Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cask Additions  (Read 4018 times)

Offline dshay

• 1st Kit
Cask Additions
« on: January 11, 2014, 08:38:22 am »
Hello there,

I am going to do a stout in my new pin that I got from NorthernBrewer, and had a few questions for those of you that have experience with casks.

I want to have the addition of raspberries and cocoa nibs to the cask. I understand that it takes two to three weeks for the cask to carbonate. So will having the addition of 5 pounds of raspberries and 8 oz cocoa nibs be okay in the cask for that long of a period? I was worried that they might start to break down and deteriorate or give off flavors etc etc.

Anyone with experience with this please give your two cents or lessons learned from casking. This will be my first time using a pin.

Thanks for the help, cheers.

Offline anthony

• Brewer
  • Hoppy to help!
    • Triptych
Re: Cask Additions
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 12:04:14 pm »
I'd also worry about the huge amount of carbonation the raspberries are going to provide.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 12:28:19 pm »
I wouldn't worry about the raspberries breaking down and causing off flavors... I would worry about all the sugars contained within the raspberries...
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 01:43:44 pm »
I wouldn't worry about the raspberries breaking down and causing off flavors... I would worry about all the sugars contained within the raspberries...

Yes, the fruit won't hurt anything, but it does have a lot of sugar, so you have to figure that in with the priming sugar.  I added cherries to a keg of flat Belgian sour beer once and shipped it to the NHC in Baltimore.  It was carbonated by the time it got there.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline dshay

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 08:58:08 am »
Is there a way to figure how much of the sugars from the fruit will soak into the brew? Say like a rough estimate or guideline? Was planning on adding 5 pounds of the raspberries to the 5 gallon pin. I understand you can vent off the c02, but do not want to over do it, as it will be my first time trying this for a party.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 10:19:11 am »
I do not have a lot of experience with cask conditioning but it seems like it would make a lot more sense to add the fruit to a secondary fermenter and then, when all the activity has settled down, rack to the pin and user sugar or wort to carbonate. perhaps I am missing something?

however, the contribution of sugar from 5 lbs of raspberries is going to be negligible in every way except for carbonation.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline dshay

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 10:57:17 am »
I have considered adding the cocoa nibs and raspberries to the secondary as most people do with normal brews. I have had cask a few times at bars and there seems to always be a special addition to it, just thought it would be a fun brew to try. Didn't know where to start.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 10:58:43 am »
I do not have a lot of experience with cask conditioning but it seems like it would make a lot more sense to add the fruit to a secondary fermenter and then, when all the activity has settled down, rack to the pin and user sugar or wort to carbonate. perhaps I am missing something?

however, the contribution of sugar from 5 lbs of raspberries is going to be negligible in every way except for carbonation.

I agree with you, Jonathan.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 11:04:10 am »
I have considered adding the cocoa nibs and raspberries to the secondary as most people do with normal brews. I have had cask a few times at bars and there seems to always be a special addition to it, just thought it would be a fun brew to try. Didn't know where to start.

I would worry less about the cocoa nibs actually being in the pin. They aren't going to break down into an unpleasant pinkish/greyish goop at the bottom of the cask like I suspect the raspberries would.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline dshay

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 11:34:13 am »
That was my original thought with the raspberries being in there for some long, was worried they might break down. It might be best to just add them to secondary then and taste to see how long I want them in for.

As far as the cocoa nibs go, has anyone had any experience with having them in a brew for a 3 week time frame, any off flavors or anything? Or would you recommend simply adding them in secondary as well?

Thanks for the help I appreciate it.

Cheers

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 01:18:36 pm »
You may also want to shoot Paul at UK Brewing a email and ask him.  He's been very helpful to me with any of my cask related questions. paul@ukbrewing.com
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"