Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wow!  (Read 5093 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Wow!
« on: January 16, 2014, 06:43:12 pm »
I had a bit of an oh crap moment today. Last week I brewed a hybrid and a pale ale. Both about 1.048 OG. These were done with a third generation repitch. 2112 and 1728 respectively.

I pulled the blowoffs last night and installed airlocks. This afternoon I found them dead still. No bubbles at all. I figure the lids weren't sealed, but they were. So I took gravity readings. Both are 1.013 with zero DMS, Acetaldehyde, or Diacetyl. This usually takes me 3 weeks, but it's only been 6 days!

I am now convinced it's possible. The difference in these batches and prior batches are my equipment upgrade (installed pump, direct heat recirculation in MT, and 60' 1/2" whirlpool IC), doubled my mixstir aeration time, 3rd generation repitch at Mr Malty amounts. Fermentation temps have not changed, still 55°.

I'm going to give the hybrid another week just to be sure on Diacetyl. Kegging the pale ale tonight and brewing another.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Re: Wow!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 06:45:37 pm »
I understand some of this  :o So the big deal is that you've used the same yeast 3x now? And it's speeding up fermentation on future batches?

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 07:21:29 pm »
I'm going to give the hybrid another week just to be sure on Diacetyl.

Google "forced diacetyl test" and save yourself a week.  ;)

And yes, it's possible. I like getting my Dupont strain as a fresh dump from a good friend's fermenter. It ferments to 1.006 from 1.050 or so in 8 days. Yes, the Dupont strain can finish in 8 days. There. I said it.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 08:16:34 pm »
I understand some of this  :o So the big deal is that you've used the same yeast 3x now? And it's speeding up fermentation on future batches?

That's the obvious difference but I'm sure it's a combo of things.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 08:17:40 pm »

And yes, it's possible. I like getting my Dupont strain as a fresh dump from a good friend's fermenter. It ferments to 1.006 from 1.050 or so in 8 days. Yes, the Dupont strain can finish in 8 days. There. I said it.

I'll check that out but since I was planning on 4 weeks, I can wait another week.

Offline guerrinha

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 03:06:00 am »
Hi guys!

What are good sources to read about growing yeats? Can you share any good readings about that?

Also, can you do what you did for as many generations as you want?

Thanks!
Cheers!

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 03:52:28 am »
Yes, you can repitch indefinitely but over several repeats it may be hard to keep the original yeasts character or not get too many wild yeast in it. I probably will limit mine to under ten generations before starting from a fresh batch.

Offline guerrinha

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 05:49:22 am »
Yes, you can repitch indefinitely but over several repeats it may be hard to keep the original yeasts character or not get too many wild yeast in it. I probably will limit mine to under ten generations before starting from a fresh batch.

Nice!! Want to try that! :)

What did you read about that?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 07:03:04 am »

+1.  Happened for me too ! 
Jon H.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 07:05:50 am »
What are good sources to read about growing yeats? Can you share any good readings about that?

The new book called "Yeast" is a great resource. Probably has everything you want to know.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 07:52:36 am »

I stopped using it.  Too finicky combined with too lazy.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 08:01:42 am »
Some yeasts can go more generations. A local brewpub is on #42 with Essex (WLP022). The primary  fermentations are done in 3 days, which is fairly typical for ale breweries.

Lager Yeasts are said to be more finicky, and those breweries go <10 generations. A good lager fermentation will be done in 6 days or so for primary.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 08:04:13 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 08:06:46 am »

Wyeast probably didn't stress enough over the years the ferm temp requirements of that yeast. Amanda emailed them last year about 3724 and they replied that it needs to ferment @ 90F +.  It stalled on me a few times before knowing that, like it does for most people at cooler temps.  I've fermented it twice now @ 90F and it works fantastic there.
Jon H.

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 08:11:07 am »

The primary  fermentations are done in 3 days, which is fairly typical for ale breweries.

3 days!! Wow! I'm trying to figure out how to get from grain to glass the quickest while keeping the beer's character. Sounds to me like you get quicker fermentation when you reuse yeast.
Trey W.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 08:12:22 am »

Wyeast probably didn't stress enough over the years the ferm temp requirements of that yeast. Amanda emailed them last year about 3724 and they replied that it needs to ferment @ 90F +.  It stalled on me a few times before knowing that, like it does for most people at cooler temps.  I've fermented it twice now @ 90F and it works fantastic there.
[/quote]

That's where the lazy comes in.  I've followed most of the threads about it, as I think it's spectacular when it works, but I'd have to invest time and effort into a way to warm my fermenters.  I use BBs and I'm not too keen on strapping a brew belt or other heat source directly to the plastic.  I have trouble getting beers above 70 in my basement.  Cool I can do, warm is a whole different thing.  Space to build a warming chamber is not currently available.

So, for now 3711 will be my choice.  And I have a slurry in the fridge so I need to plan to use it.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton