Author Topic: Baby Hiatus...how long is enough?!?  (Read 1140 times)

Offline erockrph

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Baby Hiatus...how long is enough?!?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 11:02:08 AM »
If time is tight, then either knock off a quick extract brew, or even better - make some mead.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline scottNU

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 12:31:15 PM »
6 weeks, in my opinion.  I found that the first 6 weeks with a new baby was a time of maximum sleep deprivation.  Once everyone was sleeping a little bit better, than normal "life" began to return including brewing, basketball playing and improved personal hygiene.

Wow, I was so tired.  And my wife did most of the work!

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • St. Louis, MO
    • View Profile
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 12:51:51 PM »
On a related note: the new BYO has an article detailing a 2-hour brewday.

It might be a bit easier to find a 2-3 hour window than 8-12 hours...
@southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments:
http://southhousepilotbrewery.blogspot.com/

STLHops Homebrew Club:
http://STLHops.com/

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 01:47:24 PM »
make some mead.

+1 
I made a batch of prickly pear mead a few days before my son was born.   He's 14 now.  Still have 22 - 750mL bottles of it laid down in the cellar.  I made them for him to have for special events throughout his life.

The prickly pears came from cacti growing on the dunes that front the beach along Playalinda at Canaveral National Seashore - in the shadow of launch pad 39B.  It was a tradition of mine to go there on Labor Day weekend and pick pears for meadmaking.  My son was born 9/9/99.

It was legal to pick the pears there as long as they were not used commercially.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2014, 06:54:26 PM »
make some mead.

+1 
I made a batch of prickly pear mead a few days before my son was born.   He's 14 now.  Still have 22 - 750mL bottles of it laid down in the cellar.  I made them for him to have for special events throughout his life.

The prickly pears came from cacti growing on the dunes that front the beach along Playalinda at Canaveral National Seashore - in the shadow of launch pad 39B.  It was a tradition of mine to go there on Labor Day weekend and pick pears for meadmaking.  My son was born 9/9/99.

It was legal to pick the pears there as long as they were not used commercially.

I had no clue prickly pears grew in Florida. Now I need to convince my wife to take a road trip next time we go to Disney...
Eric B.

Offline punatic

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2014, 06:58:39 PM »
They grow here in Hawaii too.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2014, 08:42:04 PM »

+1

Also, im going to state the obvious that noone has.  Have you thought to ask her?

2cents

Ps.  Anyone know where to buy prickly pears online? i havent been able to find them here in MA.
Cheers,
Jeff
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline klickitat jim

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2014, 09:02:32 PM »
Brew when you want too. Just keep in mind that your kid time is use it lose it.

I also like to make brewing my wife's option. As in "hey baby, you feel like getting freaky? No?  Ok, I'll just go brew."

Offline morticaixavier

• Davis, CA
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2014, 09:29:09 PM »

+1

Also, im going to state the obvious that noone has.  Have you thought to ask her?

2cents

Ps.  Anyone know where to buy prickly pears online? i havent been able to find them here in MA.
Cheers,
Jeff

They do, or used to grow, all the way up to Maine as a native plant. Don't know where, if anywhere they are left in MA. And I don't know if they ever fruit that far north.

Offline erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2014, 09:52:47 PM »

+1

2cents

Cheers,
Jeff

I see them in the local supermarkets (i.e., Stop & Shop) all the time. They're usually in the section with the starfruit, persimmons, papayas, etc. when they have them in.
Eric B.

Offline punatic

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2014, 11:51:25 PM »
Brew when you want too. Just keep in mind that your kid time is use it lose it.

Truer words have never been spoken.  They grow up in the blink of an eye.  Love 'em while you have 'em!

Prickly pear are cactus fruit.  They grow wherever cactus grow.  There are a gozillion different varieties; some fatter than others.  The prickly part is the rub though.  Messin' with them is worse than glassing a surfboard bare handed.  Cover up!

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2014, 07:17:49 AM »
How long is enough is a personal situation question.  I have a 2.5 year old and a 2 month old.  I brewed 1 week after my most recent….but I started mashing in at 11 when everyone went to bed.  Not my most enjoyable brew day but it allowed me to get in a barrel project while not forgoing my family responsibilities.  I do think you should just ask.  Often it works out for me by saying "Hey, I would like to brew this weekend.  But lets make sure you get some time for yourself in the coming days".  Usually resulting in a shopping trip or her going to do some yoga. 

Our midwife didn't drink beer…but I did brew my wife's favorite recipe so it was ready to go when baby was born and she was wanting a drink. 

Congratulations on your upcoming birth! 
Hermen D.
Liquid Poets Society - Homebrew Club

Offline dglucasii

• Cellarman
  • I'd rather be brewing
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2014, 06:01:10 PM »
Great advice all around!
I'm currently aging a mead and a barley wine, so I have some long lead projects going on to tied me over until I get back into it.  Great idea on brewing my wife’s favorite (Classic German Pils)…selling that will not be no issue.  I may take a few months off, but I’ll get back into it by brewing during off-hours to not sacrifice family time.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2014, 06:09:35 PM »
Ive heard of people mashing overnight so they can boil earlier in the AM before the day truely starts.  might be a good thing for you to look in to considering your upcoming lifestyle changes.
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

cornershot

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2014, 08:59:45 PM »
Ive heard of people mashing overnight so they can boil earlier in the AM before the day truely starts.  might be a good thing for you to look in to considering your upcoming lifestyle changes.
In winter, on the night before brew day, I crush the grains and place my strike water on the wood stove. When I wake up, all it takes is a few adjustments with cold water to get the right temperature and I'm mashing before the coffee's done brewing. After breakfast I pull the grain bag, rinse it, and commence boiling. An hour later I'm chilling and it might be only 9 am or earlier. That leaves plenty of time for the family.
I know not everyone has a wood stove but I've put my pot on an electric stove burner on low and woke up to strike water that was almost hot enough.