Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First all grain wheat  (Read 1965 times)

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
First all grain wheat
« on: January 13, 2014, 12:59:10 pm »
So I wanted to post my recipe for my Wheat beer. I have done a good job I think. Going to put my mash steps on here. I think I am only going to be able to do a beta-glucan rest and a saccharification rest because I use a 10 gallon rubbermaid for my MLT. So here it is and if you have any advice let me know!

White Wheat (US) 6 lbs
Pilsner (US) 2 lbs
Munich (UK) 1.5 pounds
Hallertau 1.1 oz 30 min Alpha 4.5
Tettnanger .3 oz 15 min Alpha 4.5
Hallertau .3 oz 0 min Alpha 4.
Weihnstephan Wiezen Wyeast 3068

OG 1.050
FG 1.013
Primary 14 days

Mash steps Beta Glucan 20 minutes at 120F
saccharification rest 60 minutes at 152F

So I am pretty sure the recipe will work well but the Mash steps is where I fell sketchy. I can only do two which shouldn't be a problem. So If for the first mash step I did 10 quarts and then 10 for step two would I not have to do a sparge? Thanks for your help!

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: First all grain wheat
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 01:03:51 pm »
Is the white wheat malted or unmalted?
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 01:06:27 pm »
It looks pretty good. I don't usually do late hop additions in my hefe but if you like that go for it.

Unless you are fly sparging I would pick ~113 as my first rest to boost clove character in the finished beer rather than 120 protein rest. It'll get sticky with that much wheat but if you are batch sparging it doesn't really matter. You can just stir it up and start the runoff again. You could also add a lb or two of rice hulls to help with that.

I usually stick with 60% wheat 40% pils but if you want a slightly darker brew the munich should be nice. Is the wheat flaked, malted, or raw? If raw you might consider doing a cereal mash or otherwise cooking the raw wheat first because the gelentization temp of wheat is pretty high, right around 150 which makes it iffy on conversion at mash temps.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 01:27:23 pm »
The wheat is a really pale malted wheat from Belgium. So I will take your advice doing it at 113F instead of 120. Definitely after more clove notes.  Would it be better to step up the pilsner and maybe back off the Munich a little bit?

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 01:29:04 pm »
Also a little confused with the water to grain ratio for step mashing. I gonna try a calculator again but there is some stuff on it that I am not quite sure about yet

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 01:52:30 pm »
Also a little confused with the water to grain ratio for step mashing. I gonna try a calculator again but there is some stuff on it that I am not quite sure about yet

It's not a huge deal.  I have found every calculator I've ever tried unable to accurately predict temps and water amounts.  I'd recommend you mash in with 1-1.25 qt./lb.  After your low temp rest, stir in boiling water while you check the temp until you hit the temp you;re going for.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 02:28:09 pm »
The wheat is a really pale malted wheat from Belgium. So I will take your advice doing it at 113F instead of 120. Definitely after more clove notes.  Would it be better to step up the pilsner and maybe back off the Munich a little bit?

It's really a personal preference thing. I really like munich malt in a lot of beers but I also really like a simple yeast forward hefe. Given your yeast choice I'm guessing you do to. But I think you should brew what you think will be tasty. How does it match to your taste imagination? that's the big question with these early brews. If you only wanted to brew a 'perfect hefe' whatever that is, you could use someone else's recipe but you are headed out into the wild wooly world of creating your own taste imagination so brew it as you have it and see what happens.

If it's not totally what you want great! then you can brew more!

It's not a huge deal.  I have found every calculator I've ever tried unable to accurately predict temps and water amounts.  I'd recommend you mash in with 1-1.25 qt./lb.  After your low temp rest, stir in boiling water while you check the temp until you hit the temp you;re going for.

+1. As long as you can stir it and it doesn't come slopping out of your mashtun your good.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 03:20:36 pm »
Wheats are so simple. I would forgo the flavor and aroma additions. Keep it low IBU and start drinking it young. As in three weeks or less. Not a beer for conditioning in my opinion.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 03:39:27 pm »
+1 to drinking wheat beer young. Like 2 or 3 weeks.
Jon H.