Author Topic: Frickin cleaning time  (Read 2444 times)

Offline thatgeekguy

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
Re: Frickin cleaning time
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 11:37:52 AM »
Thanks to everyone for the compliments on the sink, I did get a little anal with the design.  ;D

Since then I've added two small plastic baskets off the back edge, gives me a place for sponges/nozzles/fittings/other junk.

I guess I'll put it over in Pimp My System, maybe it will make the next Gadgets issue or a monthly writeup. My burner igniter did make this year's Gadgets issue, didn't even know until my issue arrived....
I'm only here for the beer....

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • View Profile
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2014, 12:26:40 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the compliments on the sink, I did get a little anal with the design.  ;D

Since then I've added two small plastic baskets off the back edge, gives me a place for sponges/nozzles/fittings/other junk.

I guess I'll put it over in Pimp My System, maybe it will make the next Gadgets issue or a monthly writeup. My burner igniter did make this year's Gadgets issue, didn't even know until my issue arrived....

Gets my vote for "Pimp My System" (which hasn't been very creative / impressive of late).

Could you take a few action shots during brew day? The more pictures, the better!
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline Steve in TX

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2014, 12:53:01 PM »
What about adding a small instant hot water heater? I know at my work they have them for the bathroom and break room sinks. They aren't too big, about the size of a hard bound book.

Offline klickitat jim

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2014, 05:55:02 PM »
Camp Chief makes a portable propane camp shower that is on my wish list. When I finally cough up the money for one I'll be building one of these wash stations. But I want to build a three burner brew stand first...

Offline brick pig

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
    • Brick Pig
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2014, 11:43:40 AM »
Hmm. I've always just used our kitchen sink. I've never thought that it was any bigger than anyone else's sink, but maybe it is if all you guys are saying you can't fit everything into yours. Once in awhile I will take a carboy outside and hose it out, if the weather is decent and it's a time of year when we have the hoses connected anyway. But generally our sink works fine for me.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2014, 12:23:24 PM »
Hmm. I've always just used our kitchen sink. I've never thought that it was any bigger than anyone else's sink, but maybe it is if all you guys are saying you can't fit everything into yours. Once in awhile I will take a carboy outside and hose it out, if the weather is decent and it's a time of year when we have the hoses connected anyway. But generally our sink works fine for me.

Your right, the kitchen works OK for carboys and 5 gallon buckets.  When you start to use vessels much larger than that, the typical kitchen sink becomes more challenging to work with.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brew Crew
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Steve in TX

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2014, 12:39:31 PM »

My kitchen sink isn't all that deep. Apartment living sucks sometimes. A spray hose would be nice.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2014, 12:53:16 PM »

My kitchen sink isn't all that deep. Apartment living sucks sometimes. A spray hose would be nice.

I rigged my old apartment sink with a garden hose attachment so I could hook up a small length of tubing as a "sprayer". Not perfect, but worked okay for what it was.
Amanda Burkemper
Kansas City Bier Meister; BJCP Master
Redbird Brewhouse - There's Always a Project
Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline brick pig

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
    • Brick Pig
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2014, 01:02:01 PM »
Your right, the kitchen works OK for carboys and 5 gallon buckets.  When you start to use vessels much larger than that, the typical kitchen sink becomes more challenging to work with.
Well, that's true; I only do 5-gallon batches, and I only do extract.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2014, 03:01:10 PM »

I've got a pretty big kitchen sink, but I don't think I could fit a carboy in it.  My 7 or 8 gallon kettle pretty much is the largest thing I can clean in there.

Thankfully, I have a floor drain in my basement and a hose attached to my slop sink.  I just have to make sure I don't spray Jr. when he's "helping out."  He loves to stir the bubbles in the bucket of star san.  Often with his whole arm, sleeve and all.  He goes back upstairs dripping wet.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2014, 07:59:26 PM »

I've got a pretty big kitchen sink, but I don't think I could fit a carboy in it.  My 7 or 8 gallon kettle pretty much is the largest thing I can clean in there.

Thankfully, I have a floor drain in my basement and a hose attached to my slop sink.  I just have to make sure I don't spray Jr. when he's "helping out."  He loves to stir the bubbles in the bucket of star san.  Often with his whole arm, sleeve and all.  He goes back upstairs dripping wet.
I dream about floor drains.  You got it good brotha.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brew Crew
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2014, 08:45:32 PM »
The floor drain is where I cracked the lays glass carboy I will ever use. Not the drains fault though.

It's nice to have but it dries out in the winter so I have to cap it. The tile is cracked and it's not worth digging up the floor. In the summer the dehumidifier dumps into it and keeps it full which is nice.

I've got a squeegee for when I hose off the floor but I don't know where my son put it. He's only two so he doesn't remember.  I found out after the last time I hosed off the floor.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline brick pig

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
    • Brick Pig
Frickin cleaning time
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2014, 04:46:18 AM »
I've got a pretty big kitchen sink, but I don't think I could fit a carboy in it....
i have to use the sprayer hose to rinse, but the carboy will lay in there on its side.

Funny, I have a floor drain in the basement, but it never occurred to me until reading this that I could use it for cleaning up after brewing. Of course, since I brew in the kitchen it doesn't make much sense. But now I suppose I have to think about starting a basement setup....

Sent via mobile

Online ynotbrusum

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Da mihi sis cerevisiam.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2014, 06:09:17 AM »
Best move I ever made was to install a Pex line to my garage - I hook it up manually to a slop sink in the basement and run either hot (for cleaning) or cold (for chilling) through the line.  A hose bib is the terminal end in the garage.  Makes cleaning a keggle and mash tun a snap!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2014, 06:59:15 AM »
Best move I ever made was to install a Pex line to my garage - I hook it up manually to a slop sink in the basement and run either hot (for cleaning) or cold (for chilling) through the line.  A hose bib is the terminal end in the garage.  Makes cleaning a keggle and mash tun a snap!

I'm having a sink with a hot/cold valve installed in my garage this Sunday. It's next to crazy to brew without a water source nearby. Luckily, my mom had been saving a 2'x5' SS wash basin and mixing valve for me (from when she used to process her own photographs, aka "the darkroom chemistry sink"). The valve has a tolerance of 1*F, totally unnecessary, but neat. I can't wait for it to be done so I can brew without pulling my hair out!
Amanda Burkemper
Kansas City Bier Meister; BJCP Master
Redbird Brewhouse - There's Always a Project
Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article