Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry hopping  (Read 1699 times)

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
Dry hopping
« on: January 12, 2014, 04:42:23 pm »
So I have been dry hopping my IPA in the secondary for 7 days. It was in the primary for 10 days. The OG was 1.070 and it's now 1.022. Beer looked amazing before it went into the secondary. What I am wondering if I just pull my bag of hops from my fermenting bucket, will the beer be good for another 7 days in the secondary.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
Re: Dry hopping
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 04:44:27 pm »
Id still transfer it into a fresh bucket i think.  most bags let a lot of hop particulate threw so you might as well try and get it off of all the crud.

My opinion:)
Jeff
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 04:49:02 pm »
I use fine mesh nylon bags for dry hopping - a week and then into the keg.  If you used something like a muslin bag and are concerned about hop particulate, I would pull the hop bag, wait a couple days for things to settle, then keg or bottle.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 04:53:12 pm »
Three fermentors total? I use one.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 05:12:20 pm »
Three fermentors total? I use one.

My thinking.  I dry hop in secondary, but I'm very careful on the transfer. Better to possibly have a little hop particulate that'll settle out than 5 gallons of oxidized beer.
Jon H.

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 05:36:21 pm »
So I think I will just bottle and let it condition there. Probably my safest bet. What do you guys do when you dry hop?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 05:40:47 pm »
So I think I will just bottle and let it condition there. Probably my safest bet. What do you guys do when you dry hop?

Did you use a cloth muslin bag ?  If so, I'd wait a couple days as mentioned after pulling it to let hop particles settle, and then bottle.  I transfer to a keg after dry hopping a week because I use a fine mesh nylon bag and very little hop matter escapes it.
Jon H.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 05:45:20 pm »
if its just a few ounces ill let it settle in the bucket for a few hours after i move it before bottling, if its 5-12 ozs like some of the Dipas ive made then i will let settle and rack it into a new bucket for fining with gelatin.

Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 05:45:58 pm »
I used a fine mesh bag I got from the LHBS. First time doing this so I don't wanna jack anything up. So you think it's better to wait a few days after pulling the bag out?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 05:49:32 pm »
I used a fine mesh bag I got from the LHBS. First time doing this so I don't wanna jack anything up. So you think it's better to wait a few days after pulling the bag out?

I'd go ahead and bottle, man. You're good to go- those fine mesh are the ones I use.
Jon H.