Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop Report  (Read 1467 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Hop Report
« on: January 16, 2014, 07:35:10 am »
A segment of a larger article on 2013 World Hop production (http://www.brewersguardian.com/index.php/features/1711.html):

"Increasing demand from the burgeoning US craft brewing movement is driving a shift in planting of hop varieties, away from higher alpha varieties in favour of aroma varieties. George reported a 50:50 split between alpha and aroma acreage, compared to a ratio of 70:30 four years ago."

So how come hop producers still put something as useless as Beta Acid content on hop packaging but not even total oils let alone a breakdown of which oils are present in what quantities.  I hope it won't take the industry long to figure out that this is a key piece of info.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Hop Report
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 07:55:33 am »
One thing to note, many of the "newer" aroma varieties are also high alpha. Simcoe, mosaic, citra, nelson sauvin, Amarillo, caliente.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 07:17:19 pm »
A segment of a larger article on 2013 World Hop production (http://www.brewersguardian.com/index.php/features/1711.html):

"Increasing demand from the burgeoning US craft brewing movement is driving a shift in planting of hop varieties, away from higher alpha varieties in favour of aroma varieties. George reported a 50:50 split between alpha and aroma acreage, compared to a ratio of 70:30 four years ago."

So how come hop producers still put something as useless as Beta Acid content on hop packaging but not even total oils let alone a breakdown of which oils are present in what quantities.  I hope it won't take the industry long to figure out that this is a key piece of info.

I believe the Beta Acid Content plays a role in the Hop Storage Index number.  Dont quote me tho
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 04:16:33 am »
If I had to guess, I'd say beta acid just wants to get along, while alpha acids tend to be thrill seekers and a bit bossy