Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How do YOU spitball new recipes? Name your process  (Read 5880 times)

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
How do YOU spitball new recipes? Name your process
« on: January 09, 2014, 03:14:15 pm »
Howdy Folks,

One thing i havent gotten much into as of yet is creating and testing new beer recipes. Personally I view this as the art side of Beer, The taking of ingredients and melding them into a wonderful melange of personal preference and experience.  When people drink the beer you have created you are taking them on a journey as it where.

Anyway - Can you guys give an explanation of how you create recipes and the steps you go threw in reviewing and tweeking?

Here has been my process thus far.  I took a brief look at the BJCP Guidelines and created 10 recipes profiles in beersmith that are Named per the style.  I am now going through and creating Grain and Hop bills according to the descriptions used in the stylebook and staying close to the OG/FG/ABV/SRM/IBU range at the same time.  My plan is to then brew a 5g batch of the .1 version and see if i can identify what i like and dont like about.
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: How do YOU spitball new recipes? Name your process
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 03:21:07 pm »
This describes the thought process I went through when I created my BVIP recipe.

http://digital.ipcprintservices.com/publication/?i=107084
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 03:23:51 pm »
This describes the thought process I went through when I created my BVIP recipe.

http://digital.ipcprintservices.com/publication/?i=107084

Seems to be a dead link, doy ou have an issue number? ill go look it up and read it:)
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 03:24:42 pm »
want to say it was the May/Jun issue last year. But it is on the cover, so you can look at that.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 03:32:26 pm »
I start similarly to what you have described. I then read lot's of other recipes and try to get a grasp on the commonalities.

The recipe wiki here on AHA is a good resource for that.

then I apply my own preferences; I tend to reduce bittering charges and crystal malts and tweak for ingredients I can get organically. Often I'll add a little munich.

then experiment.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 03:34:25 pm »
Designing Great beers by Ray Daniels is a really good resource when you are trying to do a new style. It has some great charts on which malts are used at what rate by how many people. I refer to it a lot when I am attempting a new style.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 03:40:36 pm »
I am indeed looking at the recipe wiki here, it was just hard to find since the AHA website has changed over.  I am also trying to source all local ingredients when possible as a good hook for my beers.  i have about 8lbs of local whole leaf hops grown about an hour from here.  there is also a maltster near the hop farm that i need to order some grain from and roadtrip out to pick up:)

I also have the Ray Daniels book next to me, ill refer to it after i have my initial notes from the BJCP style guideline to correct mistakes and hopefully refine as version .2 before brewing.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 03:47:44 pm »
want to say it was the May/Jun issue last year. But it is on the cover, so you can look at that.

May/June 2012
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 03:49:11 pm »

May/June 2012

Ive got it, thanks denny:) reading it now!

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 03:49:16 pm »

May/June 2012

Yeah... Forgot it was 2014 already...

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 03:50:33 pm »

May/June 2012

Yeah... Forgot it was 2014 already...

Me too, where were on the same page!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 03:54:13 pm »
DGB and BJCP. And I almost always follow the same hop schedule regardless of style unless it requires no aroma. What helps is having an example. Preferably more than one. So drink up people.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 03:54:52 pm »
I may not be the best brewer because I tend to brew what I think I will like instead of what are solid, proven styles.

I start by thinking about the finished product and going backward from there. A lot of my beers don't necessarily fit into categories so I don't worry about guidelines much. For example, I might want to brew a Kolsch but hop it up a bit with American style hops as late kettle and dry hop additions...

I am still learning on how to develop recipes over time and that is currently my personal emphasis. I think is about getting as close as you can with the first attempt and changing one thing at a time (if possible) so you can tell if that made the final product better or worse.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 04:01:49 pm »
I may not be the best brewer because I tend to brew what I think I will like instead of what are solid, proven styles.

I start by thinking about the finished product and going backward from there. A lot of my beers don't necessarily fit into categories so I don't worry about guidelines much. For example, I might want to brew a Kolsch but hop it up a bit with American style hops as late kettle and dry hop additions...

I do agree with this.  If an alteration takes it outside of a Style Guideline i wont mind.  But i am attempting to design beers to eventually sell.  Needless to say people will buy unusual beers as long as they taste great, i just plan to start with usual and expand my portfolio from there:)  it is after all about "knowing your flavor components", right denny?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 04:52:59 pm »
DGB and BJCP. And I almost always follow the same hop schedule regardless of style unless it requires no aroma. What helps is having an example. Preferably more than one. So drink up people.

+1 to DGB and BJCP Style Guidelines.  Designing Great Beers is a GREAT book with a great approach. You can create a recipe for a style and be able to see what ingredients (and % of each ingredient)  are common in that style. It really helped me get a handle on things across a big range of styles. Learning the attributes of each malt, hop, and yeast will help dial in a recipe, and I learned by changing only one ingredient or variable at a time. Take really clear,thorough, legible notes (including water chemistry)that you can reference. Be sure to add detailed tasting notes - I might not make a style that I brewed last year for another year or two, depending on the style. What was great, good, mediocre, or sh#$$y about it, and what would I change next time? Easiest to assess while you're drinking it than having to try to remember. Good luck.
Jon H.