Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Non-standard 12 oz bottles and NHC  (Read 3536 times)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Non-standard 12 oz bottles and NHC
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 11:45:31 am »
Non long necks should be ok. A long as if fits "correctly" in the case box. Judges will make a mental note if you use anything other than a long neck that matches what you buy at the home brew store (you may have just lost a point). Some judges will even make a "I didn't know anchor made a xyz beer" comment. A passive aggressive way of saying this is nationals, bring it strong, don't cheap out, no excuses.

If a judge is taking a point off because of bottle type someone needs to slap them around a bit
I hear that sometimes, but fact is there are no points associated with the bottle inspection, only comments. I think people read negative comments and infer something or get dramatic.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 01:18:13 pm »
That's my thoughts as well Jimmy.  I've never been with another judge that tried to take points off for a bottle or the fill in a bottle.  But I always note down that stuff.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline darwin18

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 01:38:46 pm »
You shouldn't lose points based on bottle appearance or fill level.  That being said, you're paying $14 an entry for the NHC - if you're worried about DQ'ing then maybe should use the standard 12 oz bottle?  I've ever seen one entry in a competition be nearly DQ'ed for a bottle, and that was an entry at the NC State fair where the brewer submitted a Heineken bottle with the Heineken label still in place.  It was a stout, and you could clearly tell that it wasn't Heineken, but the judges were very close to DQ'ing it. 
BJCP #F0684 - Certified

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 09:00:14 am »
That's my thoughts as well Jimmy.  I've never been with another judge that tried to take points off for a bottle or the fill in a bottle.  But I always note down that stuff.
In fact - Question 49 in the T/F written exam questions listed in the guidelines
  The results of the bottle inspection does not affect the scoring.  - True
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958