Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Maintaining temperatures for fermentation  (Read 1553 times)

Offline thegooch52

• 1st Kit
Maintaining temperatures for fermentation
« on: January 12, 2014, 01:08:55 pm »
Hello,

I'm new to homebrewing and would eventually like to brew lagers and the like. I'm looking for a way to rig up a fridge or deep freeze to maintain the desired temps during fermentation. I've seen quite a few different designs. I'm looking for the best way to be able to essentially set it and forget it as I don't have a lot of time to keep constant check on it. I figured you guys would have knowledge/experience and be able to point me in the right direction.  Thank you for your time!

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Maintaining temperatures for fermentation
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 01:13:29 pm »
We'll if you don't already have a fridge for a fermenter buy one off craigslist unless you wanna pay for a new one. You can buy a Johnson digital temp controller from just about every homebrew website. Just follow the directions and you got a fermentation chamber. But I am pretty sure you can make a temp regulator if you don't wanna buy one. There not that expensive though, maybe $70 bucks.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 01:23:49 pm »
http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Digital-Temperature-Controller/dp/B0064O93L8

Id get the digital version, but there is an analog version made by Johnson.  The digital version can be set so there is less temp difference (+/-).   There are other brands but this seems to be the most common.  i have mine hooked up to an old college mini-fridge to store hops and another setup to a chest freezer to hold at 40F.  works great!  Any decent LHBS should have them in stock. 
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline thegooch52

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 02:01:53 pm »
Thanks guys. I already have a deep freeze. Will I need something to heat it if the temp drops too low?

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 02:02:22 pm »
I recommend a dual stage controller so that you can heat or cool.  I currently use a kegerator as a fermentation chamber with a heating wrap inside it.  I have the temperature probe from the controller inside a Thermowell which is siting in the fermenting beer.  That way it is measuring and controlling beer temperature, not the air surrounding.  With this setup I control the temperature of my fermenting beer within a one degree fluctuation.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline thegooch52

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 02:08:20 pm »
Sounds good. I'll need to be able to heat and cool because I live in Arkansas. Monday the high was 11 degrees. Today is Sunday and it's 65. Lots of fluctuation