Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Simple no-lift brewing. Or how I saved my back.  (Read 11345 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Simple no-lift brewing. Or how I saved my back.
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 01:46:52 pm »
Great info and insight. Had not realized the limits of the height it could lift. Wasn't about to buy right now anyways, but still good to know
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2016, 03:33:07 pm »
Thanks for the link on the lower price!

I was figuring a simple wood frame about 21" tall because 50" is right at kettle-rim height and it works below the kettle-spigot as well.

Was considering how to justify pulling the trigger... ??? The Harbor Freight jobbie actually looks like it'll do the trick and the price is right! Have one down the street so perhaps a carefully thought out impulse-buy for brewday later this week! ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2016, 10:29:16 pm »
Thanks for the link on the lower price!

I was figuring a simple wood frame about 21" tall because 50" is right at kettle-rim height and it works below the kettle-spigot as well.

Was considering how to justify pulling the trigger... ??? The Harbor Freight jobbie actually looks like it'll do the trick and the price is right! Have one down the street so perhaps a carefully thought out impulse-buy for brewday later this week! ;D
That would be ideal if you've got a HFT nearby that has one in stock so that you can take measurements and figure out if it will work for you.  Let us know how it goes.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2016, 09:49:37 am »
aaaarggh!

I measured my brewery more exactingly and the lift(s) won't work. Going by the minimum height required (tun height+frame height+ table min. height) to be just below the kettle spigot leaves me 9" shy on the maximum height side. The 1000# table goes higher but there's still an ultimate deficit of 4".

This would either require me to chock the tun up to compensate after filling; or make a major change to how and where I fire my kettle(s)! :(

I'm not keen on having to lift each end of a sloshing cooler full of very heavy hot water/mash to slide the 9" chocks in even if I did it in careful jenga-like increments.

Luckily, the march-pump sticky might have solved my pump orientation and performance issues.

I already have it so no cap-ex though the table lift on wheels is such an elegant solution to more than one problem. Starting out, a very simple and efficient gravity system could be designed around one or two of these tables. The multitasking ability to transport/lift the fermenters, kegs, grain etc is promising.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2016, 10:23:39 am »
aaaarggh!

I measured my brewery more exactingly and the lift(s) won't work. Going by the minimum height required (tun height+frame height+ table min. height) to be just below the kettle spigot leaves me 9" shy on the maximum height side. The 1000# table goes higher but there's still an ultimate deficit of 4".

This would either require me to chock the tun up to compensate after filling; or make a major change to how and where I fire my kettle(s)! :(

I'm not keen on having to lift each end of a sloshing cooler full of very heavy hot water/mash to slide the 9" chocks in even if I did it in careful jenga-like increments.

Luckily, the march-pump sticky might have solved my pump orientation and performance issues.

I already have it so no cap-ex though the table lift on wheels is such an elegant solution to more than one problem. Starting out, a very simple and efficient gravity system could be designed around one or two of these tables. The multitasking ability to transport/lift the fermenters, kegs, grain etc is promising.
Or, you could do what I did and let a $145 SS Chugger pump do ALL the lifting.  Your burner can be at floor level.
(A copy and paste from my original post):
...batch sparge folks could maybe use this same kettle and pump set-up.  Put your mash tun on a table such that it will drain into the kettle.  Put a smaller(?) cooler on a stool on the table (or a shelf) such that it will drain into the tun.  Heat mash water and pump it into the tun.  Then heat sparge water and pump into the upper cooler.  Drain first runnings into the kettle.  Then drain sparge water into the tun.
 One kettle and one burner and no lifting!

I went a little fancy and have a tee on the pump outlet to a recirc/whirlpool port on my kettle.  But a simpler setup would be a long enough length of 1/2" ID silicone tubing on the pump outlet with a length of 1/2" OD copper tube bent in a U attached to the end of the silicone tube.  You can now hang the U in the kettle for recirc, hang it in your tun to pump in mash water, hang it in your sparge water container and ulitmately hang it in your fermenter to pump finished wort.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2016, 10:46:48 am »
The hotside of Brauerei euge is about as basic as it can get except there is some lifting of the grain. The kettles are 80 and 40 quarts. I like to brew in AC and in the kitchen so an efficient hot stove and high power vent-hood is the heart of the setup.

I also have the option to brew outside or in the garage with a couple of hungry NG ring-burners. If I return to that setup the cart will be the critical component. That'll eliminate a lot of lifting and carrying.

I'll share a pic...

« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 03:44:06 pm by euge »

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2016, 08:59:40 am »
The hotside of Brauerei euge is about as basic as it can get except there is some lifting of the grain. The kettles are 80 and 40 quarts. I like to brew in AC and in the kitchen so an efficient hot stove and high power vent-hood is the heart of the setup.

I also have the option to brew outside or in the garage with a couple of hungry NG ring-burners. If I return to that setup the cart will be the critical component. That'll eliminate a lot of lifting and carrying.

I'll share a pic...

I don't see the pic, but I think I understand.

Have you seen this "brew elevator" over in Pimp My System?  https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=24903.0  Cool approach to the problem especially if the whole thing was on casters.  I wonder if whoever made that would make another?

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2016, 09:38:08 am »
Hmm I can see the pic and it even carried over with the quote. ??? I use google photos as a host so I'll post a link. https://goo.gl/photos/VuYnDntaNUVEQjLq5

I like the elevator in that thread. Elegant solution.

Thought about the lift table again. The frame needed to hold the cooler could have a simple auto scissor jack built in, so that at max table height the cooler could then be lifted an addition 10+ inches.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2016, 02:12:51 pm »
Hmm I can see the pic and it even carried over with the quote. ??? I use google photos as a host so I'll post a link. https://goo.gl/photos/VuYnDntaNUVEQjLq5

I like the elevator in that thread. Elegant solution.

Thought about the lift table again. The frame needed to hold the cooler could have a simple auto scissor jack built in, so that at max table height the cooler could then be lifted an addition 10+ inches.
Yes, that would work.  You would want something like parallelogram linkage (see photo) to keep it level while raising.  The framework and linkage would be easy to make out of 2 X 2s and plywood.  Incorporate a scissor jack, slap on some paint and you're good.  You will want to experiment a bit with the jack to find the best location.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2016, 03:39:09 pm »
Love the design! Would the forward travel be enough to make it unbalanced center of gravity-wise?

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2016, 09:25:46 am »
Love the design! Would the forward travel be enough to make it unbalanced center of gravity-wise?
Should not be, but if it is, just turn the wood frame around and have it raise toward the cart handle.   (I assume you are concerned about the balance of the hydraulic cart plus the raised wooden framework with mash tun on top.)

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2016, 09:31:51 am »
We don't want "tippy" added to the equation... ;D

Offline piersonm

• 1st Kit
  • Dont judge a beer by its color.
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2016, 12:13:38 pm »
What material are you using for the bag?
He who buys good ale buys nothing else.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2016, 10:16:08 pm »
What material are you using for the bag?
Bought it online from The Brew Bag.
http://www.brewinabag.com/#a_aid=brulosophy

Good folks to deal with.  Quality stuff and good customer service.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 10:18:39 pm by Philbrew »