Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fizz drops  (Read 6408 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Fizz drops
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 08:57:20 pm »
They didn't fit in my bottles.  So I tried the Prime Dose.  First batch was undercarbed.  Got dinged in a comp for low carbonation.  Live and learn, I guess.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2014, 11:32:18 am »
Any other updates?

I'm wondering if it would be less work for me to bottle four to six bottles of beer with carb tabs or their ilk when I'm packaging and to keg the rest, rather than kegging all the beer and then bottling a few bottles off the keg.  Your thoughts?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2014, 11:33:22 am »
Any other updates?

I'm wondering if it would be less work for me to bottle four to six bottles of beer with carb tabs or their ilk when I'm packaging and to keg the rest, rather than kegging all the beer and then bottling a few bottles off the keg.  Your thoughts?

I have done this on occasion. I just made a simple syrup of known gravity and measured it into the bottles but same idea. put the beer in the keg, hook up the co2 and push flat beer into primed bottles.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2014, 11:42:29 am »
Any other updates?

I used to do this regularly.  My experience (and I may be repeating myself) is that the Munton's Carb Tabs left white waxy chunks in the beer that were particularly unappealing.  Especially when you're picking them out of your teeth.  They did the job on carbing though and give you a good degree of control.  The Cooper's Carb Drops (and Brewer's Best, I think they're the same thing) over carbonate at the recommended dosage.  Since the dosage is one drop per 12 oz bottle, it's hard to get any control.  Two drops in bombers and/or champagne bottles also overcarb.

I'd go with a method like Mort suggests that gives you more control.  But that's a little more work.

I'm planning to try sugar cubes, but I haven't found them locally just yet.  Only checked at Target.  Need to check Jewel.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline cloud254

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2014, 07:28:32 pm »
This is what I use to carbonate my bottles. So far I have had no problems and after 2-3 weeks, the beer taste great and the carb is just right.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/fermenters-favorites-fizz-drops-8-oz.html

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2014, 08:39:30 pm »
Thanks.  The one size fits all aspect of the drops aren't appealing particularly when the reason for bottling is for a homebrew competition.  I've also done the homemade syrup so that 1 tsp/bottle of syrup got me the carbonation, but that was also a bit of a pain too.

Offline Noah0504

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2014, 03:26:51 pm »
I've had good luck with the Brewer's Best Conditioning Tabs.  I've seen many people complain about white floaties in their beer after using the tabs, and while I've noticed this in bottles that are still conditioning, it's never been present in bottles that have been pulled from the fridge.

As I don't exactly have the room for a keg setup, I always bottle condition my beers.  I usually batch prime, but if I decided to put half the batch in a Party Pig, I will use the tabs for the remaining 18 bottles or so.  I've thought about trying the Fizz Drops, but haven't yet.