Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WLP 568 temp question  (Read 3994 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
WLP 568 temp question
« on: December 31, 2013, 06:36:08 pm »
Got the starter cold crashing in the lager fermenter Chest for a brew day tomorrow...any thoughts on what temps for how long with this strain for best results? White labs says 70-80, but I'm thinking a few days at 68 would be better, then ramp it up each day after that until high 70's are reached. I have the heater wrap and thermowell ready to run...
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
Re: WLP 568 temp question
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 09:52:11 am »
I've had success pitching this at 69, then letting it free rise to 78, and holding it there until it's done.
Mark Gres

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 07:37:00 am »
Thanks for the info - I guess this is one where the manufacturer's recommendation is worth heeding.  I'll leave it until after work today in the 60's and increase it tonight to mid 70's!

Offline Stevie

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 08:33:55 am »
My SOP for saison is pitch at 68, hold for 24-36 hours, then let it free rise up to 78°. Sometimes need to put a little more effort into the dupont strain, but these days I am solidly a 3711 guy.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 03:58:54 pm »
Cranked the heater to 76 (digital thermostat with thermowell probe being used with wrap heater on bucket), so it is doing great in the kitchen.  Sugar addition Sunday to prevent the stall - I may crank it to 80 then.  Hoping for the best!

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 08:48:32 am »
I wouldn't worry too much about the stall. WLP 568 is very reliable. Cranking it up to 80 will definitely help it finish quickly though, so go for it.
Mark Gres

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 03:26:51 pm »
You were right on with that - no stall at all.  When I added the cooled sugar solution Sunday and ramped up to 80F, the yeast cake appeared to be at full krausen still and it has kept on going.  I suppose the next question is whether to drop the temp at some point to encourage the krausen to fall?  Say, at like 2-3 weeks?  Or just leave it be for a longer time.  I expected to rack to keg around 3 weeks, given the temperature of the fermentation, but I can hold out longer, if that gives better results.  Of course, I can open it up to look at it, but it is in a bucket, so I don't want to muck around with it too much....

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 04:17:24 pm »
You were right on with that - no stall at all.  When I added the cooled sugar solution Sunday and ramped up to 80F, the yeast cake appeared to be at full krausen still and it has kept on going.  I suppose the next question is whether to drop the temp at some point to encourage the krausen to fall?  Say, at like 2-3 weeks?  Or just leave it be for a longer time.  I expected to rack to keg around 3 weeks, given the temperature of the fermentation, but I can hold out longer, if that gives better results.  Of course, I can open it up to look at it, but it is in a bucket, so I don't want to muck around with it too much....

I wouldn't lower the temp till it's done. then crash it to drop the remaining yeast/krausen and keg clear beer.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce