Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hydroflask Growler Filler  (Read 5449 times)

Offline evandy

• Cellarman
Hydroflask Growler Filler
« on: January 28, 2014, 08:10:12 pm »
For any other hydro-flask growler owners out there...  an extra cap is just $5 from Amazon.  That plus some extra racking cane I had handy makes a perfect filler.  Just jam a cobra-tap on the top ghetto-filler style.  I used to use a large rubber stopper, but with the large area it was hard to keep in place.  Now I have mechanical advantage!  I may drill it for a schraeder valve down the road, which would mean I can fill with CO2 first and counter-pressure fill.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Hydroflask Growler Filler
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 12:52:54 pm »
Nice. I have one of those I use for beer. But I didn't clean it once right away after using and now it smells like vinegar. I think it's the silicone o-ring on the cap. I can clean it all I want, the smell returns. So now I'm not as excited to use it as I was when I first got it.
Jesse

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 01:08:31 pm »
not sure I get it.

So you put a bottle inside the flask? with the other end of the exposed tubing in the bottle?

If I'm understanding you would get some pressure anyway but how to get the bottle, once full, out without releasing all that pressure and dealing with the results?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 01:30:54 pm »
I think it is the hydroflask that's being filled with beer.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 01:32:20 pm »
Nice. I have one of those I use for beer. But I didn't clean it once right away after using and now it smells like vinegar. I think it's the silicone o-ring on the cap. I can clean it all I want, the smell returns. So now I'm not as excited to use it as I was when I first got it.
Try taking it apart and leaving the lid and gasket out in the sun (works better in summer) the UV light from the sun does a surprising job of removing alot of odors I've found.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 01:33:03 pm »
not sure I get it.

So you put a bottle inside the flask? with the other end of the exposed tubing in the bottle?

If I'm understanding you would get some pressure anyway but how to get the bottle, once full, out without releasing all that pressure and dealing with the results?
I think it's just a 'growler filler' I don't think there are any bottles involved.  I'm not sure why a standard growler filler wouldn't accomplish the same thing though.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 01:55:31 pm »
not sure I get it.

I think it's just a 'growler filler' I don't think there are any bottles involved.  I'm not sure why a standard growler filler wouldn't accomplish the same thing though.

by standard growler filler do you mean a length of tubing on the end of a tap?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 02:32:43 pm »
not sure I get it.

by standard growler filler do you mean a length of tubing on the end of a tap?
No, the OP mentions that he used to use a larger stopper to fill the hydroflask with some backpressure.  The mouth on those is close to 2"  compared to a regular glass growler, and retrofitting an extra lid makes it easier for him to get it full without so much foam loss. Least that's what I'm pickin' up.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline jskiles

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 08:30:50 am »
A very cold growler filled with low serving pressure hardly produces any foam for me.  Foaming issues on growler fills come from either cold beer into warm growler or too high serving pressure or some combination of the two.