Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry hopping temperature  (Read 9236 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Dry hopping temperature
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2014, 08:07:18 am »

You should know by now that I really don't care what the "heavy hitters" say.  I trust my own experience, as everyone should.

I'm the same way except when my experience matches up with theirs. I actually have a beer I brew that is meant to pair with a cigar and I dry hop it cold because I get moro herbal character. To be, the flavor is so much cleaner when dry hopped at 60-70.
I can't imagine being able to taste any beer while smoking a cigar.

Well, that's kind of the point. Cigars kill the flavor of a beer. The key was to brew a beer that the flavor of the cigar melded and changed the flavor of the beer to an interesting flavor. The beer is pretty good by itself, but it is extremely parable with a cigar.

The cold hop extraction gives the beer a more "herbal-like" (to my tastes) character. The first time I brewed it I used whole Amarillo, Columbus and Willamette hops (and a few other hops blended in as well). I found the whole hops to be more herbal and veg like and actually prefer them with the beer but whole hops are more of a challenge for me to work with right now so all pellets now.

The beer is called "Tobacco Road" (the brewery Yellowhammer Brewing) if you are interested in searching.

Not to derail the thread too much, but FYI - I don't know if you've ever tried Summer hops, but I'd imagine that they'd be excellent in a beer meant to be paired with a cigar. I get a lot of cedar, leather, tobacco, etc. from it.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2014, 09:13:04 am »
So you're not a "heavy hitter", Denny? You're, like, the patron saint of homebrew!  :D

The only sense in which I'm a "heavy hitter" is my weight and I hope to change that!  :)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2014, 10:08:18 am »

You should know by now that I really don't care what the "heavy hitters" say.  I trust my own experience, as everyone should.

I'm the same way except when my experience matches up with theirs. I actually have a beer I brew that is meant to pair with a cigar and I dry hop it cold because I get moro herbal character. To be, the flavor is so much cleaner when dry hopped at 60-70.
I can't imagine being able to taste any beer while smoking a cigar.

Well, that's kind of the point. Cigars kill the flavor of a beer. The key was to brew a beer that the flavor of the cigar melded and changed the flavor of the beer to an interesting flavor. The beer is pretty good by itself, but it is extremely parable with a cigar.

The cold hop extraction gives the beer a more "herbal-like" (to my tastes) character. The first time I brewed it I used whole Amarillo, Columbus and Willamette hops (and a few other hops blended in as well). I found the whole hops to be more herbal and veg like and actually prefer them with the beer but whole hops are more of a challenge for me to work with right now so all pellets now.

The beer is called "Tobacco Road" (the brewery Yellowhammer Brewing) if you are interested in searching.

Not to derail the thread too much, but FYI - I don't know if you've ever tried Summer hops, but I'd imagine that they'd be excellent in a beer meant to be paired with a cigar. I get a lot of cedar, leather, tobacco, etc. from it.

Thanks! Never heard if it. Will definitely look into that!