Author Topic: Wow!  (Read 1084 times)

Offline guerrinha

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
Re: Wow!
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 08:28:09 AM »
What are good sources to read about growing yeats? Can you share any good readings about that?

The new book called "Yeast" is a great resource. Probably has everything you want to know.

Is this the one you mentioned?

Offline scottNU

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 08:29:45 AM »
That's the one.  It's a very good homebrewer resource.

Offline morticaixavier

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Davis, CA
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2014, 08:41:19 AM »

The primary  fermentations are done in 3 days, which is fairly typical for ale breweries.

3 days!! Wow! I'm trying to figure out how to get from grain to glass the quickest while keeping the beer's character. Sounds to me like you get quicker fermentation when you reuse yeast.

there are some strains that seem to work better on second+ generations but the important thing is getting enough yeast in a young, vigorous, and healthy enough state to do what they need to do quickly and without producing a bunch of gunk that they then need to clean up, which takes more time.

I've gone grain to glass in 8 days on a small ordinary bitter (1.038~ IIRC) and it was right on. I did have to quick carb it in the keg to get it there.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time" - A. Einstein

Jonathan I Fuller

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • St. Louis, MO
    • View Profile
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014, 12:29:57 PM »

Google "forced diacetyl test" and save yourself a week.  ;)

THIS
@southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments:
http://southhousepilotbrewery.blogspot.com/

STLHops Homebrew Club:
http://STLHops.com/

cornershot

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2014, 12:48:51 PM »
I had a bit of an oh crap moment today. Last week I brewed a hybrid and a pale ale. Both about 1.048 OG. These were done with a third generation repitch. 2112 and 1728 respectively.

I pulled the blowoffs last night and installed airlocks. This afternoon I found them dead still. No bubbles at all. I figure the lids weren't sealed, but they were. So I took gravity readings. Both are 1.013 with zero DMS, Acetaldehyde, or Diacetyl. This usually takes me 3 weeks, but it's only been 6 days!

I am now convinced it's possible. The difference in these batches and prior batches are my equipment upgrade (installed pump, direct heat recirculation in MT, and 60' 1/2" whirlpool IC), doubled my mixstir aeration time, 3rd generation repitch at Mr Malty amounts. Fermentation temps have not changed, still 55°.

I'm going to give the hybrid another week just to be sure on Diacetyl. Kegging the pale ale tonight and brewing another.
My guess is the extra aeration helped. What was your previous mixstir aeration time?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2014, 06:06:14 PM »
Package and drink. ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline klickitat jim

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2014, 06:39:16 PM »
I had a bit of an oh crap moment today. Last week I brewed a hybrid and a pale ale. Both about 1.048 OG. These were done with a third generation repitch. 2112 and 1728 respectively.

I pulled the blowoffs last night and installed airlocks. This afternoon I found them dead still. No bubbles at all. I figure the lids weren't sealed, but they were. So I took gravity readings. Both are 1.013 with zero DMS, Acetaldehyde, or Diacetyl. This usually takes me 3 weeks, but it's only been 6 days!

I am now convinced it's possible. The difference in these batches and prior batches are my equipment upgrade (installed pump, direct heat recirculation in MT, and 60' 1/2" whirlpool IC), doubled my mixstir aeration time, 3rd generation repitch at Mr Malty amounts. Fermentation temps have not changed, still 55°.

I'm going to give the hybrid another week just to be sure on Diacetyl. Kegging the pale ale tonight and brewing another.
My guess is the extra aeration helped. What was your previous mixstir aeration time?

Not timed but I'd guess about 2 min. On this one and all since, I'm doing about 2 min twice.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2014, 07:23:13 PM »

Not timed but I'd guess about 2 min. On this one and all since, I'm doing about 2 min twice.

I don't know Jim.  I've used a mix-stir until the froth hits the top of the bucket for years before pitching. There is a saturation point- if you use the mix-stir until it hits that point, I don't think you're under-oxygenating. I think the improvement comes elsewhere.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2014, 02:34:46 AM »
Could be. Probably finally pitching right
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 03:15:39 AM by klickitat jim »

Offline ynotbrusum

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Da mihi sis cerevisiam.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2014, 05:52:29 AM »
The repitches are fresh and plentiful cells.  Good aeration combined with temperature control makes those repitches hit all the ideal conditions.  I agree that too many generations out can get sluggish or problematic yeast characteristics, but I have gone over 20 repitches on a lager yeast without a problem (I use Wyeast yeast nutrient religiously, though, meaning I use the nutrient and pray).  These days I rarely repitch more than 5-6 times.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline klickitat jim

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2014, 12:39:08 AM »
This is apparently what happens when your process gets tightened up. Now I NEED a lagering freezer, like soon.

Online Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2014, 05:28:15 AM »
This is apparently what happens when your process gets tightened up. Now I NEED a lagering freezer, like soon.

Better get one that fits those nice new much wider fermenters more efficiently then;)
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline klickitat jim

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2014, 05:45:57 AM »
Their pretty much identical size. Its just that my kegs are catching up with me.

Offline klickitat jim

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2014, 03:37:58 AM »
Doh!!!

I had a couple finish clean and quick, but my next one to be done was showing a high FG. I've been trying to think what I did different and I believe I know what it is.

On this high FG beer I remember setting the fermentor into the temp control freezer before aeration with my mix stir.

So, if 5 gallons of 1.003 will produce about 2 volumes... 1.030 would produce 20 volumes. 20 x 5 is 100 gallons of CO2 gas. More than enough to fill a freezer. Three fermentors would clearly be enough to push all of the air out. Now you have to open the lid to set the new fermentor in, but very little of the CO2 will exchange with fresh air because it's cold and won't all spill out. So when I was aerating with it in that CO2 rich environment I'll bet I wasn't aerating as well as I thought.

Note, if aerating with a mix stir do it in fresh air, not the freezer.

Offline morticaixavier

• Davis, CA
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2014, 08:34:51 AM »
Doh!!!

I had a couple finish clean and quick, but my next one to be done was showing a high FG. I've been trying to think what I did different and I believe I know what it is.

On this high FG beer I remember setting the fermentor into the temp control freezer before aeration with my mix stir.

So, if 5 gallons of 1.003 will produce about 2 volumes... 1.030 would produce 20 volumes. 20 x 5 is 100 gallons of CO2 gas. More than enough to fill a freezer. Three fermentors would clearly be enough to push all of the air out. Now you have to open the lid to set the new fermentor in, but very little of the CO2 will exchange with fresh air because it's cold and won't all spill out. So when I was aerating with it in that CO2 rich environment I'll bet I wasn't aerating as well as I thought.

Note, if aerating with a mix stir do it in fresh air, not the freezer.
interesting thought. seems feasible to me. I'm sure there was fair amount of mixing but the o2 level was probably not as high as ambient.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time" - A. Einstein

Jonathan I Fuller