Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: overcarbed keg  (Read 5441 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
overcarbed keg
« on: March 26, 2014, 02:03:54 pm »
Hey All.

I recently pulled out kegs and the CO2 tank from the fridge so I could do a much needed cleaning. I mixed up the kegs when I put everything back. A beer that was already carbed got mixed up with a new batch that I just kegged. I had the CO2 on 20 psi for one keg only when I normally serve around 10 psi. I usually disconnect old kegs and put a new batch on 20 psi for a couple of days to carb it quicker.

The old keg is overcarbed and is actually something I have not ran into yet. What is the best way to fix it? Just purge CO2 a couple of times a day until it seems normal then return to 10 psi?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: overcarbed keg
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 02:08:12 pm »
Yes. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 02:08:39 pm »
Yes, but if you pull a couple beers over a couple days it will go faster.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 02:11:26 pm »
Alternatively you could vent, shake, vent, shake, and repeat until it is where you want it, then return to 10 psi.  I don't like that in practice because after a couple of times of doing it there is beer spraying out of the PRV when you vent the keg.  If the keg isn't full you might have more luck with that.

Another option is to leave the PRV in the open position and let it go flat over a day or so, then put pressure back on.  You can rig a type of airlock if you are concerned about air/critter ingress.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 02:20:12 pm »
Another option is to leave the PRV in the open position and let it go flat over a day or so, then put pressure back on.  You can rig a type of airlock if you are concerned about air/critter ingress.

Best option. 

If you really want to speed up the process, let it warm up too.  I wouldn't do that, cause i still don't like cooling and warming beer, even if its a wive's tale, but not sure how quickly you need the keg ready.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 02:31:05 pm »
Thanks guys.

It's not a big deal just wasn't paying attention. I will plan to purge it a couple of times a day while the correct keg carbs at 20 PSI. Hopefully it will be in decent shape by the weekend.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 04:01:52 pm »
You've got plenty of time from now until the weekend.  No worries.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 04:23:48 pm »
Yeah its back to being fine already. I purged it maybe 3 times. Went to pour a sample and I had to put it back on CO2 to get it to fully dispense. I thought it would take longer for some reason...

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 09:20:40 pm »
Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.  All pouring a sample did was show that the amount of CO2 in the headspace was not enough to push out a full pour.  That could be because it is flatter, or it could be because it had not yet equilibrated.  You'll find out soon enough though, as it sits longer.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 07:07:53 am »
Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.  All pouring a sample did was show that the amount of CO2 in the headspace was not enough to push out a full pour.  That could be because it is flatter, or it could be because it had not yet equilibrated.  You'll find out soon enough though, as it sits longer.

yeah - gas is slow to come out of a cold solution. 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281