Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sunlight On My IPA!  (Read 6324 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Sunlight On My IPA!
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 04:01:17 am »
Did an actual skunk pay a visit when you had your back turned?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 05:02:54 am »
"Sunlight .... on my IPA .... makes me unhappy"

John Denver

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 07:08:44 am »
A little story about how fast a well hopped beer can skunk:

I was hanging out with some friends getting ready to grill some food on a beautiful sunny day.  I poured myself an IPA and walked outside to fire up the grill. I set my glass on the deck railing (in direct sunlight), lit the grill, turned around and grabbed my beer, put it to my nose and it was skunked  >:( It was maybe 20 seconds!
Sorry but I am a little skeptical. Drinking beer in the sun is not uncommon. If this were true, beer gardens, beer festivals, tailgate parties, and more would serve horrible beer.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Stevie

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014, 07:25:49 am »
Basic brewing did a video regarding skunky beer.

http://youtu.be/oZuHmglowJA

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2014, 07:26:08 am »

I was hanging out with some friends getting ready to grill some food on a beautiful sunny day.  I poured myself an IPA and walked outside to fire up the grill. I set my glass on the deck railing (in direct sunlight), lit the grill, turned around and grabbed my beer, put it to my nose and it was skunked  >:( It was maybe 20 seconds!
Sorry but I am a little skeptical. Drinking beer in the sun is not uncommon. If this were true, beer gardens, beer festivals, tailgate parties, and more would serve horrible beer.

Don't be too skeptical, it's happened to me on a number of occasions. I've left a glass of IPA in sunlight for a few minutes and could pick up skunky notes. Not saying the beer was ruined. But the notes were there.

I can remember a story from Matt Brendleson on BN where he said he had hop residue on his hands and clothes and walked into sunlight and he smelled like skunky weed.

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2014, 07:40:01 am »
"Sunlight .... on my IPA .... makes me unhappy"

John Denver

;D, glad I am not the only one.

"Sunshine..on your I pee A...will make you cry"

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2014, 07:59:14 am »
Don't be too skeptical, it's happened to me on a number of occasions. I've left a glass of IPA in sunlight for a few minutes and could pick up skunky notes. Not saying the beer was ruined. But the notes were there.
OK, I will be less skeptical.

I can remember a story from Matt Brendleson on BN where he said he had hop residue on his hands and clothes and walked into sunlight and he smelled like skunky weed.
Wait, doesn't the reaction need ethanol? Or is it something else not present before fermentation? This is why we can boil in the sunlight, but not ferment.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2014, 08:01:30 am »
Gotta love a good John Denver reference.  Nothing cheesy about those tunes.         :D
Jon H.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2014, 08:45:08 am »
Yeah I think they say the reaction takes about 15 seconds to cause your beer to become lightstruck in direct sunlight.  Lighter beers get hit faster than darker beers.  Hoppier beers before less hoppy beers. I've had it happen to me far more often than I would like....
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2014, 09:03:01 am »

I can attest that it really can happen that fast.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2014, 09:09:36 am »
OK, I will be less skeptical.

Wait, doesn't the reaction need ethanol? Or is it something else not present before fermentation? This is why we can boil in the sunlight, but not ferment.

There was some info a while back that seemed to indicate it required yeast byproducts, not ethanol in particular but the reactions between the hop compounds that get skunky and the yeast are related to the skunking reaction. However, more recently there was some research that seemed to indicate that it can still happen pre fermentation but not as much or as quickly. However, if you've got hops hash all over your fingers and clothes I bet it can happen pretty quick.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2014, 10:35:33 am »
Ray Daniels wrote up something on this in an old Zymurgy if someone has the time to search it out.  There must be riboflavin present (I think) which is a byproduct of fermentation.  The beer must be light penetrable, if that's a word, so the lighter the beer the quicker it is light struck.  Also the hoppier the beer the more it will stink.
I remember going out into the beer garden of a brewpub once and asked for a paper bag for my pint.  I hate skunky beers that much.  My wife thinks I'm overly geeky, but at least my IPA will smell good.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2014, 10:46:30 am »

I can attest that it really can happen that fast.

+1

I inadvertantly tested this a couple of summers ago, when I left a fresh (unskunked) glass of Pilsner to sit on my deck railing in full sun for about 10 minutes. The beer was moderately skunky in aroma and had a distinct skunky flavor upon tasting. Leaves no doubt that this reaction will occur if given the opportunity.
Ron Price

Online ynotbrusum

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2014, 11:48:26 am »
So is it the UV rays, predominately, or can this happen from an incandescent light bulb?  What about opaque fermenters (buckets or similar) in a fermentation chest with a regular light bulb as the heat source?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2014, 12:16:06 pm »
UV is the issue.  AFAIK, no problem with incandescent.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell