General Category > Ingredients

Planting hop rhizomes

(1/7) > >>

capozzoli:
Got some hop rhizomes from wzl46 today. Dude has been hookin me up!!

With great anticipation I plan on planting them.

Should I just till some soil and add some fertilizer?

Any other green thumb tricks I should know about.

Not much of a green thumb myself, grew some plants closely related to hops years ago but not sure that it is the same.

MrNate:
I don't know if it's the right way, but I dug a hole in our lovely clay about the size of a 5 gallon bucket, filled it in most of the way with soil and composted manure (50/50), planted the rhizome, then piled a good mound of 50/50 on top of it. Once they poked up I mulched.

bluesman:
I would start them out in a small pot (1 gallon) with some decent potting soil to get them somewhat rooted and then transfer them in May to their permanant home in the ground. Pick a location that gets a good amount of sun in your house for now like a window sill.  You will need to fertilize them at some frequency after they have established. Read this article and go from there.

http://www.brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue2.3/montell.html

denny:
I dig a hole (not as big as a 5 gal. bucket, though!), add compost, and stick 'em in the ground.

bluesman:

--- Quote from: denny on March 27, 2010, 08:42:02 AM ---I dig a hole (not as big as a 5 gal. bucket, though!), add compost, and stick 'em in the ground.

--- End quote ---

+1

Organic compost is the best for hops.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version