Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chest freezer concern  (Read 10062 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Chest freezer concern
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 12:00:02 pm »
I pulled a tricep muscle a couple of years ago by pulling a fermenter out of a chest freezer. It took quite a while to heal, so I can relate to this concern. If you're going to go the chest freezer route, then practice proper lifting and pulling techniques to avoid potential injury. A hoist or pulley system is a great idea and a back saver for sure.

If the concern is hurting yourself (as opposed to avoiding aggravating an existing injury) just doin git correctly is the best bet. If the desire is for an easier way I like the big fermenter that you fill in place and use pressure to empty. I have an old fridge so it's not an issue for me but if I get a big speidel I'll likely have to figure something out. I'm a strong guy and can probably 'easily' handle 80-100 lbs of wort but getting it out and up onto a counter to fill kegs with a siphon would still be a challenge.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2014, 12:54:58 pm »
I grab better bottles by their necks and lift. Strong grip, but it can't be good for my shoulder.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2014, 01:57:11 pm »
Go big or go home.   8)

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_120327_120327

The lazy way out.  I would probably do something like this in a few years as the beer gets heavier.   ;D

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2014, 02:31:22 pm »
I have no issues with just a Brew Hauler. Although I'm so paranoid it will unclip I quadruple-check the fasteners before lifing.

I'm way too much of a nervous Nelly to use a pulley system.

Yeah, so do I. Then I put the buckle towards my in case it accidentally pops.  Really, if you balance out the straps evenly it should not end catastrophically if the buckle did come undone. Not that I plan on testing that theory.  ::)
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 02:47:25 pm »
Or get more exercise.

I'm sorry, this post was a bit snarky.  I'm a big guy and have no trouble lifting kegs in and out of my chest freezer, but it would be more difficult with carboys or buckets.  If it came down to it I'd most likely use siphons or pumps as most people have already posted.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2014, 05:37:09 pm »
Or get more exercise.

I'm sorry, this post was a bit snarky.  I'm a big guy and have no trouble lifting kegs in and out of my chest freezer, but it would be more difficult with carboys or buckets.  If it came down to it I'd most likely use siphons or pumps as most people have already posted.

+1.  We are Homebrewers. We are have ingenuity bred into us by necessity;)
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2014, 06:05:33 pm »
If the concern is hurting yourself (as opposed to avoiding aggravating an existing injury) just doin git correctly is the best bet.
I would argue that it's impossible to lift a carboy in and out of a chest freezer correctly. The wall prevents you from getting it close to your body or using your legs.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline fyouberg

• 1st Kit
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2014, 07:04:11 pm »
Like to add that I built a shelf in each of my 7cu freezers so that the buckets are off the bottom and I don't have to bend over very far.
This is a good common sense suggestion. Thanks. I don't get the suggestions for an upright freezer. All the ones I've seen have the coils as integral parts of the shelves. No room to accommodate a 5 g carboy.  Upright refrigerators yes. Is there any reason to consider a freezer superior to a refrigerator? We don't actually ever take fermentation down to 0 degrees do we?
If your yeast is happy, it can't help but be a good day.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2014, 07:19:04 pm »

Is there any reason to consider a freezer superior to a refrigerator? We don't actually ever take fermentation down to 0 degrees do we?

I crash at 32° often. Some argue that freezers are more efficient due to thicker insulation. Compared to chest freezers, upright freezers are expensive new. That said, my next ferm fridge will be an upright.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2014, 08:34:55 pm »
Also, with an upright fridge/freezer every one opens the door the cold air flows out. So it'll cost a bit more in kW. I can see placing a carboy or bucket into an upright just as or more awkward to handle and dangerous to the back as a chest freezer.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2014, 08:56:07 pm »
If you are putting carboys into the chest freezer then get an orange carboy cap which has two holes. You can put a racking cane in the big hole and add co2 through the little hole and the beer will flow out through the racking can into a keg, secondary or bottle. This way you don't have to lift the full carboy out of the freezer which can be pretty tough.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2014, 09:10:59 pm »
Also, with an upright fridge/freezer every one opens the door the cold air flows out. So it'll cost a bit more in kW. I can see placing a carboy or bucket into an upright just as or more awkward to handle and dangerous to the back as a chest freezer.

I have no desire to argue, but I think it would be much easier to get a carboy or conical in and out of an upright than a chest freezer.  There is no wall to lift it over, and you can snuggle right up against whatever you are lifting.  Additionally the bottom of an upright is a foot-plus off the floor height already, so one would just have to grab, slide it out and set it down.

I intend to pump into the conical in my upright, then gravity drain it into a keg.  No heavy lifting needed.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 09:12:33 pm by yso191 »
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2014, 09:55:10 pm »
I think a conical indeed would be easier. A heavy glass carboy no- unless it was in a crate. I just think picking up something heavy then extending the weight forwards seems hazardous to the back. Especially while crouching. Anyway, pushing something instead of heaving forwards would be better.

I had considered putting wheels on my freezers and rolling them around. Can a conical of decent size even fit inside a chest freezer?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2014, 03:58:51 am »
Other than the obvious difference, there's an invisible difference. Uprights spill all the cold air when you open. Chests not so much

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2014, 05:43:05 am »
If everyone is so concerned with the chest freezer vs back thing, why not use wine coolers for each fermenter?

I have three of those for fermenting and can control each fermenter individually.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article