General Category > Ingredients

Planting hop rhizomes

<< < (2/7) > >>

diybrewing:
For planting rhizomes the best way to do it is a dig a hole about 1 foot deep. Fill with a 50/50 blend of compost and dirt. Plant the rhizomes so that they have the white vine looking parts about 1 inch under the ground and they should be pointed up. Then top with a layer of compost. Water until saturated once a week and then let dry.over the week. Do this for the first two months then start watering every other week. After about a month or when your vines are about 1 foot start training them.

You should start them in a pot if your outside temperature is still going below freezing every night. But if you are in a warmer climate then you can just start them outside.
If you want to download our growing guide just click http://www.diybrewing.com/recipes/hop pamphlet.doc

babalu87:

--- Quote from: denny on March 27, 2010, 03:42:02 PM ---I dig a hole (not as big as a 5 gal. bucket, though!), add compost, and stick 'em in the ground.

--- End quote ---

Compost FTW

Also, put them on a little bit of a hill and create something of a moat in the middle.
One: To keep the nasty beasts away  :P
Seriously, the hill will prevent them from rotting early in their life and the moat will provide even moisture to said hill.

Good luck, hop growing is very rewarding  8)

capozzoli:
Thanks guys, this really helps. I planned on doing it today but ran out of time.

Im gonna ddo it tomorrow

Its been pretty warm around here.

I have a bunch of ground hogs, skunks and rabbits out there. Wondering now what I can do to keep them away?

MrNate:

--- Quote from: denny on March 27, 2010, 03:42:02 PM ---I dig a hole (not as big as a 5 gal. bucket, though!), add compost, and stick 'em in the ground.

--- End quote ---

I'm guessing your soil isn't 4 solid feet of red clay and shale.

bluesman:

--- Quote from: MrNate on March 29, 2010, 12:40:21 AM ---

--- End quote ---

I'm guessing your soil isn't 4 solid feet of red clay and shale.

--- End quote ---

Gotta love our soil in these parts.  ::)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version