Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: PC wifi wiped out  (Read 5998 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: PC wifi wiped out
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2014, 07:05:15 am »
I have an iPad but I need something than can run Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop (graphics is my other gig). I've also kind of gotten over my tablet. Really dug it for a while but a full size keyboard and a mouse is what I really like. Otherwise I'll just use my iPhone.

Heh, as a graphics designer i cant believe you use windows. dont even get your laptop repaired, go buy a freaking mac;)

I would but I'm on a brewer's salary now and I can't afford one!  :o

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2014, 07:07:12 am »
:)  Start saving them nickels!

Cheers,
Jeff
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2014, 07:09:33 am »
He's got a mac already! 8)

Anyway, I'm with ya on the tablet thing. I wiped mine a couple three months ago and it has set there unused ever since. Really doubt that another will be purchased again- ever.

By the end of the year a phablet to replace my current phone!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2014, 07:19:27 am »
He's got a mac already! 8)

This is true. I actually have 2 macs. But my old Mac laptop is ancient and slow and some of the keys are missing. Still works like a champ though. The other one is a Mac Mini I got on ebay and it's "ok" for surfing the interwebs at home and doing iTunes and stuff but its not going to run AI and PS (plus I needed a laptop to bring to the brewery to work on graphic stuff).

I'm really loath to drop $2K on a Mac laptop so that actually might not happen and I might end up sticking with PCs after all. Plus I have the last "non subscription" versions of AI and PS and its on Win so I might be stuck for a long while.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2014, 07:32:48 am »
The Gimp is free and works very well. I'm not a wizz at PS but didn't see much difference between the two.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2014, 07:53:31 am »
The Gimp is free and works very well. I'm not a wizz at PS but didn't see much difference between the two.

Uhhhhhm .... no. ;) I am a wizz at PS and there's nothing that compares.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2014, 10:18:47 am »
I have an iPad but I need something than can run Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop (graphics is my other gig). I've also kind of gotten over my tablet. Really dug it for a while but a full size keyboard and a mouse is what I really like. Otherwise I'll just use my iPhone.

Heh, as a graphics designer i cant believe you use windows. dont even get your laptop repaired, go buy a freaking mac;)

This is just not true.  For years I ran a digital recording studio and my wife ran a computer animation company.  Contrary to the "conventional wisdom", we both used networks of PCs for the jobs.  It's just not true that the have to have a Mac for artisitic purposes.  My wife won an Emmy for animation produced on a PC system.  Most of the big audio studios doing post production use PC based systems.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2014, 10:43:29 am »

This is just not true.  For years I ran a digital recording studio and my wife ran a computer animation company.  Contrary to the "conventional wisdom", we both used networks of PCs for the jobs.  It's just not true that the have to have a Mac for artisitic purposes.  My wife won an Emmy for animation produced on a PC system.  Most of the big audio studios doing post production use PC based systems.

I'll go a step further and say that I don't think macs are superior in anyway except marketing. for the most part the components are the same now, all running on intel chips. The interface is confusing unless you were raised on it, just like windows. The Virus issue, as stated elsewhere is largely a case of the 20%-80% rule.

There may have been a time when mac was truly superior to PC but I think that time has passed.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2014, 10:58:40 am »
So, here's the deal. For years adobe just didn't make AI or PS on PC platform. That didn't happen until sometime in the 90s.

My PC runs AI and PS just fine. No complaints there. There are a few ways in which I prefer the way Mac OS handles the software but I can do anything on the PC that I could on the Mac.

But the look and feel of a Mac compliments the experience of the creative professional better in mine and many other visual professionals. Obviously not the only way to go but I can attest that in 22 years being involved in the visual arts field most people prefer the experience of the Mac OS.  For those if us who think creatively it is hard to beat. But obviously it is not for everyone.

I don't consider myself a fan boy. I just have had a better experience on Mac OS and I think that win platform is clunky, backwards in many ways and poorly thought out. Though, it certainly had gotten much better with Win 7. I don't mind that platform if there weren't so many security flaws.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2014, 11:01:56 am »

I'll go a step further and say that I don't think macs are superior in anyway except marketing. for the most part the components are the same now, all running on intel chips. The interface is confusing unless you were raised on it, just like windows. The Virus issue, as stated elsewhere is largely a case of the 20%-80% rule.

There may have been a time when mac was truly superior to PC but I think that time has passed.

I completely disagree. Marketing has nothing to do with it. The way Mac OS handles compared to win is much sleeker and the security is so much better it is night and day difference.

Mac OS continues to improve users experience while windows makes strides then takes a step back. Win 8 is so f'ed up I can barely stand to use it.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2014, 04:17:19 pm »
All right guys.You made me do it.
Did someone said Linux?
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2014, 07:02:00 pm »
If it were it were not for PCs, I would have to find another field to work in.  I've moved many of the companies I support to Macs, however some still depend on Windows based software for their business and are "stuck" with Windows systems.

I personally prefer Macs, but you can still use PCs to do great things.  That being said, I feel Macs are better for most applications, and for some of the reasons Keith mentioned above.  The only area that I can think of where PCs are better than Macs is probably gaming.

I did like Windows 7, but hate Windows 8, especially from a troubleshooting aspect. 

Now when it comes to laptops, I still get PCs for myself, but that's mainly due to pricing.  I personally only use my laptop for work.  My wife has a 2-yr-old Toshiba Win 7 laptop that's been great and hasn't had any issues.

It's funny, once I get clients using Macs, I rarely hear from them unless there is network or server issues.  I get at least a 1/2 dozen calls a week due to security issues (virus/ spyware infections) with Windows systems.  I don't even install security software on my own Mac or on my client's Macs and haven't had a single security issues w/ a Mac (going on. 7 yrs!).  Macs aren't immune to viruses or spyware, but a user would have to really f-up to infect a Mac.

Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2014, 07:02:51 pm »

Did someone said Linux?

Ha, I was waiting for that!
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2014, 09:58:18 am »
Did someone said Linux?

Linux is great.  Unfortunately, for the software I need to run, it's not an option.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2014, 12:59:51 pm »
Did someone said Linux?

Linux is great.  Unfortunately, for the software I need to run, it's not an option.

+1 - I dabbled with Linux many moons ago back during the dark days of Win ME, but it just didn't do enough of what I needed it to do (which was Diablo II at the time, IIRC). As of right now it's Android for everything that I can use it for, and Win 7 for my desktop/laptop. Frankly I use my phone and my Nexus 7 for about 2/3 of everything, and Windows just when needed.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer