Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast 2565 Kolsch  (Read 14751 times)

Offline duxx

• Cellarman
  • Good Karma Brewing, Warrensburg, MO
Re: Wyeast 2565 Kolsch
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2013, 03:19:51 pm »
Right. I assumed that is the case but 1007 is still appropriate for the Kolsch style correct?

I use WY 1007 for my kolsch all the time.  I also use it for my Dusseldorf Alt and even for American Wheat.  I think it makes a great kolsch.  As others have said Wyeast kolsch 1 & 2 both have very distinctive flavors.  WY 1007 is much more neutral, which I like better.  BTW, I have done very well in competitions with the 1007 Kolsch, and I haven't been marked down by judges for using it.
"Tan and lean like a longneck bottle."  Zac Brown Band.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2013, 03:55:30 pm »
My LHBS does not have 2565 but I can get 1007 - German Ale. Any input about how this stacks up against 2565? Looks like it should reasonably similar and should work well for a Kolsch.

You can use it but it is not the same. Kolsch yeast has a specific flavor profile that wy1007 doesn't have.

Right. I assumed that is the case but 1007 is still appropriate for the Kolsch style correct? They do have WLP029 so I suppose I should use that. I prefer Wyeast to White Labs when possible...

My opinion is, if you want to brew kolsch use kolsch yeast. If you tell a brewer in Dusseldorf that you are using his yeast to brew a kolsch there's a good possibility he will throw you out of his brewery. ;)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2013, 04:06:13 pm »
Right. I assumed that is the case but 1007 is still appropriate for the Kolsch style correct?

I use WY 1007 for my kolsch all the time.  I also use it for my Dusseldorf Alt and even for American Wheat.  I think it makes a great kolsch.  As others have said Wyeast kolsch 1 & 2 both have very distinctive flavors.  WY 1007 is much more neutral, which I like better.  BTW, I have done very well in competitions with the 1007 Kolsch, and I haven't been marked down by judges for using it.

Thanks for the input. Kolsch is one of my favorite commercial styles but I have never brewed one. Wyeast's site recommends 1007 for Kolsch so I assumed it wouldn't be an issue. What temp do you normally ferment at?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2013, 07:25:07 am »
WY1007 needs be fermented near lager temps for best results. 56-58 degrees (even as cool as 54). It tends to throw some odd flavors otherwise.

WLP029 is a very nice kolsch yeast that will give you a more true kolsch flavor. It is a little easier to work with than the Wyeast kolsch yeast (2656) as it drops clearer with out as much effort though perhaps the 2656 has  more "wine-like" character which I associate with a good kolsch yeast. Both WY and WL kolsch strains ferment well in high 50's/low 60's.

Wy1007 is very close to lager flavor and will not contribute this "kolschy" flavor to the beer. That said, it is very easy to get to drop clear. I use Wy1007 about 1-2 times a week and it is a very nice strain. Out of any ale strain WY1007 is the closest to a "lagerish" flavor. It is extremely clean.

With any of the three strains you will most likely need to filter or fine to get the beer to drop brilliantly clear. The photo in my avatar is of a kolsch brewed with WLP029 and fined with gelatin. For Wy1007 biofine clear A3 is extremely effective. Cold and time will work but I have always found that fining is a must if you want to turn around in a decent time.

Cologne and Dusseldorf have a pretty good rivalry over Alt and Kolsch about which one is better. I agree you can make a decent kolsch with an Alt yeast but the little German boy in me still wants to scream "NO!" ;)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 08:28:20 am by majorvices »

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2013, 09:23:56 am »
Thank you...this is very helpful.

I am leaning toward using WLP029 for this batch and doing a future batch with 2565 for comparison. White Labs shows 65-69 for optimum fermentation temp which I thought was a bit high. It also notes not to drop below 62. From your experience it sounds like if I stick around 60F I should be okay?

EDIT: For WLP029, people can experience problems under 16C, so we recommend that temperature, but many do ferment cooler. You just have to be more careful and keep an eye on the fermentation. With 029, you don’t need to ferment that cool anyway to get the clean flavors, you can cool it during fermentation if you like, but I wouldn’t the first time and see what you think.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 09:28:12 am by goschman »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2013, 10:11:24 am »
Yeah, I forgot to mention something very important about wlp029 - it can stall if the temp is under 62 near the end. But as long as you pitch enough healthy yeast you will find this strain does very well at 58-60 for the first couple of days. Then be sure to raise up to 64, then even as high as 68 near very end to finish. Be sure to pitch plenty of healthy yeast.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2013, 12:04:53 pm »
Yeah, I forgot to mention something very important about wlp029 - it can stall if the temp is under 62 near the end. But as long as you pitch enough healthy yeast you will find this strain does very well at 58-60 for the first couple of days. Then be sure to raise up to 64, then even as high as 68 near very end to finish. Be sure to pitch plenty of healthy yeast.

Major gives good advice on kolsch. I follow it pretty closely and turn out a darn fine kolsch.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2013, 02:27:17 pm »
Got around to brewing this today and everything went very well for the most part. Undershot my gravity a bit due to a larger post boil volume.

Thanks for all of the input. I ended up using the WLP029 and pitched at 64F. The fermenter is sitting in the 50F garage so I will bring it in after it drops closer to 60 and slowly raise it above 64F in the coming days.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2014, 12:05:44 pm »
WLP029 attenuated 84.8% to finish at 1.007 which is a lot more than I was expecting. Got a 5.4% ABV Kolsch on my hands. I mashed at 149 for 75 minutes. Next attempt, I will probably bring up the mash temp to 152 and possibly reduce the grain by half a pound.

Other than having too much alcohol, the beer tastes great and the balance actually may be appropriate (which doesn't happen often in my frankenstein beers)

Offline bhanson

• 1st Kit
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2014, 07:08:47 pm »
I've used the WLP029 strain a couple of times for a Kolsch and it's great.

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2014, 08:26:43 am »
White Labs WLP029, my favorite for Kolsch. Using it in an Alt right now. If you can cool your wort to around 62*(Ice bath?) when you pitch, then let it warm up to 68*. fermentation is done in like 3 or 4 days. a very clean strain IMO.
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2014, 09:14:28 am »
White Labs WLP029, my favorite for Kolsch. Using it in an Alt right now. If you can cool your wort to around 62*(Ice bath?) when you pitch, then let it warm up to 68*. fermentation is done in like 3 or 4 days. a very clean strain IMO.

That is pretty much exactly what I did though it was more of a coincidence than on purpose.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2014, 06:16:14 pm »
029 is great.  I made a bunch of beers with it.  All Kolschs, but you can make a regular Kolsch, a honey Kolsch, a lemon Kolsch, a honey lemon Kolsch, etc....

One of my earliest favorites in homebrewing.  I love it when my friend brings over the barber poles (Fruh) that he picks up when he travels to Germany.  Really great style and definitely a gateway homebrew for the BMC crowd.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2014, 06:51:28 pm »

Really great style and definitely a gateway homebrew for the BMC crowd.

+1.  I love to see the look on a swill drinker's face go from skepticism to shock to a smile when they try their first Kolsch or APA. 
Jon H.

Offline bhanson

• 1st Kit
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2014, 06:12:03 pm »
I've used WLP029 with very good results.  There's a distinct flavor profile that I associate with a Kolsch, and this is it. If specifically making a Kolsch, I'd favor it over WY1007 for sure, although that would also make a nice beer from the same grain bill.