Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Kegging Attempt - Pressures?  (Read 5090 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: First Kegging Attempt - Pressures?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 01:53:34 pm »
For me kegging is an advantage to me to do with as I see fit... Just like other aspects to the hobby there are multiple ways to carbonate one's keg.

My preference is to sugar-prime much as I would bottles. Normally, for a regular type beer with regular volumes and depending at what max temp it was fermented at- I'll use about 3oz of sugar or more depending on desired volumes. Let it sit for a few days if the brew is a hefeweizen or around a couple weeks for other beers.

According to popular premisconception this practice would result in cloudy beer. It simply doesn't. Some would state that the use of a keg cries for or demands that it be carbonated from an outside source and priming a keg this way defeats the purpose in using them. For me a keg is just a giant bottle. I never keep my kegs hooked up to a co2 tank because of my practices and save a lot on gas that way.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 01:59:05 pm »
For me kegging is an advantage to me to do with as I see fit... Just like other aspects to the hobby there are multiple ways to carbonate one's keg.

My preference is to sugar-prime much as I would bottles. Normally, for a regular type beer with regular volumes and depending at what max temp it was fermented at- I'll use about 3oz of sugar or more depending on desired volumes. Let it sit for a few days if the brew is a hefeweizen or around a couple weeks for other beers.

According to popular premisconception this practice would result in cloudy beer. It simply doesn't. Some would state that the use of a keg cries for or demands that it be carbonated from an outside source and priming a keg this way defeats the purpose in using them. For me a keg is just a giant bottle. I never keep my kegs hooked up to a co2 tank because of my practices and save a lot on gas that way.

If I had more kegs and more time to brew I would sugar prime my kegs every time. as it is I only have the opportunity when I am filling both my kegs at the same time either with the same beer or one beer that wants to wait around before being tapped.

Besides saving bottled co2, it means you can have a smaller keg serving system because your only adding canned co2 to those kegs that are actively serving. you also only have to chill those kegs that are actively serving or on deck.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 03:31:35 pm »

Do you hit it with pressure to seat the lid?

As far as using less CO2, I find that it's relatively cheap anyway.  It's certainly a pain to go get refills though.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 09:24:10 pm »
Yes I do. Didn't think it made a difference but now I think it does after forgetting to a couple times.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 11:25:13 pm »
Proper CO2 and dropping of yeast is vital to the overall beer. I think it's a shame to rush things. Most people wait till the weekend to brew, then wait for fermentation to finish, why not wait just a little more and be rewarded?

My post was strictly related to carbonation being done. My beers are conditioned and drinkable after  3-5 weeks in the keg. That being said I serve a pint at 1 wk, 2 wks, 3 wks, ... until the beer is ready. Mine usually taste yeasty for several weeks. Then the goodness comes.

I'm on your side.

Recently I carbed two kegs in my kegerator for a week specifically for a gathering at my house. Two days prior to the gathering I thought I'd sample. Ooops, forgot to turn the little blue on off valves. So I opened them and cranked up the over pressure to 31 psi. Its one better than 30. A couple hours before the gathering I turned it down to 12 and vented. Turned out great, but I wouldn't do it that way if I hadn't made the mistake. I far prefer the proper pressure and at least a week.
I've also cut a half inch off all of my dip tubes. Instead of a pint or three of yeast, the first pint is awesome. When the keg blows there's only a cup or so left behind.

Offline diegov

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2016, 09:24:44 am »
Hi, I return to this topic to ask a new question, the method of forced carbonation shaking barrel I do not like much.
I'm looking to know if there is any pump inline carbonated beer, beer basically goes through a pump where this is carbonated and from there goes straight to the barrel.
Someone knows some ??
Thank you