Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Conical Fermentors  (Read 4292 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Conical Fermentors
« on: January 12, 2014, 02:09:50 pm »
Looking at SS conical fermentors online  ;D and I'm curious how the home brewer using one of these regulates temps with them?

Offline harbicide

• Cellarman
  • Barkeeper's Friend will not passivate stainless.
Re: Conical Fermentors
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 02:16:00 pm »
My 27 gallon conical barely fits in a 14 cu. ft. upright freezer.  I did need to remove the door shelf molding in order to shut the door.  I use a transfer cart (seen in the photo) to roll the conical into the freezer.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 04:52:11 pm by harbicide »
On Tap: 10 yr old Barleywine, Porter, Vienna Lager

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 02:17:09 pm »
I am just setting up to do this.  I bought a freezer with a flat bottom and removable shelves.  My 7 gallon Stout Tanks conical fits perfectly.  In fact I'm having my daughter's boyfriend weld 5" extensions to the legs so I can dump yeast directly into an Erlenmeyer flask.  I'm going to drill a hole through the side for my dual stage controller temperature probe and a power cord for a heating wrap.  I don't think the wrap will fit elegantly around the conical but it will still provide heat.  I may get a narrow band for heating in the future though.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 02:19:05 pm »
Is glycol an option?

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 02:21:41 pm »

I use a commercial fridge (old True Manufacturing model used for soda display) to house my 15g conical. I'll be putting a little space heater in there for Belgians soon.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 02:22:19 pm »
Is glycol an option?

If you've got the money.  It's very expensive, and I've never seen a setup for 5 gallon batches.  Speidel has them for larger batches.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Conical Fermentors
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 02:33:03 pm »
Your picture looks oddly artistic Amanda. Kinda like it's a watercolor.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 03:21:21 pm by Steve in TX »

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 02:41:00 pm »
Your picture looks oddly artistic Amanda. Kinda like its a watercolor.

Haha. Camera phones are (of course) artsy! :))

I think it's the dual paned glass that's causing that. And the crappy camera phone...
Amanda Burkemper

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 02:43:58 pm »
What brand Plastic Conical are you running Amandak? Ive read bad things about certain brands and wondering how its working for you.

As for Conicals, i plan on making a fermentation chamber much like a walk in cooler.  it will be controlled by a Coolbot attached to a Window AC unit for cooling and a Heater.

http://www.storeitcold.com/

Still not a cheap option:)
Cheers,
Jeff
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 03:06:32 pm »
What brand Plastic Conical are you running Amandak? Ive read bad things about certain brands and wondering how its working for you.

As for Conicals, i plan on making a fermentation chamber much like a walk in cooler.  it will be controlled by a Coolbot attached to a Window AC unit for cooling and a Heater.

http://www.storeitcold.com/

Still not a cheap option:)
Cheers,
Jeff

It's an Ace Rotomold or something like that. I picked one up after several recommendations from other club members. After spending months comparing SS concials, I figured that I could replace the plastic conical 8-10 times before I made it to the cost of a SS conical. Most other people that have this set up use a plastic dump valve and siphoning source, but I went with SS fittings there because it seems like the area of greatest weakness for harboring buggies.

I also toyed with the idea of a walk in cooler (with window AC and Coolbot) but decided it wasn't right for me. Too expensive, too much space and not enough individual control over each fermenter.
Amanda Burkemper

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 03:19:09 pm »

It's an Ace Rotomold or something like that. I picked one up after several recommendations from other club members. After spending months comparing SS concials, I figured that I could replace the plastic conical 8-10 times before I made it to the cost of a SS conical. Most other people that have this set up use a plastic dump valve and siphoning source, but I went with SS fittings there because it seems like the area of greatest weakness for harboring buggies.

I also toyed with the idea of a walk in cooler (with window AC and Coolbot) but decided it wasn't right for me. Too expensive, too much space and not enough individual control over each fermenter.

Good to know, ill have to look into it.  Leos and Keith are trying to talk me into going plastic instead of SS.  Im seriously considering it because its obviously much cheaper, but ive heard from people that have purchased plastic conicals that have a LOT of issues.  YOu havent seen nay quality problems in any of your beers fermented in it?

Cheers,
Jeff
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 04:47:45 pm »

Mine's not nearly as pretty as Amanda's but under $200 including the $100 window AC.  I can ferment lagers in my 110F garage in the summer.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 06:12:36 pm »

Good to know, ill have to look into it.  Leos and Keith are trying to talk me into going plastic instead of SS.  Im seriously considering it because its obviously much cheaper, but ive heard from people that have purchased plastic conicals that have a LOT of issues.  YOu havent seen nay quality problems in any of your beers fermented in it?

Cheers,
Jeff

I just finished building it not too long ago, so I don't have a beer through it yet. So I don't have a status report on my own. However, 3 guys in my club use them for award winners, so there's that. ;)

What were the "lot of issues"?
Amanda Burkemper

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 06:32:02 pm »
um 3-4 threads in the last month.  All infection based from what i can only assume is porous plastic.  None your brand tho so im sure you will be good:)

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 06:43:53 pm »
I use an upright freezer with my Stout 14.5 gallon conical. 

The only real issues I have with a plastic conical are that you know it will need to be replaced one day... and they really don't have the resale value when you want to get rid of them.  I've seen this guy on craigslist trying to sell 2 of them for 3 years lol.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"