Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottling off a keg  (Read 8309 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Bottling off a keg
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2014, 03:23:24 pm »
I also have had more infected bottles when using the tap lines vs having a dedicated bottler.  That would only effect storing the bottled beers.

You bring up a good point.  If I'm bottling something I plan to store, I hook up a clean tap line with preferably a new faucet.  If not new, it's cleaned and sanitized so that I'm not bottling from the icky sticky tap that's been hanging in my fridge.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2014, 08:06:30 pm »
Thanks for all the advice. I went to the LHBS today and got a bottle and growler sized bung. I'll drill them out this weekend. I'll use a bottling wand. I also picked up a picnic tap, 5 feet of beer line, and an out disconnect. So I will have a dedicated bottling line.
Frank

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2014, 10:07:04 pm »
I'm going to get the Beer Gun. I love DIY, but I've heard nothing but good on the BG.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2014, 11:26:06 pm »
I'm going to get the Beer Gun. I love DIY, but I've heard nothing but good on the BG.

Doubt you'll regret that purchase Jim, I've been really happy with mine.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2014, 11:41:59 pm »
Ya, the plan it 100% kegging and bottle off that as needed. I'm terrible at bottle conditioning

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2014, 01:43:57 pm »
I pulled the spring tip off my bottler and shove the tube into a picnic tap. All other steps about the same. Sanitize. Chill bottles. 2-3 psi on keg.

Sent from the future using Tapatalk
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2014, 02:36:12 pm »
One thing I never see about the DIY (ie BMBF method) method is mention of how long the carbonation lasts when the filled bottles are stored at room temp. I don't have room in my fridge for a case of beer if I were to bottle a bunch off. I do use the BMBF method, but it seems like bottles stored at room temp tend to lose their carbonation. I suppose I should slightly over carbonated the beer I plan to bottle.
How about the Blingmann beer gun? Do the bottles stay carbonated indefinitely stored at room temp?
Jesse

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2014, 02:48:37 pm »
One thing I never see about the DIY (ie BMBF method) method is mention of how long the carbonation lasts when the filled bottles are stored at room temp. I don't have room in my fridge for a case of beer if I were to bottle a bunch off. I do use the BMBF method, but it seems like bottles stored at room temp tend to lose their carbonation. I suppose I should slightly over carbonated the beer I plan to bottle.
How about the Blingmann beer gun? Do the bottles stay carbonated indefinitely stored at room temp?

I do try for a slightly higher than desired carbonation but I have never noticed a bottle lose carbonation over time. I would think that if it's there a couple hours after bottling it will be there a couple months, unless the cap isn't set.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2014, 05:13:40 pm »

I haven't noticed carbonation diminishing over time in beers that I've bottled that we're adequately carbonated to begin with. Like Mort said I also tend to bump the PSI a bit a day or two before I know I'm going to bottle just to compensate for carb loss during transfer.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2014, 11:12:16 am »
If done right (without loosing too much CO2 to foaming), yes.

Well....continue lol....elaborate on how to do it right

Sanitize bottle, cap and faucet
Turn off gas to keg
Vent most of the pressure from the keg
Purge bottle with CO2 (optional)
Gently fill bottle from tap (holding the bottle at an angle to prevent foaming)
Cap on foam
Turn gas back on to keg

If you are filling multiple bottles, you might need to give the keg a shot of CO2 every so often to keep the beer flowing at a good rate.
+1 and nothing to buy.....even for $1.
Dave Zach