Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Berliner Weiss Starter question  (Read 2242 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Berliner Weiss Starter question
« on: March 13, 2014, 08:03:29 am »
I am going to try a BW when the weather gets a little warmer.  I was planning on using both an ale yeast (maybe German Alt) and the Lacto from White Labs.  I am going to try the Brewstrong recommendation of pitching both at the same time.
I'm wondering if I need a starter for the Alt yeast or if I should just pitch a vial of each per 5 gals.  The gravity will be on the low side anyway. 

My logic is that a large pitch won't leave as much for the lacto to eat although I realize that they will eat more than what the yeast will. 
Thanks

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Berliner Weiss Starter question
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 08:13:01 am »
I can't imagine a fresh vial won't contain enough yeast for a low abv beer like this.

FWIW, I've never had a satisfying BW made by adding lacto with yeast like this. Trouble is lacto eats simple sugars, but yeast eat them all first. It's very slow to sour after that.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 10:42:32 am »
So add the lacto a day or two before? 

I don't want to screw around with a sour mash because what I've read about having to limit oxygen etc seems to scare me a bit. 

I've never even had a Berliner weiss, can't find one around here anywhere but I like the idea which is why I'm looking to invest into a 5 gal batch.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 11:04:33 am »
I've never done this, nor do I know anyone who has. But maybe you could chill to 90F and pitch lacto. Let it sit for a day, slowly cooling to 65F, then pitch yeast. Hmm. You should definitely try it and let us know if it works. This is basically the sour wort process, but skipping the boil in the middle.

Or is this useless because I'm using Fahrenheit?  ;)
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 11:26:15 am »
Fare-n-hite??? :)

I like that idea. I'm brewing in the garage now at about -10 real degrees so I will have to wait a bit because wort left in there chills down pretty fast.
I will try dropping to 35C or so, pitching the lacto and then the yeast the next day. Beer never last that long for me so having to wait months to sour might not happen.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 11:46:29 am »
real degrees
Kelvin? Just so you know, 35 kelvin might kill your yeast.

And Berliner without sourness is just kinda-wheaty blahness. Not much else in the recipe to hold it up.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 11:57:18 am »
as I understand the process the lacto will either work very slowly or not at all at temps the ale yeast will like and the ale yeast will just throw a big hot mess at the temps the lacto like. mtnrockhopper's idea sounds like a winner to me. I'm planning my first BW this summer when temps at my house reach ~37-45C, 100-113f, or 310-318K whichever comes first.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 12:31:22 pm »
Somebody posted a few weeks ago that the Wyeast/WL lacto cultures were selected for high 70's(F) rather than warmer 100F (47.2 Reaumur).
AHA Member since 2006

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 05:32:23 pm »
real degrees
Kelvin? Just so you know, 35 kelvin might kill your yeast.
They're the same thing, they just start counting 273 degrees apart. Luckily I can do both ( or all 3).

http://m.imgur.com/3ZidINK

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 05:39:35 pm »
Quote from: morticaixavier link=topic=18626.msg237451#msg237451 date=~37-45C, 100-113f, or 310-318K whichever comes first.
[/quote
Temps at my house will never reach that high. I may need to artificially apply heat. My coworker in Texas won't let me come visit because he thinks I will die.

Really excited to try this.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 06:39:26 am »
I agree you should add the lacto first and let it sour before pitching your yeast. Far easier to hit the level of acidity you want and then add the yeast than to force the two organisms to compete at the same time. The yeast will normally win.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing