Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Recipe: Chocolate Cherry Cream Stout  (Read 5566 times)

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
Recipe: Chocolate Cherry Cream Stout
« on: January 12, 2014, 01:32:58 pm »
Hey Guys,

So ive been messing around with recipe creation lately and one of the concepts i wanted to try was a Chocolate Cherry Cream Stout.  I envision the taste to be much like a Cherry Cordial such as http://www.amazon.com/Queen-Anne-Chocolate-Cherry-Cordials/dp/B006JVU1X0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1389558564&sr=8-2&keywords=cherry+cordial  I havent made plans to brew this yet but any sort of opinions would be welcome:)

Chocolate Cherry Cream Stout

Sweet Stout (13 B)

5 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 41.5 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.3 %
1 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.3 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4 6.2 %
8.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.1 %
4.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 6 2.1 %
8.0 oz Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 7 4.1 %
0.50 oz Magnum [14.50 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 8 20.3 IBUs
1.20 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 9 -
0.50 oz Cascade [8.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 10 6.7 IBUs
1.00 Items Cocao Nibs (Boil 15.0 mins) Spice 11 -
1.0 pkg Burton Ale (White Labs #WLP023) [35.49 ml] Yeast 12 -
3 lbs 0.8 oz Cherry Puree(Secondary) (6.0 SRM) Adjunct 13 25.3 %
2.00 Items Vanilla(Bean) (Secondary 7.0 days) Spice 14 -

Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color

Est Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.2 %
Bitterness: 27.0 IBUs
Est Color: 36.6 SRM

Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Recipe: Chocolate Cherry Cream Stout
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 01:49:15 pm »
Little heavy handed on the roast malt in my opinion. Maybe nix the roasted barley since you already have a good amount of patent malt. You could also increase the base malt to balance the roast, but then you'd have more alcohol.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 02:01:40 pm »
I definitely dont want to add alcohol to the beer currently.  Im not 100% sure what the cherries will do int he first place so the Estimated ABV could be off by up to 1% abv as is.  Im currently looking for a good "malts and the character they impart" type sheet. Dropping the Roast Barley is definitely possible.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 02:23:36 pm »
From my experiences with fruit in the secondary does not really affect you gravity/ABV. The amount of water content in the fruit offsets the amount of sugars present. 3.5 lbs of cherry purée isn't a whole lot of cherries for a stout either in my opinion. I used 7.5 lbs if tart cherries in my cherry stout this year... I did cut it down from 10 lbs that I used last year. The cherry is certainly present at this level. I wouldn't say go this high, but I might consider upping it to at least 5 lb so that you are certain that the cherry flavor will be present.
Frank

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 02:30:31 pm »
From my experiences with fruit in the secondary does not really affect you gravity/ABV. The amount of water content in the fruit offsets the amount of sugars present. 3.5 lbs of cherry purée isn't a whole lot of cherries for a stout either in my opinion. I used 7.5 lbs if tart cherries in my cherry stout this year... I did cut it down from 10 lbs that I used last year. The cherry is certainly present at this level. I wouldn't say go this high, but I might consider upping it to at least 5 lb so that you are certain that the cherry flavor will be present.

I agree that its not a lot, but ive read thats 3.5lbs of puree should be the equivilent of about 5lbs of fresh fruit.  there is no pits etc.  It did occur to me to put in 2 cans but id figured id start with one.  my thought is if i dont like the cherryness after secondary i can put another can ina nd let it sit another week, no?

Cheers,
Jeff

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 02:42:16 pm »

I agree that its not a lot, but ive read thats 3.5lbs of puree should be the equivilent of about 5lbs of fresh fruit.  there is no pits etc.  It did occur to me to put in 2 cans but id figured id start with one.  my thought is if i dont like the cherryness after secondary i can put another can ina nd let it sit another week, no?

Cheers,
Jeff

Sounds like as good a plan as any. Remember if you do that, give it a few days to ferment out. Another thing to consider is if you plan on aging this beer at all, the cherry flavor will begin to diminish. That is one reason why I chose to lesson my cherry amount this year. Last years batch was perfect after about 10 months. The problem was, it was gone by then lol. So this year I used less to try and hit that prime flavor zone earlier. It worked well. These were pitted tart cherries frozen from Michigan.

But I think it's a good idea for you to taste at secondary and go from there. Looks good. Good job!
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 05:26:24 pm »
From my experiences with fruit in the secondary does not really affect you gravity/ABV.

+1.  It's weird to get a secondary fermentation but not get much bump in abv, but the water in the fruit does kind of offset the fermentation from the fruit.
Jon H.