Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Vintners Harvest Purees  (Read 3025 times)

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
Vintners Harvest Purees
« on: January 09, 2014, 06:36:52 pm »
So id I am working on a Chocolate Cherry Cream Stout.  FOr some reason i got the thought of making a beer that tastes like those Cherry Cordial Candies that people eat during the holidays.  Dont ask me why, i just started thinking about it and said screw it, ill give it a go.  Ive got a basic grain bill setup in Beersmith2 but im trying to work out about how much sugar a can of puree is going to add.  My thought is to add it to primary right when i drop the yeast.  One of the national homebrew chains had the brix being between 20-26.  Do you think this is per can or per lb?

If its per LB thats about 26 Gravity points per lb, which seems more realistic to me then 96 points per lb.

Thoughts or personal experiences?
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Vintners Harvest Purees
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 06:48:59 pm »
So id I am working on a Chocolate Cherry Cream Stout.  FOr some reason i got the thought of making a beer that tastes like those Cherry Cordial Candies that people eat during the holidays.  Dont ask me why, i just started thinking about it and said screw it, ill give it a go.  Ive got a basic grain bill setup in Beersmith2 but im trying to work out about how much sugar a can of puree is going to add.  My thought is to add it to primary right when i drop the yeast.  One of the national homebrew chains had the brix being between 20-26.  Do you think this is per can or per lb?

If its per LB thats about 26 Gravity points per lb, which seems more realistic to me then 96 points per lb.

I've used it and I believe it's per lb., which makes more sense.  I add to secondary though - even though there is a secondary fermentation from the fruit, much less of the fruit character is driven off as compared to the turbulence of primary fermentation.
Jon H.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 09:21:10 am »

brix is a measure of the percentage of sugar not the total amount.

a can should have the grams of sugar right on the label nutritional information though.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 10:12:36 am »

brix is a measure of the percentage of sugar not the total amount.

a can should have the grams of sugar right on the label nutritional information though.

the cans don't have what you need though.  when they do tell you anything it is generally a brix range, which will be for the can. 

OP, is this a 49-oz can of Vintner's Harvest/Oregon fruit puree or something else?  Sweet cherry, not tart?
if so, I think the 20 is pretty close.  I've seen it listed as 18 elsewhere, as well as 10-13, 20-26, 22-27.  Very aggravating.  Further annoyance from the 49-oz puree seeming to be by weight, but the "fruit wine base" 96 oz cans seem to be by volume.
So I use 20 brix (most of the other fruits are lower) as an estimate and figure it could be slightly higher or lower.

so I'd assume you've got 1-2 quarts of 1.085~ish puree.  I don't think that's actually right once all the solid stuff is considered, but I've been happy with the results of assuming there's this much sugar.  measure actual volume of the can after you pour it in and you can go from there.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 10:14:43 am by udubdawg »

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 10:27:09 am »
Do the cans have Nutritional Facts? If so, you could figure out the amount of sugar in an entire can and add to BeerSmith as corn sugar or table sugar. I'm guessing most of the sugar will be very fermentable.

I've done this when adding Marionberry jam to a wit. It came out to 5 ounces.