Author Topic: Hop Report  (Read 358 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
    • View Profile
Hop Report
« on: January 16, 2014, 07:35:10 AM »
A segment of a larger article on 2013 World Hop production (http://www.brewersguardian.com/index.php/features/1711.html):

"Increasing demand from the burgeoning US craft brewing movement is driving a shift in planting of hop varieties, away from higher alpha varieties in favour of aroma varieties. George reported a 50:50 split between alpha and aroma acreage, compared to a ratio of 70:30 four years ago."

So how come hop producers still put something as useless as Beta Acid content on hop packaging but not even total oils let alone a breakdown of which oils are present in what quantities.  I hope it won't take the industry long to figure out that this is a key piece of info.
Steve
All Hands Brewing

Online Steve in TX

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
    • View Profile
Re: Hop Report
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 07:55:33 AM »
One thing to note, many of the "newer" aroma varieties are also high alpha. Simcoe, mosaic, citra, nelson sauvin, Amarillo, caliente.
Vote Jonathan Fuller for AHA Governing Committee. For every yes vote, Jonathan will send you a can of Heady Topper.

*** This message has not been approved by Jonathan Fuller. All claims of free Heady Topper are in jest and not to be taken seriously. But seriously, he is a great brewer that is 100% committed to helping the AHA and all homebrewers prosper.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 07:17:19 PM »
A segment of a larger article on 2013 World Hop production (http://www.brewersguardian.com/index.php/features/1711.html):

"Increasing demand from the burgeoning US craft brewing movement is driving a shift in planting of hop varieties, away from higher alpha varieties in favour of aroma varieties. George reported a 50:50 split between alpha and aroma acreage, compared to a ratio of 70:30 four years ago."

So how come hop producers still put something as useless as Beta Acid content on hop packaging but not even total oils let alone a breakdown of which oils are present in what quantities.  I hope it won't take the industry long to figure out that this is a key piece of info.

I believe the Beta Acid Content plays a role in the Hop Storage Index number.  Dont quote me tho
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline klickitat jim

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 04:16:33 AM »
If I had to guess, I'd say beta acid just wants to get along, while alpha acids tend to be thrill seekers and a bit bossy