Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Malts that add body to beer  (Read 10625 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Malts that add body to beer
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 10:57:33 am »
Don't want to go off topic but I have a quick question. I have seen Golden Naked Oats desribed as a "crystal" huskless oat. It it really a type of crystal malt?

Yep.  Discovered that doing research for the book.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2014, 11:30:06 am »
I use about 20% Munich malt and 10% Crystal (usually 40-45L) in my IPA's.

I like this idea Jeff...maybe I'll give it a try.

ever try an all Munich AIPA?

I've done a couple all munich brews. pretty intense bready/malty thing going on. especially in the all munich barley wine I did. That one attenuated poorly but my wife loved it. Started calling it an old ale and won a 3rd in flight with it.

There is a flavor impact of munich. but in the 20-30% range it's not overwhelming in my opinion.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 05:36:40 am »
I always use about 10% C60 for APA and AIPA.  If you want something with less impact on flavor, you could try 1/2 lb. of carapils.  Mashing at a higher temp will increase body, but also have an impact on flavor.

Yeast can also have an impact.  One of the reasons I like WY1450 so much is the silky mouthfeel it leaves in the beer.

2. Add a touch of flaked wheat or oats (3-5%). I like Golden Naked Oats (which are malted, available from NB) instead of the regular flaked stuff.

+1
I'm a big fan of using oats for body, especially on light, low ABV ales. Then again, I always add oats to my black lagers/ales. Love the stuff.

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 10:45:44 am »
I'm not denny, but what was the crystal/cara in the first run of the recipe you made, assuming there was at least some?

might actually help us if you posted all the recipe specifics, at least the grain bill, yeast and mash temp.

10% is a pretty good weight for a crystal/cara malt to get you a medium to full body, if using a moderate mash temp (150-155df).  but we'll know more once you let us in on where you're at currently.

I had no crystal or cara-anything in the original recipe.  It had a 100% base of Marris Otter (10 or 11 lbs, I think).  I used plain old WLP001 yeast and I mashed at 154F for about 60 to 75 minutes IIRC.  I also batch sparge with equal amounts of water.  I forget the exact amounts and times (recipe is in BeerSmith on my computer at home) but I used Columbus for bittering (FWH addition) and then amarillo for flavor.
+1 for just upping the mash temp. I find when batch sparging you need to go higher with the mash temp than you would think. What kind of fg are you getting?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 11:03:40 am »
+1 for just upping the mash temp. I find when batch sparging you need to go higher with the mash temp than you would think. What kind of fg are you getting?

That's a very interesting observation.  What do you attribute that to?  I certainly don't mash any higher because of batch sparging.  AAMOF, my mash temps have been trending downwards.  What is it about batch sparging that makes a higher mash temp necessary?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2014, 03:00:37 pm »

That's a very interesting observation.  What do you attribute that to?  I certainly don't mash any higher because of batch sparging.  AAMOF, my mash temps have been trending downwards.  What is it about batch sparging that makes a higher mash temp necessary?
I attribute it to temp loss in a cooler, the amount of time lautered wort stays at mash temp, the inability to do a thorough mashout. This is all compared to my rims system and beersmith (and I already know how you feel about brewing calculator estimations). But by upping about 2deg when batch sparging I hit my numbers the same both ways.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2014, 03:03:13 pm »

I attribute it to temp loss in a cooler, the amount of time lautered wort stays at mash temp, the inability to do a thorough mashout. This is all compared to my rims system and beersmith (and I already know how you feel about brewing calculator estimations). But by upping about 2deg when batch sparging I hit my numbers the same both ways.

Interesting....whatever works for ya is the right thing to do! 

www.dennybrew.com

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2014, 03:09:15 pm »
The Op's fg could shed some light on what's really going on for him.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2014, 07:02:37 am »
I'm not denny, but what was the crystal/cara in the first run of the recipe you made, assuming there was at least some?

might actually help us if you posted all the recipe specifics, at least the grain bill, yeast and mash temp.

10% is a pretty good weight for a crystal/cara malt to get you a medium to full body, if using a moderate mash temp (150-155df).  but we'll know more once you let us in on where you're at currently.

I had no crystal or cara-anything in the original recipe.  It had a 100% base of Marris Otter (10 or 11 lbs, I think).  I used plain old WLP001 yeast and I mashed at 154F for about 60 to 75 minutes IIRC.  I also batch sparge with equal amounts of water.  I forget the exact amounts and times (recipe is in BeerSmith on my computer at home) but I used Columbus for bittering (FWH addition) and then amarillo for flavor.

My FG for the last 2 brews were 1.010 and 1.012.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2014, 07:23:13 am »

pretty consistent with what i'd expect an all basemalt FG.

If you want to stick with all MO, try 158df mash temp as Kyle suggested above. I'd expect a little less attenuation.  If you are fly sparging, are you raising to mashout before sparging?  Just checking as if not, the extra 45-60min at mash temps could make your wort more fermentable.

If you want to use some crystal, which I personally would prefer for some flavor complexity, I would actually start at 7% of a medium (15-45L) crystal, and keep your mid range mash temp.  Then if its too much, rachet down to 5% next time or up to 10% if you still want more.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2014, 07:34:25 am »

pretty consistent with what i'd expect an all basemalt FG.

If you want to stick with all MO, try 158df mash temp as Kyle suggested above. I'd expect a little less attenuation.  If you are fly sparging, are you raising to mashout before sparging?  Just checking as if not, the extra 45-60min at mash temps could make your wort more fermentable.

If you want to use some crystal, which I personally would prefer for some flavor complexity, I would actually start at 7% of a medium (15-45L) crystal, and keep your mid range mash temp.  Then if its too much, rachet down to 5% next time or up to 10% if you still want more.

I batch sparge, so I don't raise up to mash-out temps.  I'm going to try the middle of the road approach with the Crystal and then go from there.  Of course, now that will be later this summer before I get an opportunity to brew again.  I'm in the Navy and I'll be going away for a bit and visiting a hotter climate.  Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2014, 07:39:24 am »
Be safe. Thanks for your service

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2014, 07:40:07 am »
Be safe. Thanks for your service

+1 to that.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2014, 08:31:18 am »

From what you're saying, you'd need to raise mash temp a little when fly sparging with a cooler. What you're saying makes sense, but it's not batch vs fly sparging. You're really comparing RIMS vs infusion mash. Right?
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2014, 09:13:10 am »

From what you're saying, you'd need to raise mash temp a little when fly sparging with a cooler. What you're saying makes sense, but it's not batch vs fly sparging. You're really comparing RIMS vs infusion mash. Right?
I suppose so.  I haven't fly sparged with the cooler in years. So for an infusion mash with out the ability to heat as the runnings go in the boil kettle I would up 2 degrees to start with, to match software estimations and my rims setup.