Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Homebrew recipe for the masses  (Read 3987 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Homebrew recipe for the masses
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 05:06:43 pm »
Maybe I'll get wild and make a pale ale!

I've done exactly that for some special occasions it went over great every time.

If you keep the hop level in check and don't overdo it (as many homebrewers and newbie commercial micro brewers often do) it almost can't miss. Balance is the key to any beer, but especially a lighter tasting one like this. My standard for occasions such as this is usually OG 1.040 and 10 IBUs.

Just remember that without a lot of hops to hide behind, your sanitation will be especially important.

I once made a Wedding Veil Pale Ale for a friend's reception.  5 gallons were gone before any other beer.  If you can make a beer that tastes similar to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, even mass marketed beer drinkers will love it.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 05:15:59 pm »
Maybe I'll get wild and make a pale ale!

I've done exactly that for some special occasions it went over great every time.

If you keep the hop level in check and don't overdo it (as many homebrewers and newbie commercial micro brewers often do) it almost can't miss. Balance is the key to any beer, but especially a lighter tasting one like this. My standard for occasions such as this is usually OG 1.040 and 10 IBUs.

Just remember that without a lot of hops to hide behind, your sanitation will be especially important.

I once made a Wedding Veil Pale Ale for a friend's reception.  5 gallons were gone before any other beer.  If you can make a beer that tastes similar to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, even mass marketed beer drinkers will love it.

+1.  My gateway beers for BMC drinkers have been pale ales every bit as much as kolsch and cream ales.
Jon H.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 07:11:31 pm »
Remember, to the uneducated beer drinker, color = heaviness.  Id go with Dennys brews.  Itlls taste good and should be nice and light.  Your BMC friends will love how full of flavor a proper beer is.

2cents
Jeff
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 07:52:08 pm »
Perhaps a brown ale?

This is what I generally brew for the masses. I want to distinguish my homebrew from the usual BMC fare. A low-gravity brown can be quite flavorful without being heavy. And it's not as intimidating as something like a stout or porter for the uninitiated.

At my son's birthday party last summer I served my table-strength saison, a hoppy pale lager, and my oatmeal brown ale. The brown was gone in no time, the lager had a few fans, while my best friend's wife and I had the saison all to ourselves.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 08:18:51 am »
Is there going to be any other beer in bottles or on tap?

One issue you get with BMC drinkers is even when they like your homebrew/craft beer they tend to get "overwhelmed" by the flavor after one or two. If there is a BMC beer available that they can switch back and forth between then that would give you the opportunity to brew a beer with more flavor and let people switch as necessary. I would still stay away from anything dark or anything with bitterness over 25-30 IBU.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
Dan S. from NJ