Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Classic American Pilsner  (Read 10505 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Classic American Pilsner
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 10:54:51 am »
Full Sail's Session is a pretty good example, IMHO.

http://www.fullsailbrewing.com/session-lager.cfm

It is a good beer, but I don't think it's hoppy enough for a true CAP.

This is one of the many reasons I'm looking forward to the guideline update. "Medium to high hop aroma/flavor/bitterness" leaves a lot to be interpreted if you don't have a classic example. I brew a CAP with 6 oz of Saaz - usual comments are 'not hoppy enough', whatever that means. I might just enter a Prima Pils type German Pils as a CAP and see if that's hoppy enough! HA!

Amanda, I'd be in the same quandary if I hadn't tasted Jeff Renner's and a couple other versions influenced by him.  Maybe try Cluster and see if you get better comments.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 12:41:56 pm »
I hear what you all are saying,  but I am skeptical about style guidelines applied to a historic style that no one has ever tasted.

I have a hard time believing that our grandparents and great grandparents went from being super hothead to swill drinkers during the 15 year course of Prohibition.

I recall reading an article once on historic IPAd, that instead of being hop bombs, they were probably of moderate bitterness,  as the hops were not so bitter. I would suspect that to be true of CAPs.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 01:00:10 pm »
I hear what you all are saying,  but I am skeptical about style guidelines applied to a historic style that no one has ever tasted.

I have a hard time believing that our grandparents and great grandparents went from being super hothead to swill drinkers during the 15 year course of Prohibition.

I recall reading an article once on historic IPAd, that instead of being hop bombs, they were probably of moderate bitterness,  as the hops were not so bitter. I would suspect that to be true of CAPs.

May very well be, Chumley.  What I recall of Jeff R's version is an assertive but not "slap you in the face" bitterness.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014, 01:11:47 pm »
I don't think they drank anything approaching the hop levels of todays beers. Nobody was making hops bombs because hops were expensive (they still are).  But the lessening of flavor started long before prohibition too. Refrigeration probably freed brewers to use less hops because they depended on preservative qualities a little less.  CAP probably had bitterness similar to a german pilsner because it was german immigrant brewers who came here and tried to brew the beers they knew with local ingredients.

IPA is nothing like it was either. It doesn't sit in casks in the bottom of a ship for six months before being drunk.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2014, 01:17:00 pm »

Jeff's CAP instantly reminded me of the beers my dad would drink when I was a kid and sneaked sips a long time ago.

I think something along the line of an assertive German Pils is the right way to look at it, but with the American ingredients.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2014, 01:19:28 pm »
I don't think they drank anything approaching the hop levels of todays beers. Nobody was making hops bombs because hops were expensive (they still are).  But the lessening of flavor started long before prohibition too. Refrigeration probably freed brewers to use less hops because they depended on preservative qualities a little less.  CAP probably had bitterness similar to a german pilsner because it was german immigrant brewers who came here and tried to brew the beers they knew with local ingredients.

IPA is nothing like it was either. It doesn't sit in casks in the bottom of a ship for six months before being drunk.

+1.  The German Pils comparison makes good sense.
Jon H.

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2014, 01:32:45 pm »
I would suspect that the bitterness was adjusted to compliment the corn flavors.
Reinheitsgebot sagt mais ist verboten.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2014, 02:09:32 pm »
Amanda, I'd be in the same quandary if I hadn't tasted Jeff Renner's and a couple other versions influenced by him.  Maybe try Cluster and see if you get better comments.

Denny, that'd be like suggesting that you should use a bit of Fuggles in your wort.  ;D  Cluster is naaasty (read in Cleveland's voice) in my world.

Continuing on the good discussion though, anyone care to post Renner's CAP recipe?
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Stevie

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2014, 02:27:04 pm »
Continuing on the good discussion though, anyone care to post Renner's CAP recipe?

http://morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/library/backissues/issue3.5/renner.html

The formatting is funny, but there is a recipe in there. 80/20 6-row/flaked corn.

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2014, 02:47:17 pm »

Denny, that'd be like suggesting that you should use a bit of Fuggles in your wort.  ;D  Cluster is naaasty (read in Cleveland's voice) in my world.

Amanda I just happen to be bringing a fresh CAP to the meeting Friday, will be interesting to see if a Cap can be "good" without some cluster harshness.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Offline Stevie

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2014, 03:30:57 pm »
Denny, you being the godfather of batch sparging, how would you handle Jeff's mash schedule?

30 min @ 122
15 min @ 140
40 min @ 158
10 min @ mashout

Personally I hate step mashes in a cooler. Carrying boiling water isn't my cup of tea. Single infusion at 150-151?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2014, 03:42:18 pm »
Full Sail's Session is a pretty good example, IMHO.

http://www.fullsailbrewing.com/session-lager.cfm

It is a good beer, but I don't think it's hoppy enough for a true CAP.

It's the top example of 1c, but I'll bet they'd like to be #1 in 2c also.

Nevertheless,  my question stands... having no commercial example in this style is really testing my OCD.

Since the style calls for native American hops, which there is no such thing, their native to China if memory serves, maybe this is a mythical beer and that's why a commercial version doesn't exist.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2014, 04:14:26 pm »

I will have to get his current one off of the old laptop. It uses Cluster, which I think is not bad at all if it is fresh. You may perceive it different from me. Some don't like Fuggles, I detest Nelson Sauvin. We all have different tastes.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2014, 05:04:15 pm »
I did well at comps with this one.
http://carboyclub.com/recipes/cap1.htm
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline gmwren

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2014, 07:27:46 pm »
I like my Pre Prohibition CAP with 40/40/20 pils/six row/flaked corn. I usually FWH Sterling and a late addition with Saaz and or Sterling. Not too much hop aroma, just a tickle. This is my go to summer beer when the IPA is just too much.