Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast for IPA then a Pale ale  (Read 2263 times)

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
Yeast for IPA then a Pale ale
« on: January 07, 2014, 10:43:20 pm »
So once again I am asking all these newbie questions. I honestly try and research first before coming here, but it is what it is. So I have an IPA that is getting transferred to the secondary tomorrow to dry hop. There is a beautiful 1 inch layer of yeast on the bottom right on top of the sediment. I am going to harvest it for future use. I am making a 10 gallon batch of a pale ale recipient I found next Wednesday. So would this yeast be ok for a pale ale, or should I stick to a IPA the next time I use it?  So many frickin questions! I should buy a book on yeast.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Yeast for IPA then a Pale ale
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 10:56:24 pm »
I think it would be fine. you might get some hop bitterness carryover but probably not a ton. If you want you could make a starter with a tablespoon of the yeast from the IPA and use that in the Pale Ale. but you don't have to.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 01:18:20 am »
Yeah, what mort said.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 06:33:28 am »
I reuse all the time and I have yet to see an issue with flavour carryover. For a 10 gal batch you probably need about a cup or so. Check mr malty. Using the whole cake would be over pitching and that would be worse in my opinion. So a 1/2 cup in 5 gals or so (just guessing- check mr malty) won't be much of a percentage in the final brew.
I say go ahead or do a starter ala mort, either works but I wouldn't personally bother with the starter just for the tiny hop carryover concern.

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 07:19:34 am »
I wouldn't personally bother with the starter just for the tiny hop carryover concern.

+1. The only time I thought I might have had a little flavor carry over was when I used some spices.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 07:59:44 am »
I wouldn't personally bother with the starter just for the tiny hop carryover concern.

+1. The only time I thought I might have had a little flavor carry over was when I used some spices.

+2 i think the idea of pitching from small to big and light to dark is a set of ideal circumstances, but ones which I often break, and needless to say, I've never noticed any problem with it.

that said, I won't repitch yeast from a batch over ~1.070 or something super dark, roasty like my recent american oatmeal stout, unless it was going right back into a stout. 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 08:27:46 pm »

+2 i think the idea of pitching from small to big and light to dark is a set of ideal circumstances, but ones which I often break, and needless to say, I've never noticed any problem with it.

that said, I won't repitch yeast from a batch over ~1.070 or something super dark, roasty like my recent american oatmeal stout, unless it was going right back into a stout.

Agreed. Sick and tires yeast is a different issue and I wouldn't go dark to light unless I could live with the colour impact. Schwarzbier to Pilsner, probably a bad idea.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 05:00:12 am »
Generally it is better to start with the lower gravity beer (pale ale) and then go to a higher gravity beer (IPA). And recently I got a bit cavalier and decided to test this theory and used a slurry from a 1.077 tripel down to a 1.050 Belgian Pale and dumped the latter.

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 07:29:59 am »
recently I got a bit cavalier and decided to test this theory and used a slurry from a 1.077 tripel down to a 1.050 Belgian Pale and dumped the latter.

Shuucks...how come you dumped it?  were the yeast pooped as predicted or did it have other flaws? 

edit: no seriously - just curious why you dumped it.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 09:08:02 am by pinnah »

Online ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 08:17:50 am »
Generally it is better to start with the lower gravity beer (pale ale) and then go to a higher gravity beer (IPA). And recently I got a bit cavalier and decided to test this theory and used a slurry from a 1.077 tripel down to a 1.050 Belgian Pale and dumped the latter.

Agreed, as to stepping up to higher gravity as the preferred method, but what about using a greater amount of the yeast slurry when stepping down or making a starter to then step down to a lighter gravity?  As to color, couldn't the same idea apply vis a vis a using a starter to avoid the color transfer or stepping down from dark to amber to light copper to lighter lager?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"