Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop schedule for late-hopped Southern Hemisphere ale  (Read 2546 times)

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
Hop schedule for late-hopped Southern Hemisphere ale
« on: December 23, 2013, 09:43:03 am »
So I'm looking to do this -- thoughts? The grain bill is 4 lbs MO, 8 oz Munich, 4 oz flaked barley, and 4 oz each 20L and 60L. Yeast is US-05. [Modified to note that this is a 2.5-gallon batch!]

0.50 oz               Motueka [7.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min         Hop           9        12.6 IBUs     
0.50 oz               Pacific Gem [15.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min    Hop           10       27.1 IBUs     
0.50 oz               Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min         Hop           11       18.5 IBUs     
0.50 oz               Motueka [7.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min         Hop           12       9.2 IBUs     
0.50 oz               Pacific Gem [15.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min    Hop           13       19.8 IBUs     
0.75 oz               Galaxy [14.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  0.0  Hop           14       0.0 IBUs     
0.75 oz               Motueka [7.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  0.0  Hop           15       0.0 IBUs     
0.75 oz               Pacific Gem [15.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  Hop           16       0.0 IBUs     
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 06:29:09 am by kgs »
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Hop schedule for late-hopped Southern Hemisphere ale
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 01:05:39 pm »
I'm not familiar with Pacific Gem, but otherwise it looks pretty good to me. My only suggestion is that Motueka can get overpowered by something like Galaxy. You might want to bump the amount of the Motueka additions a bit if you want an equal amount of Motueka character. If you're OK with it being more of an accent note, then it should be just fine where it is.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline mugwort

• Assistant Brewer
  • Baby T Aleworks
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 03:13:48 pm »
The organic PacGem I use is described by seller Seven Bridges (breworganic.com) as follows:  "Pacific Gem is a very high alpha hop with a pleasant citrus aroma good for bitters and dark beers. Some brewers have reported that Pacific Gem provides a subtle "blackberry" flavor/taste, which is a popular characteristic for English bitters and stouts. With its good clean bittering character, Pacific Gem is a good substitute for Magnum, Millenium, Nugget, or Columbus hops."

Up until recently I've only used it for FWH additions.  Just dry-hopped a 2.5 gal dark sour with an ounce of PacGem, which from the description should tie in well.
Baby T Aleworks | 100% Organic Abode-Crafted Ales | San Gabriel, CA | On tap...

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 07:09:25 pm »
Thanks-- I get a rebrew in a week or two and will keep these thoughts in mind. Galaxy had the most delicious fragrance!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 04:36:40 pm »
My favorite use for Pacific Gem is as a FWH. Brings out the woody/blackberry aroma, IMO.
Kyle M.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 06:31:51 am »
My favorite use for Pacific Gem is as a FWH. Brings out the woody/blackberry aroma, IMO.

If the beer calls for a bittering charge once I've tasted v.1, I could halve the first addition of Pacific Gem and move it to a FWH. I've done FWH in several brews and really like that approach.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 07:15:21 pm »

I am having a tester of this 7 days after bottling (I always bottle part of the batch in 6-oz splits) and for tomorrow's rebrew I'm torn between adding a touch of hops earlier and keeping it just as it is. That late hopping is something awesome and this blend of hops is ohhhh so yummy. This is one of those batches that makes up for a lot of bad batches, crazy brew days, and so on. "Yes, *I* made this!" It's a no-sparge, late-hopped pale ale with Southern Hemisphere hops and I'm calling it Weird Quirks.  ;)

(By the way, I know the Champaign area quite well - two stints at Chanute, and later a masters degree at UIUC!)
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 07:52:18 pm »
Wow. Sounds great!

A 7 day re-brew?  I admire your commitment to improvement.
Sounds like you may have a winner there.  Especially with the hop schedule.

While perhaps impractical at this point, you might consider swapping up the yeast choice.
For example, how would this beer be different if fermented with Wyeast 1450?

Food for thought. 
If it was myself, with tomorrow as brewday, I might consider replicating and making more of the goodness you have created.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 08:30:23 pm »
Wow. Sounds great!

A 7 day re-brew?  I admire your commitment to improvement.
Sounds like you may have a winner there.  Especially with the hop schedule.

While perhaps impractical at this point, you might consider swapping up the yeast choice.
For example, how would this beer be different if fermented with Wyeast 1450?

Food for thought. 
If it was myself, with tomorrow as brewday, I might consider replicating and making more of the goodness you have created.

Yes, I think I will keep it the same, as much as anyone can do that in a homebrew. I remember brewing Denny's RypePA about 5 times straight, 4 times with really good results. There's something pleasing about being able to replicate success.

I'd like to try Wyeast 1450 sometime. Not this time :-)
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member