General Category > Extract/Partial Mash Brewing

Extract boil volume

(1/2) > >>

flbrewer:
Based on another thread I posted, I have a question about full boil volume. On my last 5 gallon batch (5 gallons full boil) I noted that I added just shy of a gallon back into the final volume.

-Should I try to full boil ~ 6 gallons next time?

-How important is the intensity of the boil? I currently do a boil that is closer to not boiling vs a rolling boil. Is there a preferred temp to focus on?

Jimmy K:
If you have space in your kettle for 6 gallons, go for the full boil. You want a boil that breaks the surface of the wort. A full boil helps coagulate proteins, drive away off flavors, and more. It doesn't need to boil violently though. I don't think you can judge boil intensity by temperature though.

- Sent by my R2 unit

Jeff M:

--- Quote from: mtnrockhopper on January 14, 2014, 05:50:10 AM ---If you have space in your kettle for 6 gallons, go for the full boil. You want a boil that breaks the surface of the wort. A full boil helps coagulate proteins, drive away off flavors, and more. It doesn't need to boil violently though. I don't think you can judge boil intensity by temperature though.

- Sent by my R2 unit

--- End quote ---

If i remember correctly, in an extract boil most the things that mtnrockhopper listed have already been taken care of by the extract producer.  Id still get a full boil for hop utilization either way.

Jimmy K:
Oh yes, on to my coffee now

- Sent by my R2 unit

klickitat jim:
It should be enough of a boil to call it a boil, not simmer. If the surface is flat and still with little bubbles surfacing that's a simmer. You should see some shape on the surface and a rolling action to anything in the boil. Like hops flowing around...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version