Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Secondary Poll  (Read 4503 times)

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
Re: Secondary Poll
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 11:02:50 am »
I'm one of those.  No dry hops, no secondary.  But if I plan to dry hop, I'll go 3-4 weeks in primary, then rack to secondary and dry hop.  I prefer the results from doing it that way.

Denny I'm somewhat surprised by how long you leave your beer in the primary.  I understand that there isn't a problem in doing it, but I find myself wondering if there is a benefit (other than ensuring FG).

He's too busy writing books!
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 11:18:23 am »
I have found benefits, such as no more acetaldehyde problem. To my understanding, hitting FG doesn't mean the yeast is done doing its job. I've also found that it depends on how big the beer is and the temp. My personal method is finding FG and no off flavors, not just FG. For me, generally that's 3-5 weeks

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 11:35:36 am »
Denny I'm somewhat surprised by how long you leave your beer in the primary.  I understand that there isn't a problem in doing it, but I find myself wondering if there is a benefit (other than ensuring FG).

Steve, laziness is the main reason I think.  It all kinda depends on when I get around to taking a gravity reading or feel like I have time to deal with it if a reading shows me it's done.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 11:37:34 am »
I too may go 3-4 weeks in primary, no secondary except for fruit, dry hop in keg.  Less transfer, less chance for problems.
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 12:09:47 pm »
The only time I rack to secondary is if I'm splitting a batch, or adding bugs after primary. Otherwise everything stays in the primary for at least 2 weeks (I've gone as long as a couple of months for big beers - haven't picked up any autolysis flavors yet). I dry hop, add fruit/spices, whatever. I just haven't seen a need for it. I don't have a lot of free time, so I go for the simplest method that makes good beer.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2013, 02:00:00 pm »

Steve, laziness is the main reason I think.  It all kinda depends on when I get around to taking a gravity reading or feel like I have time to deal with it if a reading shows me it's done.
Good to get advice like this from a professional - reaffirms my current 'methods'!
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2013, 03:23:45 pm »
I rarely keg before for weeks and never use a secondary.  Most of my beers are bigger beers, and they seem to need longer to finish.  Smaller beers may get kegged at three weeks, but I don't pay that much attention.

I used to use secondaries a lot, but often it was to free up a larger fermenter by transferring a beer to a 5 gallon carboy so I could have more batches going.  I was brewing more frequently at that time.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2013, 09:57:56 pm »
I rack to keg for smallish beers after 2-3 weeks (kegging), but for lagers and bigger beers, I primary for a month. For Belgians (especially oaked Flanders or other similar beers that are well served for aging) I will age in secondary, including oak barrels.

You can't take the secondary out of all processes, of course.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Three

• Assistant Brewer
  • Avon, IN
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2013, 10:28:44 pm »
If you can transfer to an o2 free secondary (like a corny keg or bright tank) then it's great or, as Tom says, for fruit or other actual secondary fermentation.

+1.  I use one for these reasons too, and I use a purged secondary for dry hopping now as well.  Otherwise it isn't necessary.

+1 +1 This is exactly what I do.....  Oxygenation is my fear on some of my bigger hoppier beers.  So into a co2 purged keg it is.....
Anyone who sings a tune so sweet is passin by........

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2013, 01:52:43 pm »
I only use a secondary for extended aging, using fruit, or dry hopping.  I find dry hopping in the primary the yeast absorb too many of the hop oils...
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2013, 03:37:33 pm »
My recollection of using a secondary when I first started homebrewing in the mid-90's was so the beer was not on the yeast for an extended period of time and inviting autolysis.  With the quality of the yeast now at our disposal, this is not really an issue.  So I stopped using a secondary several years ago and have not looked back.  I'll leave a lager or big beer on the cake for 6-8 weeks. 

However I can understand why one would use a secondary for fruit, oak aging or major dry hopping. 

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2014, 09:59:55 pm »
Just came across this topic. This is the best advice to date for me. This whole time I have been brewing ( 1 1/2 years), I have been transferring to a secondary for no damn good reason. I will probably on transfer now if I am dry hopping or finishing on fruit. I have a great feeling about future batches. Can't wait to see how my 10 gallon American Wheat will turn out.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2014, 04:02:24 am »
When I dry hop, I use a secondary. I also harvest the yeast, so it's good to get it before there's 6 oz of hops in with it. I also use a secondary fir fruit additions.
Frank

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2014, 07:57:31 am »
I dont bother with a secondary either. If dry hopping, i like to wait till fermentation slows (3-4 days) then toss the hops in the primary. The light fermentation activity helps carry away the O2 in the hops. After dryhopping i may transfer to another carboy for a day or so before kegging to make sure i dont pick up any hops. Nothing more frustrating than sucking up a hop leaf clogging the pin lock.
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2014, 08:02:06 am »
When I dry hop, I use a secondary. I also harvest the yeast, so it's good to get it before there's 6 oz of hops in with it. I also use a secondary fir fruit additions.

+1
Jon H.