Author Topic: Bottling off a keg  (Read 3178 times)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Bottling off a keg
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 02:51:49 PM »
Thanks guys! All good advice.... Seems like an easy and legit practice.
Frank

Online blatz

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 02:55:21 PM »
def don't do the carb tabs.  seems they never fully dissolve in my experience.

all the methods/contraptions above work well - I've used them all and still do based on what I'm filling off of.

good luck!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 03:42:47 PM »
I use pretty much what Denny uses.  A piece of an old racking tube fits perfectly inside the cobra tap.  Phils Philler fits, too.

I recommend bottling with the bottles in some sort of tub.  I always have some overflow and it helps contain the mess.

I've used pretty much every type of carbonation tablet manufactured.  I have not been particularly happy with any of them.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Online Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 04:20:17 PM »
I'm not using any equipment to do this yet...haven't tried it because I didn't know it was a good idea or not  :P

Normally when I bottle, I just use a bottle filler with a stopper. So, I should be able to find a hose that will stretch over the tap faucet and use that.

Jon, the only places I've gotten growlers filled, the assclowns just filled them like a glass of beer lol.

So, the reason why I want to do this is to fill a few bottles off a keg for competition purposes. Or should I just fill the bottles out of the fermenter and use those carbonation tablets?

Nooooooooooooo!
Do what works for you but when I tried those tablets my lovely IPA developed a gnarly flakey precipitate/sediment that turned me off from those things forever. Effing gross. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brew Crew
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 04:22:50 PM »
No tablets... Understood... Have never used them
Frank

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 04:46:05 PM »
The only thing I'd add to Denny's link is that I have found using a bottling wand through the stopper and then Connecting the want to the cobra tab via a short piece of tubing that fits snuggly OVER both the want and the tap. I figured this out after the wand slipped out of the end of the cobra tap and the 'counter pressure' suddenly meant a beer fountain!

I'll try to remember to take a pic of my set up and post tonight.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 04:55:45 PM »
The only thing I'd add to Denny's link is that I have found using a bottling wand through the stopper and then Connecting the want to the cobra tab via a short piece of tubing that fits snuggly OVER both the want and the tap. I figured this out after the wand slipped out of the end of the cobra tap and the 'counter pressure' suddenly meant a beer fountain!

I'll try to remember to take a pic of my set up and post tonight.

Thanks Mort!
Frank

Online HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 05:14:13 PM »
I've done the wand through the cobra too - works well. 
Jon H.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2014, 09:12:23 PM »
Okay Here it is. Not the best picture but lets see how it looks.

hopefully you can see how the short piece of tubing is forced over the end of the cobra tap. this way the thing won't suddenly come apart when you have a 22 oz bottle mostly full of beer at ~8 PSI.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2014, 10:08:10 AM »
Id stay away from the carb tabs, they can leave an unwanted film on the top of your beer.  Id also suggest using a Counterpressure Bottle Filler.  I bought a beergun but that DIY version looks great:)
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2014, 10:47:58 AM »
hopefully you can see how the short piece of tubing is forced over the end of the cobra tap. this way the thing won't suddenly come apart when you have a 22 oz bottle mostly full of beer at ~8 PSI.

Mort - does the change in ID of the tubing (smaller to larger to smaller) seem to cause any additional foaming?

I just cram the racking cane into the tap and, while it has come apart on me once or twice, I haven't had any major mishaps.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2014, 11:05:41 AM »

Mort - does the change in ID of the tubing (smaller to larger to smaller) seem to cause any additional foaming?

I just cram the racking cane into the tap and, while it has come apart on me once or twice, I haven't had any major mishaps.

It doesn't seem to increase the foaming at least not enough to have made me take note. Generally when I'm filling foam starts to come out around the stopper when the beer level is about half way up the neck of the bottle. I keep going till beer starts to come out around the stopper and then stop. because I'm using a bottling wand with the tip attached I end up with headspace but it's mostly foam and I haven't had any o2 issues so far. But to be safe you can take the filling tip off the wand so that you can top off a bit.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2014, 11:10:36 AM »
Half-way up the neck sounds about right, so I'd say there's no real impact.  That's about what I get, too, on average.  Sometimes more, sometimes less.  Sometimes I'll get almost no foaming at all, but that's uncommon.  When that happens, I stop and then give it a final shot of beer and up comes the foam.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2014, 11:32:39 AM »
I use a counter pressure filler.  I fill a lot of bottles off of kegs as I enter a decent amount of competitions.  I have done the tubing on the tap and it works in a pinch but I wouldn't be able to do it all the time.  I also have had more infected bottles when using the tap lines vs having a dedicated bottler.  That would only effect storing the bottled beers.  If you're just bottling to bring to a friends house or something I wouldn't worry too much about it... Just minimize foaming and you'll be good.  It's basically like filling a growler.  If you can fill from the bottom that will help minimize foaming as well.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2014, 12:12:36 PM »
If you go the stopper route don;t get all clever and use a length of 1/4" copper tubing. That's how I found out about copper use post-fermentation. ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman