Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kettle and electric brewing  (Read 2159 times)

Offline turkeygecko

• 1st Kit
Kettle and electric brewing
« on: January 09, 2014, 10:02:53 am »
Hey all looking for some perspective on boil kettles.

I'm in the process of stepping up to electric HERMS. Using keggles I already owned for HLT and MLT. I am going to buy a 20 gallon pot for the boil kettle.

So... I really can't justify spending a lot of money on the new kettle. I understand a thicker kettle will retain heat better and a thicker bottom will distribute heat better if your heat source is a burner underneath. But since I am going electric, the element will be submerged inside the kettle... so I don't care about heat distribution.

Can anyone make a case for investing serious $ into a nice kettle for electric brewers? Aesthetics do not concern me.

If not, I'm pulling the trigger on this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-80-QT-Quart-Polished-Stainless-Steel-Stock-Pot-Brewing-Kettle-Large-w-Lid-/190828810544?pt=Cookware&hash=item2c6e489130

20 gallons, stainless, and it's actually thicker than some kettles that are double the price (Bayou Classic, for example).

Cheers,
Drew

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
Re: Kettle and electric brewing
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 10:20:44 am »
Is the diameter wide enough to fit the element in?  If so, everything else looks good 1.mm is 20 gauge which is plenty thick enough for a boil kettle.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline turkeygecko

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 10:31:50 am »
Is the diameter wide enough to fit the element in?

18 inch wide pot, 14.6 inch element...  :D

Thanks for the reply!

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 10:53:27 am »
While it may not have the bells and whistles some brewers enjoy, this pot will work perfectly.  If it doesnt have a spigot attached they are easy enough to install with 20$ worth of SS fittings and a few orings.

TLDR Your brewery, your rules:)
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline turkeygecko

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 11:11:54 am »
While it may not have the bells and whistles some brewers enjoy, this pot will work perfectly.  If it doesnt have a spigot attached they are easy enough to install with 20$ worth of SS fittings and a few orings.

TLDR Your brewery, your rules:)

Yes sir... will bust out the step bit and fittings to make it suitable. Thanks for your reply!

Offline turkeygecko

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 01:22:35 pm »
Jeff - I noticed in your signature line that you're building (or maybe you've finished building) a clone of The Electric Brewery as a pilot system. Just curious how much volume your system will handle. How big of batches are you/will you be brewing on the pilot system?

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 01:41:41 pm »
Im building a 55/30/30 setup that will put a barrel into a fermentor.  i will probably end up with 2.5bbl fermenters that will accommodate multiple brews.  I have all the equipment purchased, just need to finish my space and building my CP:)
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 01:54:05 pm »
Im building a 55/30/30 setup that will put a barrel into a fermentor.  i will probably end up with 2.5bbl fermenters that will accommodate multiple brews.  I have all the equipment purchased, just need to finish my space and building my CP:)

how do you get a barrel from a 30 gallon boil kettle? or is the 55 the boil kettle?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 03:36:45 pm »
BK/MLT/HLT  Sorry, should of specified instead of assumed:)

For big grain bills i will mash twice into the BK:)