Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: HELP needed  (Read 2497 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
HELP needed
« on: January 11, 2014, 10:00:08 pm »
So my ale has been fermenting for about 9 hours (5 gallon carboy) and it's been quite active. The krausen is going to touch the stopper very shortly and I think I'm going to have my first blow off. I currently have a stopper and airlock. Can anyone advise on what I should do?
I have a thick tube that I can feed into the carboy and then into a jar of sanitizer.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 08:16:11 am by flbrewer »

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: HELP needed
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 10:04:01 pm »
Yeah just figure a way to connect a hose the top of your fermenter with the other end in sanitizer.  The sanitizer isn't necessary but I always used it because I could see the bubbles better.  Just make sure to have as good a seal on the carboy as you can.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
HELP needed
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 10:10:52 pm »
If you don't have thick enough hose, jam a length of siphon tubing onto the post of a three piece airlock and stick the end in a cup of sanitizer.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 10:26:26 pm »
WOW, this thing is angry. First time I've had to use a blow off tube. I'm curious why, maybe it's the yeast starter I made. Maybe just the fact that it's a Surly clone.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 10:28:24 pm by flbrewer »

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 10:28:14 pm »
If you don't have thick enough hose, jam a length of siphon tubing onto the post of a three piece airlock and stick the end in a cup of sanitizer.
This was my answer too.
If that 'thick tube' fills the carboy neck, you can jam it in and wrap with plastic wrap if needed to seal.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline philm63

• Assistant Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 06:22:36 am »
Is that a 5-Gallon carboy I see in the photo? If so, that won't leave much head space with a typical 5-Gallon batch during primary fermentation.

A 6 or 6.5 G carboy would give more room for those angry fermentations - heck; even with a 6.5 G with a Hefe yeast, you're still gonna need a blow-off tube (learned that one the hard way).
AHA Member

On Tap: APA - 1st brew on the new system!
On Deck: Kolsch, IPA

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 06:25:55 am »
Having made a starter, you most likely have very active yeast and you don't have much headspace in the carboy so the extra activity causes more foam.  That foam has to go somewhere, the only outlet is the neck of the carboy.

It looks like you controlling the temp with a water bath and ice (in some form) which will help slowdown, but not stop, the blow off.

The picture makes me think you are doing fine.  The activity will slow down in a day (or two).

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 06:33:39 am »
What you have there is a healthy fermentation. COngratulations. ;) And FTR it's Krausen (whihc is mainly yeast) not "traub" (or trube, which is protein coagulation and hops material you get on bottom of kettle and fermentor after hot and cold break.) It's just always good for us to use the same descriptors so we all know what everyone is talking about.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 06:57:06 am »
+1 on looking into using 6 gallon carboys. Also, I would recommend using a blow off hose every time until primary fermentation is complete. It's better to be safe than to be getting yelled at the old lady as you're scrubbing the ceiling. I actually overflowed my blowoff basin last night. That doesn't happen often but it has before, so I learned to put it in the sink. (The bathroom in the basement doesn't not get used to its now the fermenting room). I use a canister jar that's about a a quart and a half that I use for my basin. Many use quart sized Mason jar.

Great job on making great yeast and having great fermentation!
Frank

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 07:21:33 am »
Proper headspace! Something a brewer learns about pretty early on. My first experience with a blowoff was when the krausen geysered out of the carboy and was painting the guest bathroom every 15 seconds. The sound of spraying woke me up in in the wee hours. Imagine Old Faithful...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 08:18:31 am »
It's a 6 gallon carboy, I was just surprised as I've never seen that much activity before. Thanks for the tips, and crisis averted. I sorta' like the blowoff tube setup, the bubble sounds sound cooler vs. an airlock!

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 08:44:56 am »
It's a 6 gallon carboy, I was just surprised as I've never seen that much activity before. Thanks for the tips, and crisis averted. I sorta' like the blowoff tube setup, the bubble sounds sound cooler vs. an airlock!

+1.  There's no real reason to not use your blowoff setup on every one of your brews.  That's what I do.  Better safe than sorry.
Joe

Offline howlinghound

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 09:15:53 am »
I have a related question and note the suggestion that a blow off set up be used every time.

Have not used one and have not (yet) had a problem fermenting in 6.5 gallon glass carboys.  Today I plan to brew the Golden Strong recipe from the AHA site some months ago provided the wind cooperates and I can run my boil - but I have never done a "3x" yeast recipe like this and suspect that the head space will not be sufficient to not use a blow off setup.

Should this set up be maintained from start of fermentation until kegging/bottling and/or does anyone have some sage advise on such high volume yeast recipes?  -Thanks

Offline Stevie

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 09:29:01 am »

I have a related question and note the suggestion that a blow off set up be used every time.

Have not used one and have not (yet) had a problem fermenting in 6.5 gallon glass carboys.  Today I plan to brew the Golden Strong recipe from the AHA site some months ago provided the wind cooperates and I can run my boil - but I have never done a "3x" yeast recipe like this and suspect that the head space will not be sufficient to not use a blow off setup.

Should this set up be maintained from start of fermentation until kegging/bottling and/or does anyone have some sage advise on such high volume yeast recipes?  -Thanks

You will only need the blowoff for the first part of fermentation. Once it begins to settled down, you can swap to an airlock. There is no harm in leaving it in the entire time.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 04:07:51 pm »
This was my answer too.
If that 'thick tube' fills the carboy neck, you can jam it in and wrap with plastic wrap if needed to seal.

+1.  Works well.
Jon H.