Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Extract boil volume  (Read 2435 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Extract boil volume
« on: January 14, 2014, 05:44:45 am »
Based on another thread I posted, I have a question about full boil volume. On my last 5 gallon batch (5 gallons full boil) I noted that I added just shy of a gallon back into the final volume.

-Should I try to full boil ~ 6 gallons next time?

-How important is the intensity of the boil? I currently do a boil that is closer to not boiling vs a rolling boil. Is there a preferred temp to focus on?

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Extract boil volume
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 05:50:10 am »
If you have space in your kettle for 6 gallons, go for the full boil. You want a boil that breaks the surface of the wort. A full boil helps coagulate proteins, drive away off flavors, and more. It doesn't need to boil violently though. I don't think you can judge boil intensity by temperature though.

- Sent by my R2 unit

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 05:52:08 am »
If you have space in your kettle for 6 gallons, go for the full boil. You want a boil that breaks the surface of the wort. A full boil helps coagulate proteins, drive away off flavors, and more. It doesn't need to boil violently though. I don't think you can judge boil intensity by temperature though.

- Sent by my R2 unit

If i remember correctly, in an extract boil most the things that mtnrockhopper listed have already been taken care of by the extract producer.  Id still get a full boil for hop utilization either way.
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 05:54:46 am »
Oh yes, on to my coffee now

- Sent by my R2 unit

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 06:14:10 am »
It should be enough of a boil to call it a boil, not simmer. If the surface is flat and still with little bubbles surfacing that's a simmer. You should see some shape on the surface and a rolling action to anything in the boil. Like hops flowing around...

Offline howlinghound

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 06:58:17 am »
Certainly some good turbid motion of the boil water is preferred rather than a simmer.  But take care not to have the hops "climb the walls" of the boil pot.  It doesn't do much good to have half of your hops stuck to the side of the pot three inches above the boiling water.

For me and on windy days, I can get a bit of a boil-up (but not over) when the air gets still and the flame is not blown around.

Either way, a boil - vigorous or less so is 212 degrees ( or closer to 206 here in Colorado).