measuring vial?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 09:07:25 am »
Graduated cylinder, smallest size is probably about 10ml but there would be marks for every .1 or .2.

Another option is to dilute it so you are using something like 7ml instead of .7

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 09:27:47 am »
A pipette pump and some 2mL pipettes makes this stuff super easy. You stick the pipette on the bottom and draw liquid in using the wheel which moves a plunger. The plunger stays put on its own.

http://www.amazon.com/SEOH-PIPETTE-PUMP-2ml-Blue/dp/B00191BW4C

http://www.amazon.com/SEOH-Mohr-Pipets-Class-2ml/dp/B00191LR4C/ref=pd_sim_indust_2
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 09:37:03 am »
Awesome!  I just ordered a pipette pump and a 5 ml graduated cylinder.  I'll play with both and see which I like using more.  Thanks!
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 09:39:23 am »
I just use a syringe marked in ml.  Too easy?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 09:41:01 am »
I'm a little too lazy to be that precise. I convert ml to tsp and use my measuring spoons to approximate. PH seems to be on target that way.

Denny's syringe idea seems like a better option. I'll see if any smack addicts in my neighborhood can lend me a syringe.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 09:43:54 am »
I'm a little too lazy to be that precise. I convert ml to tsp and use my measuring spoons to approximate. PH seems to be on target that way.

Denny's syringe idea seems like a better option. I'll see if any smack addicts in my neighborhood can lend me a syringe.

Or just buy one in the pet section  of a grocery store....

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 09:48:24 am »
Oh yeah, I've done that too. Very pragmatic Denny.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 09:48:36 am »
88% Lactic acid weighs ~ 1.21g/ml so if you have a scale it's easy to convert the ml needed to grams.  I used to convert to tsp as reverseapachemaster mentioned and had good luck that way too.

<EDIT>    The only trick to using the scale is to pour slowly so you don't overshoot.  Works great though.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 10:25:57 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 09:53:38 am »

+1, i use a 3 ml syringe that is marked every 0.1 ml.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 10:05:55 am »

Way too easy.  Now I'm off to buy one of those...
Steve
BJCP #D1667

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 10:09:35 am »
Whew!  Caught the order in time on Amazon to cancel the pump and the cylinder order.

I just love simple, cheap solutions!
Steve
BJCP #D1667

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 10:33:18 am »

I just love simple, cheap solutions!

Me too, but bear in mind you're losing the "WOW" factor that increases the barter value of your homebrew. ;)
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 01:27:47 pm »
3, 3 ml syringes for less then 50cents at the local medical supply store.  Thanks Denny!
Steve
BJCP #D1667

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 02:02:17 pm »
3, 3 ml syringes for less then 50cents at the local medical supply store.  Thanks Denny!

de nada

www.dennybrew.com