Author Topic: Adding java to a stout  (Read 2164 times)

Online Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
Re: Adding java to a stout
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2014, 07:49:00 AM »
I am going to try whole beans in the ferment after fermentation. MadFermentationist said it gave him the most persistent flavor. Interesting fact, you get no color from the beans if they are whole.

- Sent by my R2 unit

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline HoosierBrew

• Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2014, 08:01:38 AM »
Interesting fact, you get no color from the beans if they are whole.

- Sent by my R2 unit

Never knew that. Pretty cool.
Jon H.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Da mihi sis cerevisiam.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2014, 01:00:36 PM »
Cold steep, usually, but occasionally at the end of the mash.  Just like darkest grains - when I remember to do it the day before I cold steep.  When I get busy, then it's a late mash add.  I like the idea of trying whole beans in the secondary - I will have to try that one!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline HoosierBrew

• Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2014, 02:32:54 PM »
  I like the idea of trying whole beans in the secondary - I will have to try that one!

Actually, I crack the beans up pretty good - sort of the consistency right in between whole beans and coarse ground coffee. Works great !
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 03:09:36 PM by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Online Jimmy K

• Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2014, 05:35:06 PM »
Maybe I'm overly concerned, but cold-steeped coffee seems like a great source of oxidation.
I had a coffee mead at NHC last year which had great coffee flavor and was clear, pale gold like normal mead. It was aged on whole coffee beans.
I was also thwarted once making a Kaluah clone by soaking whole beans in liquor. It stayed clear which wasn't what I wanted.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Steve in TX

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2014, 09:49:20 AM »

Maybe I'm overly concerned, but cold-steeped coffee seems like a great source of oxidation.

I've never had a problem with oxidation. Maybe it has something to do with the antioxidants found in coffee.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2014, 10:02:01 AM »
Another vote for whole beans in the secondary. I haven't tried other methods as I've really liked how my beers have come out using this one.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2014, 08:56:27 AM »
I cold steep in a big mason jar. Two hopsacks, water to cover for 24 hours. 3 oz for noticable flavor, 4 if I want the beer to be "coffee forward". Kona is a great coffee for this method.
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline Steve in TX

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2014, 09:00:52 AM »

I cold steep in a big mason jar. Two hopsacks, water to cover for 24 hours. 3 oz for noticable flavor, 4 if I want the beer to be "coffee forward". Kona is a great coffee for this method.

I might need to try hop sacks next times. Thanks for the idea.

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2014, 10:52:04 AM »
I just bought some Kona medium roast. I plan to add  4oz fresh ground to the keg prior to kegging and let it steep at cellar temp for 7 days. I like the whole bean idea too.

Thanks for all of the ideas and suggestions. Keep the suggestions/discussion coming! :)
Ron Price

Offline brick pig

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
    • Brick Pig
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2014, 11:57:13 AM »
For a 5-gallon batch of my coffee stout, I brew 5 cups of coffee just like I brew every morning (which is pretty strong by most peoples' standards) and let it cool to room temp. Then pour it into the secondary and rack the stout into it. I easily brew this recipe more often than any other recipe in my aresnal, and it has been perfect every time.

Offline phytenphyre

• 1st Kit
  • Noblesville, IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2014, 08:06:02 AM »
I am making a Breakfast Stout clone from Founders and it calls for coffee in the boil and at bottling.  I cold steeped about 4 oz's for 3 days.  I didn't think about tasting it before dropping it into my boil, maybe next time.  I also have to add more coffee when I bottle.  I will also be cold steeping these.  Any thoughts on possible infection or is there enough alcohol to thwart that potential problem?  Any success or failures you have encountered?

Thanks,
Kyle
"Have no fear, it's just beer."
Chitty Black IPA
Oh My IPA
Handle Bar Mustache Stout
Founders Breakfast Stout clone
Next up: Rye IPA
Re-do: a ruined Zombie Dust clone

Offline Steve in TX

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2014, 08:33:16 AM »
I have never experienced an infection from post fermentation coffee additions. I sanitize all the equipment I can and add it right in.

Offline HoosierBrew

• Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2014, 08:40:14 AM »
+1.  Same here.  I add crushed beans to secondary (or keg) in a nylon bag and pull them when the flavor is where I want. Never had an infection.
Jon H.

Offline krebsy

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2014, 07:28:40 AM »
I am making a Breakfast Stout clone from Founders and it calls for coffee in the boil and at bottling.  I cold steeped about 4 oz's for 3 days.  I didn't think about tasting it before dropping it into my boil, maybe next time.  I also have to add more coffee when I bottle.  I will also be cold steeping these.  Any thoughts on possible infection or is there enough alcohol to thwart that potential problem?  Any success or failures you have encountered?

Thanks,
Kyle

I brewed the Breakfast Stout recipe from BYO awhile back and I steeped the prescribed amount of coffee (2oz?) in a hop bag in the kettle after flame out for about 4 minutes, just like I would if making coffee in a coffee press.  There is additional coffee called for to be steeped post fermentation.  I did this as well, and the overall coffee character was prominent, but pleasant.  I did not have infection issues.  This is also the reason I encourage people to not be afraid of steeping a portion of the coffee in the hot wort post boil.  Done right, it won't be a harsh, acidic mess.

As an aside, does anyone else think coffee beers sometimes taste more like green bell peppers than coffee?