Author Topic: Adding java to a stout  (Read 927 times)

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
Adding java to a stout
« on: January 10, 2014, 10:44:14 AM »
I just brewed an Oatmeal stout and plan to add some fresh Kona coffee to the beer. This comes up from time to time, but I thought it would fun to discuss specific tips, techniques or secrets for adding coffee to beer.

What's your method of adding coffee to get the best Java stout?

Cold steep
fresh brewed
expresso
???
Ron Price

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
    • View Profile
Re: Adding java to a stout
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 10:52:55 AM »
Cold steep. My little brother is as much a coffee dork as I am a beer dork and he insisted that cold steeping makes the smoothest joe with best extraction.  I'm very pleased with the result.
Thank you BEER!

Offline HoosierBrew

• Brewmaster General
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 10:54:53 AM »
I add cracked coffee beans to a nylon bag and add them to secondary, until the coffee flavor is where I want and then pull it.  I've done the same thing @ kegging and liked the results too - it's a cold steep , except in beer.
Jon H.

Offline goschman

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 10:56:40 AM »
How much coffee for a 5 gallon batch?

Offline HoosierBrew

• Brewmaster General
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 11:01:07 AM »
I use a pound, pulling it when it steeps out the right amount of flavor.
Jon H.

Offline beersk

• Senior Brewmaster
  • In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 12:09:02 PM »
I cold brew mine in a 16oz French press for 24 hours then add it to the keg before racking the beer in. I like the results.
Watch out for those Cross Dressing Amateurs!

Offline tlunneberg

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 12:43:07 PM »
I recently did a coffee stout and put 4oz. of coarse ground dark roast in at flameout until transfer. I think I would go with 3 oz. next time as the coffee flavor is still overpowering at 2 months aged. One thing I like with this method as opposed to cold steeping is you get some of the bite of the coffee, almost a spiciness. I'm sure both methods can work well.

Online Steve in TX

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 12:53:43 PM »
I cold brew a half pound of coffee in a big French press then pour through a pour over filter to get all the bits. I posted the whole process not long ago. Can't remember the thread.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 01:15:45 PM »
Cold steep overnight with bottled spring water.

I use a blend of beans from the local coffee shop or high-end market.

I don't remember the weight / volume I used last time, but it was much stronger than your average cold-steeped coffee recipe.

@southhousebrew

Indianapolis, IN

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments:
http://southhousepilotbrewery.blogspot.com/

Offline dls5492

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 01:27:35 PM »
I add coffee to the secondary. Usually I put one oz. of beer in a glass and add 1/16 oz of coffee. From there, I experiment with different amounts of coffee until I get the taste I like. If it is a 5 gallon batch of beer, then 5 gal = 640 oz. If 1/16 oz coffee in 1 oz of beer works. Then you would add 640/16=40 oz of coffee or 0.3 gallons.  (1 gallon = 128 oz.) I hope the math isn't confusing.
And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17
CRAZE

Offline Joe Sr.

• Brewmaster General
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 02:03:01 PM »
I add cracked coffee beans to a nylon bag and add them to secondary, until the coffee flavor is where I want and then pull it.  I've done the same thing @ kegging and liked the results too - it's a cold steep , except in beer.

I've gotten the best coffee flavor this way.  I think I used about 3 oz. for 2.5 gallons.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline beersk

• Senior Brewmaster
  • In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 02:50:18 PM »
I wonder if that'd be the best way to do it, like dry hopping in the keg. Instead dry coffee bean in the keg.
Watch out for those Cross Dressing Amateurs!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Brewmaster General
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 03:01:53 PM »
Apparently, my reading comprehension is poor today.

I've done it "dry-beaned" in the keg.  Not in the secondary.

I hang the bag of coarse cracked beans from a length of floss and close the lid with the floss sticking out.

I take a sample every so often and pull the beans when I like the flavor.  I've also done it with espresso into the keg, but the coarse cracked beans gave a smoooother flavor.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline HoosierBrew

• Brewmaster General
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 04:00:47 PM »
I wonder
I wonder if that'd be the best way to do it, like dry hopping in the keg. Instead dry coffee bean in the keg.

if that'd be the best way to do it, like dry hopping in the keg. Instead dry coffee bean in the keg.

+1 to "dry beaning" .   Everybody that swears by cold steeping - I've done it and liked it. Just try cold steeping in YOUR BEER in the kegerator. There's a reason vanilla beans are often soaked in alcohol. I feel the alcohol similarly extracts aromas and flavors that don't get extracted by regular cold steeping. Aside from that, all the flavor and aroma from the beans is trapped in your beer.  +1 Joe Sr   ;)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 04:20:01 PM by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline ultravista

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 07:38:42 AM »
I recently brewed an imperial porter, adding about 8.5 ounces of course ground coffee in the keg post fermentation, it sat refrigerated for about 7 days. To my taste, the coffee is over powering. Perhaps it will mellow over time but that may be wishful thinking.

I'm not sure if it was too much coffee or if it was steeped too long.