Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: PC wifi wiped out  (Read 6001 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
PC wifi wiped out
« on: January 10, 2014, 12:22:34 pm »
I was trying to download some software on my computer and it installed some f$&@#% malware. When I went to delete it my wifi was gone and it only allows me to access internet via Ethernet. Win 7 platform. **********it I f'ing hate windows.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
Re: PC wifi wiped out
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 12:37:18 pm »
Oh, and my question is: how the hell do I fix it?

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 01:27:44 pm »
I'm not a tech but the support site of MS has a clean uninstall program that you can download to try and uninstall the software you added although I doubt it will remove the malware as well.

I believe they also have a scan program that can detect and remove malware programs from the system

Once that's done you should be able to simply reboot and get your wifi back as the OS should see it missing and reinstall it automatically

Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in, good luck!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 01:31:33 pm »
It's a "why the hell did you install that software" issue, not a Windows issue.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 01:41:39 pm »
Reboot to safe-mode and system restore to a date previous to the time you installed the malware.

Might help, but sorry can't do anything about Windows itself.... ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 01:43:46 pm »
Reboot to safe-mode and system restore to a date previous to the time you installed the malware.

I've done that before. Worked for me, hopefully it will for you.
Jon H.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 01:55:14 pm »
Reformat and reinstall from a recent backup.  You do backup, right?

I am a moderator on another forum.  Recently one of the forum members posted a link to a website.  Being a good moderator, I clicked on the link to check it out.  Turns out the website downloads ransom malware onto the computer of whoever visits the site.  It was a new and particularly heinous version of ransom malware.  My malware protection program never even saw it.

After two days of trying to remove it, I finally threw up my hands and reformatted my hard drive.  I was fortunate to have a three day old backup to reinstall from.  The other new stuff I needed I was able to recover from my email server.

Two wasted days trying to avoid losing my hard drive data.  Then reformatting anyway.  The best part is that I got rid of all of the old junk hanging around on my hard drive when I reformatted.

Back up often.  Don't waste time trying to disinfect, just reformat and reinstall.  It's easier in the long run.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 01:57:38 pm »

You beat me to it, Denny. 

Around these parts, we call it "operator error."
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 02:01:22 pm »
On a more helpful note, I'd download and run Malwarebytes to clean your system.

Your wifi should be able to be enabled via your internet settings.  I know in Windows 7 they made it more complicated.  If 8 is anything like it, you should be able to diagnose the connections from an icon in the lower right.

If the hardware is not recognized, you'll need to go to your device manager and try to reinstall the hardware.  Deleting it from device manager and rebooting typically takes care of it.  I assume 8 still uses device manager.

Offline brew inspector

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 02:14:14 pm »
I would try malwarebytes then spybot search and destroy then do the restore (possibly in safe mode)

Reinstall if none of that works unless you want to spend untold hours attempting to remove manually assuming you even can figure out how

Sent from my SPH-M840 using Tapatalk

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 02:22:36 pm »
A key point may also be to download Malwarebytes and Spybot from a different computer.  Install via a flash drive.  You may need to boot to safe mode to install.

A lot of times, the newer viruses will disable your ability to download and install removal software.

Worst case, pull your hard drive and scan it from a different computer via a usb enclosure.

Removal is possible.  Reinstallation can be easier and faster if you can get your data off or have it backed up.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 09:23:32 am »

That's BS, man. I was trying to install Beer Tools Pro and it wanted me to install some type of zip opener. Yeah, it probably wasn't BTP fault but it sure looked like I needed it to instal the software to un-zip BTP.

I can assure you that security problems like this DO NOT EXIST on the Mac. I have NEVER had a problem with ad-malware taking over my computer on ANY Mac I EVER owned. Period. End of story.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 09:27:12 am »

You beat me to it, Denny. 

Around these parts, we call it "operator error."

Crap like this infuriates me. So, some f'ing a$s hat tricks me into installing a software I don't need (and it was cleverly done) and I'm the problem. That's wrong. This sort of thing should be illegal. This is invasion of privacy. This is like someone breaking into your house and hanging ads up that you can't remove. It's wrong. It's not my fault someone company tricks me into downloading malware.

Doesn't happen on Mac. Ever.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 09:30:24 am »
On a more helpful note, I'd download and run Malwarebytes to clean your system.

Your wifi should be able to be enabled via your internet settings.  I know in Windows 7 they made it more complicated.  If 8 is anything like it, you should be able to diagnose the connections from an icon in the lower right.

If the hardware is not recognized, you'll need to go to your device manager and try to reinstall the hardware.  Deleting it from device manager and rebooting typically takes care of it.  I assume 8 still uses device manager.

Good to see someone else who uses Malwarebytes.  I love it.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 10:12:33 am »

That's BS, man. I was trying to install Beer Tools Pro and it wanted me to install some type of zip opener. Yeah, it probably wasn't BTP fault but it sure looked like I needed it to instal the software to un-zip BTP.

I can assure you that security problems like this DO NOT EXIST on the Mac. I have NEVER had a problem with ad-malware taking over my computer on ANY Mac I EVER owned. Period. End of story.

OK, let's back this up a bit...first, I'm sorry to hear about your problems.  I know it can happen.  But to explain my position, let me tell you I have been using PCs since 1982.  I've also used Apples machines for about that long.  In all that time I have gotten exactly one virus on a PC, about 20 years ago.  I eradicated it quickly and easily.  I have also seen friends who have Macs get malware on their machines.  No, it doesn't happen often, but it does happen.  About as often as I've had a virus on my PC.

So, sorry to hear about your problems.  I hope some of the suggestions here help you.  In the future, I know you'll be more aware of this and hopefully not d/l anything you aren't certain about.

BTW, Windows has zip/unzip software built into it.

www.dennybrew.com