Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Trappist Brewery in the U.S.A.  (Read 6778 times)

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
Re: First Trappist Brewery in the U.S.A.
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2014, 11:46:07 am »
It is very well done. I think they did a great job of sticking to the Trappist tradition but making it their own. It 6.6% abv. Some Trappist ales are in the double digits with abv.
Another very cool thing is the monks are growing experimental barley fields and sharing what they learn with local farmers so we will hopefully have a good supply of local grains. We already have a small local malter and some varieties of hops do well around here so hopefully this will eventually be an all local ingredient beer. I hope that trickles down to us homebrewers.

It already has:)  I used local hops in my last brew and as soon as i can get to Valley that next brew will be ALL local:D
Cant wait
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 01:52:27 pm »
That's true but I thought that Valley Malt didn't use much grains grown in MA because the supply wasn't big enough.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 02:01:22 pm »
IS a state border of consequence?  I thought it was just all about knowing where you get your ingrediants from and supporting local farmers;)
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2014, 07:07:11 pm »
No, Jeff your right, its not about state borders, it is about knowing your ingredients and being sustainable. At the same time i'm ecstatic that there are people like the brothers at St joseph's Abby and Valley Malt etc. that are doing what they are doing, making it more and more local.

Btw I'm sure you noticed I'm a new AHA member. Nice to meet you! I have a wonderful partner who got me the membership for my birthday this past week. She has been making mead  for twenty years and inspired my homebrewing.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2014, 07:14:31 pm »
No, Jeff your right, its not about state borders, it is about knowing your ingredients and being sustainable. At the same time i'm ecstatic that there are people like the brothers at St joseph's Abby and Valley Malt etc. that are doing what they are doing, making it more and more local.

Btw I'm sure you noticed I'm a new AHA member. Nice to meet you! I have a wonderful partner who got me the membership for my birthday this past week. She has been making mead  for twenty years and inspired my homebrewing.

Nice to meet a fellow Masshole!!!(I kid of course) Where abouts are ya?  Im about 20 minutes N of Boston.  I really need to take a ride out to Valley.  I plan on making their malts the center of my beer line when production starts when possible.  Grown Local is a great hook if you can swing it.  Check out the hop folks over at Four Star.  Their Product smells great and they are ever so helpful, cant wait to see what they have on offering after next gorw season.  They have had a few varietal issues but have a few others int he works!

Cheers,
Jeff

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2014, 07:51:46 pm »
Hi Jeff. I live in Barre, relatively close to the Valley. Less than an hour from valley malt, probably 1 1/2 or 2 hours from marblehead. I've met the hops folks at 4 star at the garlic festival in orange ( highly recommended). I use their flours a lot. I actually grow some of my own hops, so far most successful with cascade and galena. I intend to grow my own barley and wheat and malt myself too just because I love that s***.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2014, 07:55:12 pm »
I just got that it looks like you are about to go commercial. Am I right?

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2014, 07:59:09 pm »
I just got that it looks like you are about to go commercial. Am I right?

Aye, int he next year or so hopefully.  Assuming everything lines up correctly.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2014, 08:14:24 pm »
Good luck Jeff! I'm a foodservice pro and well connected to central Mass farmers. If I can help in any way let me know. I love that we can actually dream of doing such things! Much respect to those who took chances before us and folks like you who are putting it on the line now. Thank you!

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2014, 06:45:44 am »
Found this at the local liquor store.  18 bucks a 4 pack, worse then dogfish headbeers...

Jeff

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2014, 08:24:37 am »
Their beer is $18 for a four pack?

I was going to say that's really expensive but a 750ml of Chimay red goes for around $10-11 here which is half as much beer, so I guess it's about on par.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2014, 08:19:04 am »
I heard awhile back that as part of the support given to  St Joseph's Abby monks by Chimay there was a deal that all distributor's of Chimay in Massachusetts had to carry Spencer ale but it could not be priced cheaper than chimay. I saw it at Whole Foods ( aka "whole paycheck") yesterday for $19. I bought a 4 pack for my son last week for $17 at Provisions in North Hampton.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2014, 08:35:03 am »
Ach. Their f'ing price is way too high. We'll probably never see this beer down here anyway. Chimay is so ridiculously priced I won't buy it anymore. Haven't had one in years.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2014, 09:12:34 am »
I tried some at the club meeting, it was OK, but had too much Banana for me.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2014, 09:44:27 am »
It's ironic that trappist beers are so expensive. The rule of saint benedict clearly states that the produce of a monastic community should be priced slightly lower than market price to show humility. Although now that I say that I'm not totally sure that the trappist tradition follows the rule of saint benedict. Hmmm I'll have to ask my wife.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce