Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hydrating US-05  (Read 28551 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Hydrating US-05
« on: January 15, 2014, 08:18:34 am »
I have a couple packets of this that I'm going to use for a brew on Saturday.  My neighbour wants to make a light coloured but higher alcohol beer for his 21 yr old brothers B-day (which is no big deal here where the drinking age is 19).
I'm gonna do a 10 gal batch using:
20 lbs Pils
5 lbs Minute Rice
1 lb White table sugar.
Should run about 1.072.  This is NOT my choice but I'm doing a favour for a friend.

I'm gonna split the brew in 1/2 with 5 gals getting a big pitch of WLP007 and I have the US-05 that I was gonna try in the other half.  Should I hydrate the yeast or just pitch both packets dry.  I would like to hydrate but is it as easy as pitching the yeast onto some distilled water?  Please let me know what you think would be best route for 5 gals of 1.072 wort with US-05.
Thanks

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Hydrating US-05
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 08:24:46 am »
It is easy to rehydrate. Sprinkle dry yeast onto 10 times the amount of water by weight (11g yeast into 110g water, which is 110mL, which is almost 1/2 cup. Water should be 90-100F. Let sit for 15 minutes. Stir into a slurry and pitch. If there is a huge temperature difference between the yeast and wort you might want to temper the yeast by adding small amounts of wort.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Stevie

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 08:25:54 am »
I do both rehydrated and not rehydrated. When I rehydrate I just microwave filtered water for a few minutes and cover with plastic wrap. Wait an hour and add yeast.

Step by step instructions were recently posted on the aha main page.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 09:09:38 am by Steve in TX »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 08:31:49 am »
It is easy to rehydrate. Sprinkle dry yeast onto 10 times the amount of water by weight (11g yeast into 110g water, which is 110mL, which is almost 1/2 cup. Water should be 90-100F. Let sit for 15 minutes. Stir into a slurry and pitch. If there is a huge temperature difference between the yeast and wort you might want to temper the yeast by adding small amounts of wort.

Or a little go-ferm.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 08:39:18 am »
There is no magic. Just add the yeast to a clean water source.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 12:19:32 pm »
There is no magic. Just add the yeast to a clean water source.
+1
Just rehydrate while cleaning, chilling, or any other end of the brewing process. Cover with a little plastic wrap or foil and pitch when ready within an hour or so. Not sure how long it can sit, but I go up to an hour at times.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 12:38:51 pm »
I vote for sprinkle without hydrating. I've tried both ways, and my sprinkle batches are every bit as good as my hydrated ones. I've stopped hydrating for simplicity's sake.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 01:08:40 pm »
I vote for sprinkle without hydrating. I've tried both ways, and my sprinkle batches are every bit as good as my hydrated ones. I've stopped hydrating for simplicity's sake.

+1  Although now I've started using liquid yeast, making starters, and rinsing and reusing yeast...so simplicity went out the window a while back.
Trey W.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 02:22:52 pm »

Hydrating is pretty damn simple, IME.  I typically hydrate, but I've done it both ways with good results.

It's easy enough to set aside a small glass of water with the yeast in it while the wort cools.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 03:46:15 pm »
According to Zainasheff about half of your dry yeast will die if you sprinkle dry without rehydration.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 03:55:39 pm »
According to Zainasheff about half of your dry yeast will die if you sprinkle dry without rehydration.

That's the common wisdom but there are so many instances of people testing side by side with sensory analysis and not tasting any difference it begins to make one wonder.

That being said it is an awfully easy procedure and hardly seems like a big deal to do.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 04:29:51 pm »
I agree it is an easy step to take to rehydrate. But, thing is, the first couple dozen times I used it I just sprinkled on top - I had good results, good attenuation, etc. So there was a baseline to compare to. The next several times I rehydrated and could literally tell no difference in attenuation, lag time, or beer quality. Undoubtedly on a cellular level it make sense to rehydrate, no arguments. Just can't look back and pick a time when I saw any difference whatsoever, or I'd damn sure be doing it . Having said all this, I prefer 1056 when there's time to make a starter. I use S-05 for spur of the moment American styles brewing.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 04:33:54 pm »
I remember JZ saying that higher gravity worts were particularly harder on the yeast if you don't rehydrate. Think of it as drinking ice cream through a straw versus a milk shake.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 04:45:39 pm »

It's a good thing I'm making beer and not yeast!

I definitely trust Jamil when it comes to yeast, but in the end it's the beer that really matters, not how much yeast I've grown. For the beers I've made I just haven't noticed any Ill effects from sprinkling.

Regardless, I think everyone should try it for themselves. There's nothing wrong with rehydrating, I've just got no need for it myself.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 06:43:39 pm »
Which is why I add 2 packets.  Still cheaper than one vial of liquid.  I usually only do it when I'm feeling lazy, so pretty much all the time. :-D

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------