Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thank you!  (Read 2976 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Thank you!
« on: January 11, 2014, 12:55:26 pm »
Just wanted to say thanks again for all the comments and help. I wrapped a 5 gallon batch (Surly Furious clone) and everything went so smoothly. Brewing certainly gets easier the more you do it.

My OG came out right at the high end (1.068) of the recipe, so I suppose that's better than the low end? It didn't too great though, not sure if it should. I'm going to add some more dry hops once it goes into secondary next week.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Thank you!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 02:36:18 pm »
Just wanted to say thanks again for all the comments and help. I wrapped a 5 gallon batch (Surly Furious clone) and everything went so smoothly. Brewing certainly gets easier the more you do it.

My OG came out right at the high end (1.068) of the recipe, so I suppose that's better than the low end? It didn't too great though, not sure if it should. I'm going to add some more dry hops once it goes into secondary next week.

Brewing certainly gets easier the more you do it.

+1 to that.
Jon H.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 04:09:29 pm »
This forum has helped me also with brewing better beer. I think this forum has helped just as much, if not more, than any brewing book that I've read. A great resource with an array of knowledge.
Dan Chisholm

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 04:17:33 pm »
This forum has helped me also with brewing better beer. I think this forum has helped just as much, if not more, than any brewing book that I've read. A great resource with an array of knowledge.

Man, I totally agree. The collective knowledge and experience on this site is just fantastic. There's not an ingredient, technique, temp, style, etc. that dozens of people haven't used.  And dozens of different approaches and ideas to get to (hopefully) the same end result. I feel really dumb for waiting so long to get on the forum.
Jon H.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 05:01:43 pm »
Any thoughts on the OG? Is it better to be on the high end?  I assume it means it is going to have a higher ABV.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 05:31:00 pm »
Good to hear that. And a higher OG will usually yield a higher ABV, though it probably won't be significant. Did the recipe give an OG range?
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 06:22:43 pm »
1.064-1.068

Offline philm63

• Assistant Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 06:31:26 pm »
As long as the final gravity is in-line with what is expected, the slightly higher OG will result in a slightly higher ABV - not a bad problem to have, me thinks!
AHA Member

On Tap: APA - 1st brew on the new system!
On Deck: Kolsch, IPA

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 10:21:38 pm »
That range is under 0.5% ABV difference. No impact on beer character. Actually, it's nice to see a recipe with a range since the since different systems have different efficiencies. It's more realistic.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 07:46:04 am »
There are other forums out there but you probably get the quickest and sincerest responses on the AHA. Often within several minutes of posting a topic.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 08:11:47 am »
There are other forums out there but you probably get the quickest and sincerest responses on the AHA. Often within several minutes of posting a topic.

+1

This is the only forum I regularly follow anymore. You can ask total beginner's questions without fear of ridicule. You can ask high level questions and you'll get high level answers. Also, the mods do a great job on the forum.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

Offline Stevie

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 09:35:03 am »
n00b! Learn to use the search function. :D

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 10:35:06 am »

I also think the signal/noise ratio is the best here of all the homebrew forums. I trust the posters here more than the other forums I've been to as well.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 02:03:55 pm »

I also think the signal/noise ratio is the best here of all the homebrew forums. I trust the posters here more than the other forums I've been to as well.

+1.  For sure.
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 09:47:36 am »

Man, I totally agree. The collective knowledge and experience on this site is just fantastic. There's not an ingredient, technique, temp, style, etc. that dozens of people haven't used.  And dozens of different approaches and ideas to get to (hopefully) the same end result. I feel really dumb for waiting so long to get on the forum.
I so agree with these sentiments. I brewed 4 extract batches before I even tried to look on internet for info.  I had read Palmer a year before my first batch, and thought if I just referenced it while reading kit instructions I would be fine. So glad I joined the AHA and this forum. Everyone's input has helped to brew better beer for my last 2 batches. Thanks again and good brewing to y'all
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)