Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 417360 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend? 01/18/2014
« Reply #105 on: June 22, 2014, 04:32:34 pm »
I brewed yesterday for only the fourth time this year.  I made 10 gallons of some sort of European Pilsner wort.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
What's Brewing this Weekend? 01/18/2014
« Reply #106 on: June 22, 2014, 08:05:47 pm »
Today I made a 5 gallon batch of saison, following Amanda K's recipe of 90%belgian pils, 10% Belgian Munich. Bittered with Willamette; Nelson at 20&0. Nailed OG of 1.051 and volume of 5 right on as well. Chilled then had dinner with the inlaws while ferm wrap brought me back up to 90 for 1.4L pitch of 3724. First saison, first of anything at this temp. Let's hope that SWMBO loves it!

Sent from The Alpine Brewery using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 09:15:15 pm by 69franx »
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #107 on: June 22, 2014, 08:20:29 pm »
Today I made a 5 gallon batch of saison, following Amanda K's recipe of 90%belgian pils, 10% Belgian Munich. Bittered with Willamette; Nelson at 20&0. Nailed OG of 1.051 and volume of 5 right on as well. Chilled then had dinner with the inlaws while ferm wrap brought me back up to 90 for 1.4L pitch of 3274. First saison, first of anything at this temp. Let's hope that SWMBO loves it!

I think you're gonna be pretty happy, Frank. I know it seems counterintuitive to ferment that warm  - it did to me.  I think I hit terminal gravity with 3724 (1.002 IIRC) in ~ 9 or 10 days at the recommended temp. And the Nelson brings that white grape thing that's such a complement to the tart saison. You'll have to post how it comes out for you. Cheers !
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #108 on: June 22, 2014, 08:59:07 pm »
Thanks Jon. It's a pretty simple recipe. I'm not planning any extra flavoring a: spices or fruit, etc. I'll give it 2-2.5 weeks to clean up, then crash and bottle. I'm assuming since 3724 likes it that warm that a good crash will drop it like nobody's business. It's also the lightest in color of anything I've made so far. Beersmith has it at 4.7, a little low for style, but if we like it, I don't care about the style guide line as far as color goes

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #109 on: July 04, 2014, 02:08:50 pm »
I don't know if my ESB will be an ESB, but it was fun winging a recipe off my head.
6# golden promise
3# victory
2# brown
1# c40
Mashing at 156
18g magnum at 60
28g EKG at 15
Pitching a repitch of 1728 from yesterday's kegging

Its at 1.020 so far. I'll give it another week. But holy moly the flavor is definitely nutty buscuity goodness. Probably more of a northern English brown but big on flavor

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #110 on: July 05, 2014, 01:55:31 pm »
Just got a 1yr. beer in the carboy.  It is an ambic....(american lambic) ECY bug farm, best malz pilz,
wheat berries  and a bit of brewers sugar to up the gravity from the turbid (inefficient) mash, a touch of
lactose for the bugs  later on in the fermentation, 3.75 oz of aged hops.....O.G. 1.050
Was a beast to brew but we will see in a year or so what this day produced. Put it in a glass carboy
so I could see the evolution of the beer thru it's microbial steps. 8)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 02:06:27 pm by 1vertical »
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #111 on: July 05, 2014, 02:08:44 pm »
Just got a 1yr. beer in the carboy.  It is an ambic....(american lambic) ECY bug farm, best malz pilz,
wheat berries  and a bit of brewers sugar to up the gravity from the turbid (inefficient) mash,
3.75 oz of aged hops.....O.G. 1.050
Was a beast to brew but we will see in a year or so what this day produced. Put it in a glass carboy
so I could see the evolution of the beer thru it's microbial steps. 8)

Yumm!  I really need to try making a sour beer via the traditional process. 

I had a friend over recently who's just getting into homebrewing, and offered him a sour beer - an oud kriek I had made from a Michael Tonsmeire recipe utilizing the "sour worting" technique, whereby you do a lacto starter, sour the entire runoff for three days, then go to the boil and ferment with the wort fully soured.  My buddy at first recoiled from it, but it was fun to see his changing expression finally to one of pleasure as he drained the glass.

He said that he's tasted only a couple/few sour beers, and that his predisposition to them was prejudiced because the first time he heard about sour beers was while watching the Boston episode of the television show "Brew Dogs" where the guys joined the owner of Samuel Adams in a hot tub full of wort to obtain the sour bugs to inoculate it from their naked bodies.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 02:10:41 pm by brewsumore »

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #112 on: July 05, 2014, 02:15:23 pm »
HIGHLY suggest 2 ppl to pull this off.  One runoff of turbid liquid needs to be baby sat at 176 * F for
and extended time.....difficult to do If you are brewing the rest of the steps concurrently.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #113 on: July 05, 2014, 02:27:12 pm »
Oh... had to read that twice. I thought you were suggesting only two people for the hot tub inoculate. In any event, I think if I ever do the human inoculation method it will be two hot chicks. No Koch in my beer please.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #114 on: July 05, 2014, 02:40:06 pm »
I brewed Rye IPA yesterday, my first brew in 2 1/2 months.  Gonna do Herman's Rochefort recipe later this week after the weather cools down some.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #115 on: July 05, 2014, 02:45:51 pm »
Denny that is one great recipe and beer!  (was the basis for my solera + cherry)
oh and your Burbon BBl porter rocks as well.  did you ever check out that john mclaughlin music?

Offline BrewBama

What's Brewing this Weekend? 01/18/2014
« Reply #116 on: July 05, 2014, 02:46:51 pm »
Well I was suppose to brew the Regal Pale Ale today but I did not factor in the holiday in my shipment. Down here in Huntsville there aren't any LHBS so everything is mail order. It'll be here Mon. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 02:57:49 pm by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #117 on: July 05, 2014, 02:52:53 pm »
Denny that is one great recipe and beer!  (was the basis for my solera + cherry)
oh and your Burbon BBl porter rocks as well.  did you ever check out that john mclaughlin music?

Ya know, I totally spaced the McLaughlin!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #118 on: July 05, 2014, 02:53:37 pm »
Well I was suppose to brew the Regal Pale Ale today but I did not factor in the holiday in my shipment. Down here in Huntsville there aren't any LHBS. It'll be here Mon. LOL

Huntsville?  You should have hit up Keith for what you needed!  :)

www.dennybrew.com

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #119 on: July 05, 2014, 02:59:23 pm »

Well I was suppose to brew the Regal Pale Ale today but I did not factor in the holiday in my shipment. Down here in Huntsville there aren't any LHBS. It'll be here Mon. LOL

Huntsville?  You should have hit up Keith for what you needed!  :)

Keith?!?!  Please pass his info. I'd much rather support locally.