Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Happy First Birthday!  (Read 1708 times)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Happy First Birthday!
« on: January 10, 2014, 03:46:52 pm »
To my 2013 AmerEng Barleywine.  I didn't think I would ever like this style, but I had to make one to round out my brewing skills/palate/knowledge/curiosity.  Well one year later and it's truly delicious.  It's AmerEng because it's American ingredients with an English yeast.

I saw a few posts about Barleywine lately so I thought I would post the recipe (as I'm sipping).  The 037 adds a unique nutty bite that really makes it pop for me.

7.1G to 5.38G after boil

20# Breiss 2-Row
1# 80 Crystal
2 oz Chinook at 60 mins
2.5 oz Cascade at 15 mins
2.5 oz Cascade at 1 min
White Labs 037 (Sammy Smith) yeast because it is a beast!

Went form 1.100 to 1.012 or 88% attenuation for 11.69% abv.

Cheers!

Dave
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 03:49:30 pm by davidgzach »
Dave Zach

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Happy First Birthday!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 04:20:41 pm »
nice. gotta love a big ol BW for sippin. I like the look of the recipe. nice and simple. (although, of course I would have left out the crystal)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 04:31:11 pm »
nice. gotta love a big ol BW for sippin. I like the look of the recipe. nice and simple. (although, of course I would have left out the crystal)

Mort,

Agreed on the crystal.  But from what I have read 5% is acceptable.  The 2014 version will be sans crystal!

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 04:42:52 pm »
Sounds great ! Excellent attenuation - I'm assuming you mashed that bad boy low, low especially with the crystal. I remember the first one I made  (ok, made well) - I hated it for 7 or 8 months, then kinda liked it at 10 months, loved it @ a year. Go figure.
Jon H.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 04:54:33 pm »
Sounds great ! Excellent attenuation - I'm assuming you mashed that bad boy low, low especially with the crystal. I remember the first one I made  (ok, made well) - I hated it for 7 or 8 months, then kinda liked it at 10 months, loved it @ a year. Go figure.

Yea, correct Jon.  Mashed it at 148 for 90 minutes.
Dave Zach

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 05:00:47 pm »
I haven't had a BW in a while! Have one bottle from 2008 left.

Some age really mellows the style. My second batch was great at 30 days but then wasn't that good to drink for another six months but a year later and it was even smoother and more complex. Unfortunately the carbonation had diminished somewhat.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 05:10:20 pm »
Funny - I remember a good natured argument I had with a novice brewer buddy .  I mashed a quad, my favorite strong style, at 149F.  Now this was an 1.105 beer, but he didn't get how much body was gonna be left even after mashing that low and using a Belgian yeast.  I think he was expecting a dark tripel but was converted pretty quickly.
Jon H.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 06:08:13 pm »
Funny - I remember a good natured argument I had with a novice brewer buddy .  I mashed a quad, my favorite strong style, at 149F.  Now this was an 1.105 beer, but he didn't get how much body was gonna be left even after mashing that low and using a Belgian yeast.  I think he was expecting a dark tripel but was converted pretty quickly.

Yea.  Even though it attenuated to 1.012, I'd like to hear someone call it a thin beer!  Great lace on the glass as well.  Just kinda worked......

Dave
Dave Zach