Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I'm excited  (Read 4095 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
I'm excited
« on: January 16, 2014, 09:46:22 pm »
The Yakima Brewers HB Club just had its first meeting of the year, finally back at Hop Union.  Zach, the quality control manager for Hop Union was there to give some samples of hops that they want feedback on.  I came away with 6 oz. of HBC 291 (total oil 2.3, AA 11.7).  Aromas are supposed to be majoring on floral, spicy, citrus.

I find myself wishing I had another 3-6 onces in order to brew a proper IPA, but I should be able to brew a Pale Ale that would showcase the single hop.  Anyway, very excited to experiment with a new hop variety!
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
Re: I'm excited
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 10:02:50 pm »
Very cool.  Regional perks!! 8)

You might consider making a smaller volume batch if you still want to go for an IPA.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 07:37:32 am »
Really cool.  Be sure to post how it comes out !
Jon H.

Offline ibru

• Assistant Brewer
  • Brew Day is My Day!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 08:50:11 am »
Congrats on your score Steve.

I remember the "old club" used to have a meeting at Hop Union a couple times a year. Ralph used to get a kick out of turning us loose in the packaged hops cooler. Then we'd go upstairs and smoke cigars, drink some brew, and BS for hours. Last summer at brew school brought back a lot of memories at we toured that area and the "rec room".

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 09:23:27 am »
Congrats on your score Steve.

I remember the "old club" used to have a meeting at Hop Union a couple times a year. Ralph used to get a kick out of turning us loose in the packaged hops cooler. Then we'd go upstairs and smoke cigars, drink some brew, and BS for hours. Last summer at brew school brought back a lot of memories at we toured that area and the "rec room".

And you noticed the big "No Smoking" signs posted around now? Things definitely have changed there

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 11:18:40 am »
Ha!  Yeah I've never smoked a cigar in the game room...  But I'm game to.  I have been continually impressed with what a friendly, open company Hop Union is.  Every person I have met there has been terrific at community relations - and it seems genuine - not like a job they are doing.

One of the most enticing aspects of brewing for me is experimentation.  I hope to be increasingly involved.  Not just with new hop varieties or even club oriented experiments, but my own little ones as well.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 04:01:22 pm »
That sounds frickin fantastic. Keep us updated! Color me jealous!

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 09:56:57 pm »
Wow, that's really cool!  Looking forward to your results.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 06:35:06 am »
Yeah, I've been planning to brew a Russian Imperial Stout next...  I may have to change that.  Curiosity does more than kill cats.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 06:57:26 am »
I guess if it were me I would brew 5 gallons of a 1.058ish pale and bitter with 1 oz, 2 oz at flame out and the rest dry hops. Feel free to send me the 6 oz and I'd be happy to do that for you.  ;)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 09:02:39 am »
I guess if it were me I would brew 5 gallons of a 1.058ish pale and bitter with 1 oz, 2 oz at flame out and the rest dry hops. Feel free to send me the 6 oz and I'd be happy to do that for you.  ;)

That is what I was thinking.  I mean the recipe part, not the send it to you part.  ;)
Steve
BJCP #D1667

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 11:09:07 am »
Nice score! I have 4 ounces from the 2012 crop of the 291 that I haven't brewed yet. I actually have 7 or 8 different experimental varieties that I will be running through my 1-gallon Pale Ale process sometime this spring. I'll be interested to hear your results.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 11:44:16 am »
I bet if you asked the guy for six more ounces he would be glad to share. Those guys at Hop Union are pretty cool. Offer him a six pack of the finished product.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 11:49:54 am »
Nice score! I have 4 ounces from the 2012 crop of the 291 that I haven't brewed yet. I actually have 7 or 8 different experimental varieties that I will be running through my 1-gallon Pale Ale process sometime this spring. I'll be interested to hear your results.

erockrph - ever use any Azacca hops?  My great LHBS is getting some new varieties and the guys there are pretty fond of it.  They describe it as citrusy, stone-fruity, with some pine. ~ 13 -16% AA. I'm gonna work it into an APA or AIPA soon.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 12:06:44 pm »

erockrph - ever use any Azacca hops?  My great LHBS is getting some new varieties and the guys there are pretty fond of it.  They describe it as citrusy, stone-fruity, with some pine. ~ 13 -16% AA. I'm gonna work it into an APA or AIPA soon.

Just got mine in from Yakima Valley a couple of days ago. I'll be including these with my other experimental single-hopped beers.

It's really incredible how many new and experimental hop varieties are around right now. What is even more surprising is that most of them have distinct flavor profiles, and aren't too similar to existing varieties. I'd say that at least half of these new hops go into my toolkit immediately, another quarter are reserved for niche purposes, and maybe only a quarter I have no use for. That's a pretty good record given how many varieties we already have to choose from. It will be interesting to see how many survive the test of time in 10 years or so.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer